ESMC 7.1 - offline - activated client licenses aren't counted in ESMC

Hello,

I'm planning upgrade (finally) from ERA5 to ESMC in offline network (without Internet access). To practice,  I've setup little lab environment. Everything seems to be working fine, my test clients had activated and are updating, but in ESMC License Manager I can't see that my licenses number is reduced. (see the attached screenshot for details).

eset.thumb.jpg.355d50ac5f552f99f7dcfdfe4660dc8f.jpg

Here is what I did:

I've configured ESMC in offline network (with mirror repository and detection engine updates). Then, in ELA, I've exported licenses for client products using token generated by ESMC, and then I've imported them into offline ESMC. Using ESMC I've created all-in-one installer, including license and pushed them to test clients (one server, one workstation for this scenario). Everything went fine and smooth, both clients had activated and connected to ESMC. They seem to be working fine, they download updates and report properly to server, but in the ESMC I can't see any change in License Manager.

Is it normal behavior? Or maybe I've misconfigured something? As far as I can tell, the clients are working properly and for this (lab) scenario it is not an issue, however, in my production environment I've got many desktops and servers, and tracking utilized licenses number is one of my duties. Of course, I can always check the number of connected clients to ESMC, but I'd prefer to see it in License Manager, as it is in my other network with online Internet connection. 

I look forward to some information,

Best regardss,

Peter

Edited by Piter

• ESET Staff

Unfortunately license usage data as seen in License management screen won't be usable in such environment. It actually relies on live data as reported by licensing servers, so it would require online environment, where not only ESMC but also clients are able to communicate with licensing servers.

I can see theoretically two possibilities how to monitor license usage:

• Use ESET Business Account portal, but in case of offline licenses usage, it won't be very helpfull
  • Create reports of license usage as reported by client connecting to ESMC. I am currently not able to verify, but each activated client should report basic license details back to ESMC (also visible in client detail's view) and if so, custom reports can be created. For example report with following data definition will report each license reported from clients:image.png

Thank you Martin for your answer. According to your words, it seems that I have made everything right and this is normal behavior in offline environment. Good to know :)

I only hope, that when I'll renew license next year, I'll be able to activate my clients with new license from offline ESMC. I think yes, since I've made a test by creating activation task on offline ESMC and pointing to clients and they have reported successful activation in logs. 

Best, 

Peter

• ESET Staff

Hello @Piter - yes, when you renew your license, you will just have to generate a new offline file with the ESMC token, and then create a product activation task, that will deploy the license to your clients. It should work without any issues, if the license is generate for the correct application (offline files are application specific, so if you use EEA, you need file for EEA, etc.).