Getting fed up with firewall

Hi,

I play a lot of online games and when I first install them and give them the ok through the firewall everything is great, until the game or launcher updates. Suddenly the firewall will block the newly updated file, which you would expect, but it never prompts me to allow it again. Even going in and editing the entry does not work. I usually have to delete the entry and create a new one. I am a Norton convert and I never had this happen with Norton. What can I do about this?

Thanks for any info!

Joe

You could try setting the firewall to Learning Mode for a short while so all necessary rules will be created automatically. Then switch back to the mode you want to use.

• Administrators

The current version of ESS has a bug which causes that no prompt window pops up if a network-aware application with communication previously allowed is modified (e.g. updated). You can try excluding these applications from modification detection under Network -> Personal firewall -> Application modification detection.

The current version of ESS has a bug which causes that no prompt window pops up if a network-aware application with communication previously allowed is modified (e.g. updated). You can try excluding these applications from modification detection under Network -> Personal firewall -> Application modification detection.

Yeah this is something i have experienced, and i always have to delete my rules for the game and recreate in learning and switch back to interactive again.

I've experienced a somewhat related bug in Interactive mode. It tends to get processes (Everything from game launchers, DRM solutions to browsers) "stuck" in limbo for a random amount of time. It only occurs if it blocks the network activity of the first execution of the process, I can reproduce it reliably and prevent it from happening, but it's very tiresome.

I.e Install a game, or web browser that uses a launcher or similar.

Execute the new program, program tries to access DNS or a website, ESET prompts, I create a rule for allowing it via the prompt. Then the process just hangs in memory and does nothing until it's relaunched.

It never actually allows traffic for a new process if I create a permanent rule for it via the prompt on first execution, it usually works on the second or third launch, never immediately as it should.

The first network activity request is apparently hosed until relaunch no matter what, which wouldn't be a huge deal but I can't even kill the zombie with ProcessHacker, and some games for example will detect themselves running. (For example, Steam based) and prevent another from being launched while that one is in memory.

I use interactive mode as I don't want it to blindly allow everything I run.

Edit: Related to the hidden/missing/overlapping prompts? ESET locks the "Zombie" until the prompt is answered again? Speed at which network requests are sent out by the unknown/undefined application leading to it? First Execution->Prompt->Application sends more network requests, ESET more prompts while first prompt is being answered->Extra prompts "missing" (Due to first prompt being interacted with?) prompts go unanswered so application just drools in the background?

Found it with ProcessHacker, some prompts are just being hidden. I can bring them forward and go through the normal shenanigans of setting up another rule, blocking it or whatever for the additional, extra prompts once I force it to be visible and bring it to the front. (Though I already did one set for the same application at the sametime.) Once done it allows the other, "zombie" process to die out peacefully.

Edited by Nizrax000

Hey Nizrax

I wanted to respond to your quote here

Execute the new program, program tries to access DNS or a website, ESET prompts, I create a rule for allowing it via the prompt. Then the process just hangs in memory and does nothing until it's relaunched.

It never actually allows traffic for a new process if I create a permanent rule for it via the prompt on first execution, it usually works on the second or third launch, never immediately as it should.

I would have to say, that i too have seen this from time to time, however it is not with every program i use, only some.

I suspect that the problem isn't with ESET, but that the program does not proceed if the query is not answered in a timely manner, or after a certain number of attempts, resulting in a rotation of closing the program, and relaunching after the rule is created.

I have experienced many programs where developers don't account for situations like this. In these types of situations or programs, the directories have to be excluded up front, and the rules created up front as well.

Although, Interactive and learning modes sure are the easiest and fastest way to get your rule created. :)

Edited by Arakasi

Edit: Related to the hidden/missing/overlapping prompts? (...)

Found it with ProcessHacker, some prompts are just being hidden. I can bring them forward and go through the normal shenanigans of setting up another rule, blocking it or whatever for the additional, extra prompts once I force it to be visible and bring it to the front. (Though I already did one set for the same application at the sametime.) Once done it allows the other, "zombie" process to die out peacefully.

With ProcessHacker do you mean hxxp://processhacker.sourceforge.net/? I have tried this, but found nothing in Process Hacker to bring the hidden notification popups to the front. Could you please elaborate on this, ie. give more details about how you are able to force the hidden firewall notification popups to appear? This could be valuable input not only for me, but eventually for ESET too.

(If interested you could try out my (upcoming) (shorter) description of how to force ESS V7 into the hiding firewall notification popups bug in no time, see here, https://forum.eset.com/topic/2124-firewall-interactive-mode-not-working-properly/. This involves no launchers at all: one browser, one URL, one DENY - and you're "in the bug".)

Thanks

Edited by mma64

Yes, that Process Hacker.

It's under View->Windows. Look for the ESET ALERT one. Just right click, check visible/bring to front/enabled/always on top until it shows up. I'd take a screenshot but I have the Firewall disabled now and I'm just sick of fiddling with it due to this. Once I did this there were dozens hidden and showing up.

Edited by Nizrax000

• Administrators

It appears turning off checking for changes in approved programs worked. I just don't know why I had to do that.

Please refer to my previous post:

The current version of ESS has a bug which causes that no prompt window pops up if a network-aware application with communication previously allowed is modified (e.g. updated).

Instead of turning off that feature, it should be enough to add network-aware applications that update on a regular bases to the exclusion list.

It appears turning off checking for changes in approved programs worked. I just don't know why I had to do that.

Please refer to my previous post:

The current version of ESS has a bug which causes that no prompt window pops up if a network-aware application with communication previously allowed is modified (e.g. updated).

Instead of turning off that feature, it should be enough to add network-aware applications that update on a regular bases to the exclusion list.

Ahh, I didn't see that setting. Thanks.

I've experienced a somewhat related bug in Interactive mode. It tends to get processes (Everything from game launchers, DRM solutions to browsers) "stuck" in limbo for a random amount of time. It only occurs if it blocks the network activity of the first execution of the process, I can reproduce it reliably and prevent it from happening, but it's very tiresome.

I.e Install a game, or web browser that uses a launcher or similar.

The first network activity request is apparently hosed until relaunch no matter what, which wouldn't be a huge deal but I can't even kill the zombie with ProcessHacker, and some games for example will detect themselves running. (For example, Steam based) and prevent another from being launched while that one is in memory.

I use interactive mode as I don't want it to blindly allow everything I run.

Edit: Related to the hidden/missing/overlapping prompts? ESET locks the "Zombie" until the prompt is answered again? Speed at which network requests are sent out by the unknown/undefined application leading to it? First Execution->Prompt->Application sends more network requests, ESET more prompts while first prompt is being answered->Extra prompts "missing" (Due to first prompt being interacted with?) prompts go unanswered so application just drools in the background?

Also experiencing this bug, and it has been driving me crazy all day long. Glad to see that it's ESET and not something that's wrong with my PC (applications unable to connect, random process hangs, etc.)

• 1 month later...

Any idea when this bug will be fixed? It's been there for months....

Edited by bartgrefte

• Administrators

Any idea when this bug will be fixed? It's been there for months....

Fixed in 7.0.317 released yesterday.

• Administrators

Hmm, talk about timing :P  Now waiting for the build-in updater to offer it.

You will have to download it and install manually.

Hi,

How do I manually update the program? Can I download a patch or do I have to download the latest live installer? Also can I install over it or do I need to remove the version I have first?

Thanks,

Edited by joelore

Hi,

How do I manually update the program? Can I download a patch or do I have to download the latest live installer? Also can I install over it or do I need to remove the version I have first?

Thanks,

Use the live version posted in the announcement thread.

You can run it over the top of your existing.

I used the offline installer and had it install the new version over the previous one (that I did not delete first), now it's nagging about a reboot....

Well, ESET seems to be working, so I'm gonna wait with rebooting, have to install a bunch of Windows+software updates anyway. I don't want to reboot every time a program gets an update....

Edited by bartgrefte

• Administrators

We strongly recommend restarting the computer after an upgrade as soon as possible. Without a restart, old drivers will be loaded in memory which might theoretically cause certain problems with newer program binaries.

I did that this morning, but not before also installing updates for Windows, Office, VMWare Workstation, Adobe Reader and Multisim. Unfortunately things didn't go as I expected.

Before the reboot, the new version of ESS was working. After the reboot: Error communicating with kernel.

I used the uninstaller in the startmenu hoping to do a clean install, but it couldn't delete everything due to some "insufficient privileges". After a reboot, ESS was no longer in the startmenu and also no longer in the list of installed programs/updates, but it was visible in the systray and listed in the services-list. Then I tried to install the new version again, the installer gave a couple of "insufficient privileges" errors when overwriting files and it was not able to stop the ESS service. I stopped the installer, got the ESET removal tool which I used in safe mode. After yet another reboot, ESS was no longer running (as expected), but when I started the installer again, it said there was already another installer running. Not long after that the new version of ESS suddenly started and requested a reboot.

After yet another reboot, things seem to run as it should. Now I'm hoping it stays that way.

Edited by bartgrefte

• Administrators

If there's a problem uninstalling ESET by standard means for whatever reason (except file or registry permission issues), using the Uninstall tool in safe mode should do the trick.

Applying all those updates listed, along with the ESS updates, and you probably caused your own problems.

Next time, apply your security program updates, reboot, then run your windows updates and reboot, followed by your office, vmware, adobe, etc.