Whats with the WIN7 o/s out of support nag

• Most Valued Members
2 hours ago, BeanSlappers said:

That is going to suck if they did that for reals because I only use local accounts so dose my sister and a lot of my friends too.

Ubuntu is good for starting and also for advanced , but for GUIs take a look at :

Ubuntu KDE
Ubuntu MATE

Ubuntu GNOME

LinuxMINT Cinammon looks a bit like W7 if you are interested

For me I use MATE , It's great.

You can also download the LTS edition , which will make your upgrades every few years(major operating system upgrade) , and also LTS is considered to be more stable , but the newer versions have newer features but I would go with LTS for sure

LTS is an abbreviation for “Long Term Support”. We produce a new Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server release every six months. ... A new LTS version is released every two years. In previous releases, a Long Term Support (LTS) version had three years support on Ubuntu (Desktop) and five years on Ubuntu Server.

Put it on a USB and run it as a live image , and test the linux as much as you want , when you will restart you will go back to your Windows normally , so that way you can give Linux a try , or fire it up in a virtual machine

Edited by Nightowl

I have a local account. I do not use online anytihng for this win10 debacle.  I have SHUTUP switch off almost everything. I have no one drive, I have no microsoft accounts.

microspasm have, over the years, clearly demonstrated their mistrust, disgust and lack of customer service for the very people who made them the global garbage patch they now are.

As for a Linux recommendation, clearly, the front runner for new folk is Ubuntu.  The GUI has evolved vastly over the years, it is stable, useful and easy to get to grips with.  The standard desktop version contains all the workable software you would likely need. Installing more software is a doddle and there is a world of passionate, dedicated expert-like folk who will gladly offer any free assistance.

There is NO activating online. There is (almost) no snooping - firefox, etc will have crash report info sent off but these things can easily be disabled. Almost everything you could want will be available as Open Source or GPL, etc so no worries about purchasing things.

Virtualisation runs far better on the Linux platform than windows via KVM/QEMU. The only caveat that I have encountered is that cut/paste between host/guest and shared folders are a bit trickier to set up than would be the case with a windows setup. However, if you don't want a more hardware-centric virtualisation then you can still employ virtualbox which operates as well as virtualbox does anywhere.

Software development tools do NOT require 10Gb or more of install as one gets with visual studio. By the same token, no registration is required such as microspasm force one into so they can spy on more of your activities.

If one is a non-gaming user, Linux is ideal. If one is a business user, it could also be ideal but for the fact that the bulk of businesses use BackOffice tools - especially exchange/outlook; the latter of which has been altered so it is not so user-friendly any longer.

I was weaned on UNIX (SYSV) and have been a ms/windows tech-type since MSDOS 3.x and windows 3. With every subsequent release, I have disliked windows less and UNIX-like more.

The day windows is history will be a glorious day for the whole world!

P.S. Once you feel confident enough you can even recompile your Linux kernel to streamline it to your tastes and speed-up your boot times.  Personally, I have not recompiled a kernel since using Slakware but it is fun to try and would take far less time today than the 4-7 hours it used to take using pre-pentium intel chips back in 1993.

Edited by Hpoonis

• Most Valued Members
21 minutes ago, BeanSlappers said:

Linux is better for gaming now?

Day by day , Developers are giving more priority to Linux , same as STEAM.

Steam works fine in Linux and also most of the games (it matters if the game was ported or natively built for Linux , and if it was a good port or bad port..) some games even get more FPS in Linux than in Windows.

Specs: (sadly) win10, Ryzen7 3700, 32Gb DDR4, RX3700 (8GB), 1 x 512Gb PCIe4 SSD, 1 x 1TB PCIe4 SSD, 2 x 480GB SSD, 2 x 8TB HDD, 850W PSU, 32" 4K monitor...

OS-less, I7 4700K, 16GB DDR3, 240GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 4 x 3TB HDD, R9 370...

Sorry, were we comparing genitalia?

• Most Valued Members
22 minutes ago, Hpoonis said:

Specs: (sadly) win10, Ryzen7 3700, 32Gb DDR4, RX3700 (8GB), 1 x 512Gb PCIe4 SSD, 1 x 1TB PCIe4 SSD, 2 x 480GB SSD, 2 x 8TB HDD, 850W PSU, 32" 4K monitor...

OS-less, I7 4700K, 16GB DDR3, 240GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 4 x 3TB HDD, R9 370...

Sorry, were we comparing genitalia?

lol :D

I7 4700K, 16GB DDR3, 240GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 4 x 3TB HDD, R9 370.. - This would go fine I believe with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

I have a desktop with Ryzen and Ubuntu it runs like a beast for virtualizations

I also have another laptop with Intel and also runs like a beast. but both of them for non gaming

• Most Valued Members
11 minutes ago, BeanSlappers said:

I have been hearing that microsoft is trying to force people to move to windows 10 since this end of life for windows 7.  I don't think that Eset will nag about this.  Infact I have been using Eset for a while and its never nagged at me for anything, and I have recommended eset personally to windows 7 users and they have said the same thing to me that they dont have this problem either.

Maybe it is malware on your PC or Microsoft up to their antics again.

no it was apparently a bug that was causing the nag

• Most Valued Members
3 minutes ago, BeanSlappers said:

Wow, that is strange lol.  Bugs seems to popping up more these last few months.

From what I gather it should popup for people using windows 7 because it is no longer supported by Microsoft - while eset can still protect windows 7 any security program becomes limited when an OS stops receiving patches. However there was a bug that meant if people had upgraded from windows 7 to 10, eset didn't realise and so alerted the user as it still thought they were using 7.

On 2/27/2020 at 6:25 AM, BeanSlappers said:

That is going to suck if they did that for reals because I only use local accounts so dose my sister and a lot of my friends too.

According to the  article they have implemented it, but to get around it make sure the PC is not connected to the net when you install win10, and follow the offline prompts  and it will give you the option to create a local account, if you already have a local account this won't change ,

• Most Valued Members
On 2/27/2020 at 10:35 PM, BeanSlappers said:

Can Kali be gamed on?

Kali is used for Penetration Testing and that stuff and it's not good to use it for everyday use because most of the times you are running as ROOT which is not a good thing , Start off with Ubuntu or Linux Mint , both are good.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 8:24 AM, TRex said:

No, I don’t think he’s trying to figure out whether or not Windows 7 is in support.

There’s an actual message that comes up and it happens on our windows 10 machines. There’s a problem in Eset where the reporting of the operating system confuses the modules. There’s no reason there should be a warning about Windows 7 on a Windows 10 machine.

This just happened yesterday for us. 941E484A-B2BE-41B3-95ED-45B4712B1688.jpe

I just got this alert today.  The "unsubscribe from messages like this" quickly disappeared before I could "click here".  So then I clicked the postpone button.  But I don't want it coming back.

How do I turn these alerts off?

This rest of this thread is talking about other things besides this

• Administrators

You can try disabling IPM messages in the advanced setup. However, the question is if your local ESET distributor marked the message as a marketing message or not. These messages are controlled by local ESET distributors in particular countries.

9 hours ago, Marcos said:

You can try disabling IPM messages in the advanced setup. However, the question is if your local ESET distributor marked the message as a marketing message or not. These messages are controlled by local ESET distributors in particular countries.

I bought this off their website here in the US so I'm not sure what you mean?

Also in-product messaging is already turned off in advanced settings

Edited by mondo_cane
further details

13 hours ago, mondo_cane said:

I bought this off their website here in the US so I'm not sure what you mean?

@Aryeh Goretsky can you check this out and verify the origin of this Win 7 upgrade alert.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, itman said:

@Aryeh Goretsky can you check this out and verify the origin of this Win 7 upgrade alert.

As of 13.1, it shouldn't appear on Win10 systems, only on Windows 7. Users can close the notification and won't receive the same one again.

11 hours ago, Marcos said:

As of 13.1, it shouldn't appear on Win10 systems, only on Windows 7. Users can close the notification and won't receive the same one again.

I appreciate any help you give me.

I'm still using Windows 7.  So I close the notification and it won't nag me again?