How is the Virtual Appliance compared to Windows Server?

• ESET Staff

You can find the details here: https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/71/en-US/installation_deployment_scenarios.html 

In general, appliance is not recommended for bigger environments over 5000 seats, due to the included configuration of all of the components. Below this threshold, it should follow recommendations for the ESMC hardware (VM should be given similar parameters, as if installed on a physical HW). 

Details for that are available here: https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/71/en-US/installation_deployment_scenarios.html?infrastructure_sizing.html 

"due to the included configuration of all of the components", what do you mean with that?
don't you have to configure it anyway?

And in my case it's below 5000, and i found the web console thing to be kinda slow, not to any extremes though, but a bit too slow for my taste if you will.
So if the virtual appliance is more lightweight or better optimized for a virtual environment i might give it a try to compare.
I am a fan of having servers being, well servers rather than having a windows server with a gui and all just running a server application, quite some resources going to waste (even if we got at least RAM to spare);P

• ESET Staff
38 minutes ago, zerowalker said:

"due to the included configuration of all of the components", what do you mean with that?
don't you have to configure it anyway?

And in my case it's below 5000, and i found the web console thing to be kinda slow, not to any extremes though, but a bit too slow for my taste if you will.
So if the virtual appliance is more lightweight or better optimized for a virtual environment i might give it a try to compare.
I am a fan of having servers being, well servers rather than having a windows server with a gui and all just running a server application, quite some resources going to waste (even if we got at least RAM to spare);P

Biggest limitation of appliance is MySQL database and also configuration of whole system targeting low memory requirements. This means that in environment with higher number of devices or higher data volumes, it might be tight and changes might be required, including:

• increasing overall RAM/CPU available for virtual machine
  • enlarging available disk (it might be also limiting in case of larger environments)
  • increasing RAM available to apache tomcat, which might help also in smaller environments where larger datasets are generated in console or console is used by multiple users in parallel. Tomcat is pre-configured to use only 256MB RAM.
  • MySQL database might require some memory optimizations as default configuration is used in appliance.