ESET firewall blocks me from using ssh tunnel

Jie Lu

My company requires me to activate the firewall but it blocks me completely from using ssh tunnel. And I just can't work now without ssh tunnel.

I tried deactivating firewall and everything works fine, this really discourages me from using ESET

• Administrators

If you run the firewall troubleshooting wizard, do you see any recent blocked communication which, when allowed, makes the issue go away?

image.png

Hello Marcos,

Thanks for your reply, but I can't find this troubleshooting in my ESET (sorry that's in French and I don't know how to change the language)

image.thumb.png.f18db472d14adcdf80af3162dcac48a8.png

• Administrators

Ok, you have Endpoint Security for Mac which explains it. The firewall troubleshooting wizard is available only under Windows.

Please collect logs as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb3404-use-eset-logcollector-on-macos-and-send-the-logs-to-eset-technical-support and open a support ticket with your local ESET distributor.

Do you use the office / home fw profile? If so, does activating interactive firewall mode and creating the necessary rule help?

Yes I tried interactive mode and it helps me to create a rule to allow ssh tunnel usage and now it works!

Thank you very much

• Most Valued Members

Allow your SSH Port in your ESET Firewall , and add specific addresses to be able to access that SSH port , having your SSH open to the public , is like leaving your home's door open and waiting for somebody to get in.

UPDATE : We've posted at the same time , glad you sorted it out , just limit access to certain IP Addresses that will save you from brute-forcing bots that will keep searching for targets on the internet.

Edited by Nightowl