Ambiguous notification preferences

I am owner of the Oculus Rift S VR headset which EIS for some weird reason considers to be a webcam, probably due to the presence of inside out tracking cameras. Rift S software automatically wakes up headset on the slightest motion to start tracking in case user would want to put headset on and start using it. This is so sensitive that the tracking is woken up even if I just slightly bump into my table, so I see this notification roughly 20 times a day, which is very irritating:

image.png.e415c53d9da962403629551501e470d9.png

First problem is that this notification should not even show up. Rift S should not be considered a webcam.

The bigger problem here is that the "Disable Notifications" is extremely ambiguous. Does it mean disabling all the notifications (that would be very dangerous) or just the notification of this category (Webcam access allowed). The user interface needs improvements in this area, because user needs to be clearly aware of what the implications of these options are. I myself don't know if Disable notification disables all the notifications, therefore I would not be notified about an actual threats.

• Administrators

You can disable notifications for particular application that utilizes the webcam in the Device Control -> Webcam protection setup:

image.png

As for the pop-up menu in alerts, while I understand that addition a caption "General notification settings" might clear things up for some users, it is not typical even for Windows itself to display additional descriptions there. You can, however, provide feedback or suggestions through your local ESET distributor.

image.png

1 hour ago, Marcos said:

You can disable notifications for particular application that utilizes the webcam in the Device Control -> Webcam protection setup:

image.png

As for the pop-up menu in alerts, while I understand that addition a caption "General notification settings" might clear things up for some users, it is not typical even for Windows itself to display additional descriptions there. You can, however, provide feedback or suggestions through your local ESET distributor.

image.png

Thanks, this is sufficient solution. I had no idea that option to turn off notification per exclusion is there. They are usually dug too deep in the overcomplicated setup section so I almost never find these, and if I ever find anything useful, I tend to forget where it was within a week... :)

So I have to get back to this thread. Apparently EIS updates tend to reset that notify checkbox back to enabled every once in a while, so I have to keep going back to preferences and uncheck it all the time :(

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Are you talking about webcam notifications or some other notifications  or alerts?

Just the webcam one is the one I've noticed. It's a third time in a week I had to disabled the notification checkbox as it spontaneously turned itself back on.

1 hour ago, rawalanche said:

Just the webcam one is the one I've noticed. It's a third time in a week I had to disabled the notification checkbox as it spontaneously turned itself back on.

Unfortunately, it is common for Win 10 to reset options selectively back to default values after Win Updates; especially security updates.

Edited by itman