Warning: Key expired - error code 20086

DAP

Hi there,

Our ESET remote administrator server's license is expiring in one week and we have paid for and received our new license. However when I try to import the .lic file into the license manager I get the following error:

Warning: Key expired!

Error code: 20086, 0

If the error repeats, you can check the server logs for more information or contact ESET support.

Please advise?

• Administrators

The lic file is intended for legacy products, such as ERA v5 or ESET Mail/File Security v4 or to activate the mirror feature in legacy ESET security products for Windows (v4/v5). You don't need to do anything at all; your license is valid till 2022. Since the activation key Axxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxD  has not changed, the renewal is seamless, products activated with this license will continue to work and the expiration date in gui should be updated automatically as well.

• ESET Staff

@DAP Please, which version of ESET Remote Administrator are you using? If V5, you need to import a new license file (not key). File should be included in the activation e-mail, or you can get it from ESET License Administrator / ESET Business Account. 

Please note, that ESET Remote Administrator V5 (as well as Endpoint V5) will reach end of life by December 2020, and as they are approx 8 years old, they should not be used. Newer products provide much better management (even from Cloud), and much better level of protection, given the many changes. Within your license you are eligible to use always the newest product from ESET, so I would encourage that you upgrade at earliest convenience. 

Edited by MichalJ

I raised a support ticket and received a new .lic file from support staff which worked seamlessly. I have no idea what the difference is between the original .lic file that I received that didn't work and the new one that did work.

I am using ERA v5.

I tried ESET v6 a few years ago but that was a disaster so I stayed with the same one. I see there is a v7 now. Might try and roll out to that but it is a massive task to roll updates out to 150 pcs.

• Administrators

Upgrading Endpoint to the latest version is not that difficult once the ESMC agent has been already deployed. ESMC enables you to manage also legacy ESET v5 security products so you can start with the ESMC server, deploy agent on a couple of machines with Endpoint v5 and they will start reporting to ESMC.

When you decide to upgrade Endpoint v5, it will have to be uninstalled first and the system rebooted to prevent new ekrn running with old legacy drivers (this process can be automated using dynamic groups and tasks assigned to them). Upgrading Endpoint 7.2 to newer future versions will be seamless and can be fully automatic thanks to so-called micro PCU updates.

Should you have any questions regarding upgrade or whatever and you are unable to find an answer in the documentation or KB, feel free to ask.

• ESET Staff

@DAP Also one suggestion. As you have explicitly stated that you have 150 PCS, what I would recommend is to evaluate "ESET Cloud Administrator". This is cloud based service, hosted and maintained by ESET. With recently planned updates, the ecosystem should "auto update" to the latest version, meaning you will seamlessly transition as the time goes, and ESET releases new version.

I do understand your reasoning, but a lots of time has passed since we have released the first version of the V6, so I can easily say it´s a different product now. 

Please note, that the V5 will most probably reach EOL in December 2020, so its recommended to commence preparations. As Marcos suggested, you can deploy just the ESMC agent, this does not require the restart. Then you can use the agent to uninstall the legacy V5 product, and install the new V7 endpoint. 

Regards,

Michal 

Thank you Michal and Marcos for your suggestions. The ESET cloud administrator definitely sounds like a good option. I'll put it on the list of things to evaluate. Thank you for your responses.