False Update Notification from ESET Internet Security

Currently I'm on Windows 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.693 and using ESET Internet Security v13.0.24.0

Recently I'm getting these false update notifications about Windows updates. This is always showing up at the start or at any random interval. Attaching Images for further clarification.  I don't even know how to properly describe the issue. Never happened with me before. Using ESET from past 4 years on various of my devices. 

updates.png

eset.png

Update log.png

• ESET Insiders

hi

Your Windows update show (+24h)  check yesterday and not today and it is optional update, check setting windows update.

Sorry for bad english

Edited by aranud87

6 minutes ago, aranud87 said:

hi

Your Windows update show (+24h)  check yesterday and not today and it is optional update, check setting windows update.

Sorry for bad english

Hello There

As you can see from Pictures above, I have received both the 2020-01 and the 2020-02 update. This notification is pointless then

Check your Win Update history again and verify that KB4497165 was installed. Your posted screen shot does not show that it has been installed. This is the update Eset is informing you was not installed.

How the Win Update notification feature works in Eset is it checks the Microsoft Update Catalog web site for all updates available for your installed OS version. It then compares that to updates actually installed on your device.

What also might be going on here is Microsoft on occasion will pull an update from its update servers after it was released . However, they will forget to pull it from the Microsoft Update Catalog web site. I suspect this is what is occurring in your case.

-EDIT- I am sure the above applies here. KB4497165 is a Intel microcode update that Microsoft initially pushed to all users regardless of it applying to their specific hardware: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4497165/kb4497165-intel-microcode-updates . I received it and my processor is AMD based.

Far worse is this update only applies to certain Intel processors.

Finally for applicable Intel processors, this update is a revised one meaning it is a replacement to the original update pushed.:

Revised January 30, 2020 and February 25, 2020

Also further confirmed here that this update is only available from the Microsoft Update Catalog web site:

What’s important to know, however, is that these updates are only available from the Microsoft Update Catalog, so they aren’t offered to Windows 10 devices through Windows Update. You can find the download links in the box at the end of the article.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/new-intel-microcode-updates-available-for-all-windows-10-versions-529050.shtml

Since this is an optional update, the only way to prevent the Eset notification about it is to set Eset Windows Update notification setting to Important or Critical per the below screen shot or, apply the microcode update by downloading it from the Microsoft Update Catalog and applying it manually if it is applicable to your installed Intel processor:

Eset_Win_Update.thumb.png.468620541f1d54c00a953b3d2a2837d4.png

Edited by itman