Whats with the WIN7 o/s out of support nag

• Administrators

What do you mean by "ESET nagging you about using Windows 7"? Where do you see the nag? Could you please post a screen shot?

Regardless of this, Windows 10 provides better protection compared to Windows 7 and is fully supported, ie. vulnerabilities found in Windows 7 after it reached EOL may not be fixed which will increase possible attack surface for malware and attackers.

It was a pop up type notification but a bit bigger , that had 2 options  stay protected, or Postpone, it confused me to, i 1st thought is was a eset  product upgrade nag, but it wasn't because it said WIN 7 o/s was no longer supported by Microsoft then below it had to boxes the left-hand side was blue (stay protected) and the Right-hand side was white and said postpone i used the close x in the top right corner and it disappeared , I just wondered why eset would be trying to push people into upgrading to WIN 10, what would the stay protected option do, link to the MS Win10 page or the win10 upgrade site? If i ever was going to upgrade the o/s on any pc i wouldn't be doing an in o/s upgrade clean install every time

Win7 is as safe as win10 it's down to how it is used , but until M/S stops issuing patches that break more than they fix, and changes their update choices  so the END user has control over what gets installled on THEIR machine i won't be going to win 10,

Edited by tommy456

No, I don’t think he’s trying to figure out whether or not Windows 7 is in support.

There’s an actual message that comes up and it happens on our windows 10 machines. There’s a problem in Eset where the reporting of the operating system confuses the modules. There’s no reason there should be a warning about Windows 7 on a Windows 10 machine.

This just happened yesterday for us. 941E484A-B2BE-41B3-95ED-45B4712B1688.jpe

It’s super important to ask for details in a template format meaningful to support instead of support answering what they thunk may be the question in any technical evaluation. 
Personally, we have experienced this for the first time recently and I have eset installed at close to 75 locations. 
the developers had something in mind when they created this message and they will know exactly what the mistake THEY made is, if they see the error and know this is on Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, 1909

thanks!!

• Administrators

It shouldn't pop up on Windows 10 systems. Please provide logs collected with ESET Log Collector from such machine or at least the seat ID. The pop up can be closed by clicking X in the upper right corner of the window.

I suspect this popup is not originating from Eset. Clicking on "Stay Protected" might result in a very nasty system surprise courtesy of malware.

Again, anyone seeing this needs to provide the logs @Marcos requested ASAP.

• Administrators

It was actually originating from ESET. We have figured out that the problem was that the current version of the product didn't keep information about the OS so after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. So the program didn't know about the change and the notification was displayed also on Windows 10 where it didn't make sense. The bug will be fixed in v13.1 which is planned to be released next month.

But why Are ESET nagging us  about it, we who still use win7 know it's out of support unless we  are paying for extended support  and some companies are BTW , what happens if the user clicks on the stay protected box? does it link to MS upgrade to win 10 web page or does it try to initiate assimilation to the unwanted o/s , was my concern  in my initial what is this about ,which still hasn't been answered, or confirmed what clicking on the stay protected box does, what is it's purpose ?

• Administrators

It's a notification for a big portion of users who are not aware of it. Those who are aware can click X to close the notification and that's it. Antivirus software can provide maximum protection only on fully supported operating systems, hence it's important that all users are informed.

25 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It's a notification for a big portion of users who are not aware of it. Those who are aware can click X to close the notification and that's it. Antivirus software can provide maximum protection only on fully supported operating systems, hence it's important that all users are informed.

The options could have been more wisely worded. If its only purpose is increasing awareness, that should have been made more clear. "Stay Protected" implies something more significant than just more information will occur should you select it. I assume "Postpone" means the pop-up will reappear at some point?

This was what i thought it meant and after how sneaky MS was at 1st trying to force win10 on win7 machines without the users consent, trust in MS is at a low

Seems like the top people in this forum are trying to push Win 10, not just MS.

I respected these members until they became sales people for win10.  Using win7 they say; it's time to upgrade, over and over. I haven't updated win7 in years never been hit by any malware.

Please, win 7 will be around along time, way after Eset stop's the support.

I like 7, it's fast, not a hundreds out-bound connections like 10, trying to gather your data.

Some people just don't care about privacy, so now there is 10.

Yes win 10 might be more secure for the average person that might visit bad sites, and open attachments, download any file. But if your somewhat smart about what not to do, you will most likely be safe. Without being looked after by big brother (MS).

Edited by SRT

Windows 8 then windows 10 is Microsoft monetizing their virtual monopoly.

Windows 8 to buy into the tablet market

Windows 10 to buy into the ad revenue / sale of personal data market, a margin on other companies software, and exclude competition. The program code is probably a step forward but the legal term and conditions are a massive and progressive step backwards.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:49 AM, SRT said:

I respected these members until they became sales people for win10.  Using win7 they say; it's time to upgrade, over and over. I haven't updated win7 in years never been hit by any malware.

I like 7, it's fast, not a hundreds out-bound connections like 10, trying to gather your data.

Yes win 10 might be more secure for the average person that might visit bad sites, and open attachments, download any file. But if your somewhat smart about what not to do, you will most likely be safe. Without being looked after by big brother (MS).

Much like myself i have also avoided all ms telemetry patches and the useless MRT that likes to phone home too, MS have lost the plot IMO they no longer have any respect for what personal computer means, it means i have full control of what updates i want to install  and when they are installed not some o/s interrupting me, also ms no longer is selling you an O/S it's selling you a service in win 10, at the moment for those who upgraded  it's free , but they could at some points move to a subscription model

• Most Valued Members
On 2/22/2020 at 12:49 AM, SRT said:

I myself only upgraded to windows 7 when I lost my XP serial but ever since I've always upgraded to the new version - windows 8 had a really good cheap deal when it first came out and obviously windows 10 was free. I do feel old unsupported OS's are a bit of a risk but while I like windows 10 the privacy issues do also worry me.

I did mention in a post a while ago if it was ever something eset would do in the future - privacy controls, but the issue is their could be legal issues. I mentioned it because the people behind Spybot Search and Destroy have a program called Spybot Anti-Beacon. From what I've read the free version blocks windows telemetry but the pro version can also block telemetry for other programs to. Unsure how this works legal wise. There is also the issue that you could block too many stuff and prevent issues, e.g. issues with functionality 

On 2/23/2020 at 5:39 PM, tommy456 said:

Much like myself i have also avoided all ms telemetry patches and the useless MRT that likes to phone home too, MS have lost the plot IMO they no longer have any respect for what personal computer means, it means i have full control of what updates i want to install  and when they are installed not some o/s interrupting me, also ms no longer is selling you an O/S it's selling you a service in win 10, at the moment for those who upgraded  it's free , but they could at some points move to a subscription model

I think what Microsoft will do is keep windows 10 free, at least the base OS and then offer subscriptions around it. I suppose they are kind of doing it now with the likes of Office 360. Basically I see in the future MS offering office, music and TV streaming, maybe other software services - the idea being instead of paying different companies e.g. netflix, spotify etc. you could get it all through Windows

Microsoft are intent on relegating the desktop PC into a -poor child of their crappy surface tablet.  There is little or no point in promoting all this geoloating twaddle on a PC which is, for the most part, quite static in its movements.  Laptops are not that mobile really,  except for business types.

Windows 10 is dire, intrusive, bland.  If Linux could offer me better gaming options I'd blow windows out the door and not waste a minute more on it.

Edited by Hpoonis

23 hours ago, peteyt said:

privacy controls, but the issue is their could be legal issues

There is

Microsoft's Legal terms and conditions for using Windows 10, prohibit blocking their spying and central control of code updates. It is clearly very important to their financial plans

As I said, the code is fine, their legal T&C suck

Edited by Patch

• Most Valued Members
10 hours ago, Patch said:

There is

Microsoft's Legal terms and conditions for using Windows 10, prohibit blocking their spying and central control of code updates. It is clearly very important to their financial plans

As I said, the code is fine, their legal T&C suck

I wonder how spybot gets around this?

• Most Valued Members

There is also this https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 , but I bet someday it will break your system because of updates from Microsoft , but if you are not into gaming , switch to Linux , you will feel better

• Most Valued Members
Just now, Nightowl said:

There is also this https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 , but I bet someday it will break your system because of updates from Microsoft , but if you are not into gaming , switch to Linux , you will feel better

Yeah each time Microsoft releases a new version it seems to cause issues for programs like these.

I do need to try Linux. I'm sure I have it on a USB but I've always been put off mainly because I've heard you need to often use the command prompt.

Even people who have told me you can get ones with a good GUI have told me sometimes you might need to use the command prompt

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, peteyt said:

Yeah each time Microsoft releases a new version it seems to cause issues for programs like these.

I do need to try Linux. I'm sure I have it on a USB but I've always been put off mainly because I've heard you need to often use the command prompt.

Even people who have told me you can get ones with a good GUI have told me sometimes you might need to use the command prompt

Terminal can help you do more advanced things and more normal things that the GUI doesn't give you options to

But for a normal user that doesn't want to go advanced terminal mode in his brain , you can find everything you need and more than you find in Windows , in the GUI you will use for Linux

There are different GUIs for Linux like

Cinnamon

MATE

GNOME

XFCE

KDE

And still more.

Therein lies the strength of UNIX-like.  If a thing is harder to get working, when it craps itself you know where to look and, more often, how to fix it. With microspasm, all you do is click click click and when it goes tits-up there is little or no way for end-users to fix it.

There is a world of difference between treating the end-user like a responsible adult and treating the end-user like moronic cash-cow.

• Most Valued Members
5 minutes ago, Hpoonis said:

Therein lies the strength of UNIX-like.  If a thing is harder to get working, when it craps itself you know where to look and, more often, how to fix it. With microspasm, all you do is click click click and when it goes tits-up there is little or no way for end-users to fix it.

There is a world of difference between treating the end-user like a responsible adult and treating the end-user like moronic cash-cow.

This explains a little bit more about Microsoft way of Windows : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-wants-to-do-away-with-windows-10-local-accounts/

And about Linux , if you are new user , the GUI will be enough for most uses and most likely it will be stable on your system (sometimes it could go crazy) , but for sure it's more stable and faster than Windows , and runs better on old PCs

It will take time to get used as for anything else in life , but once you get used for it , you will feel the difference

Atleast you won't get the Please Wait , Don't turn off your PC nightmare while having HDD not SSD

• Most Valued Members
7 hours ago, Nightowl said:

This explains a little bit more about Microsoft way of Windows : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-wants-to-do-away-with-windows-10-local-accounts/

And about Linux , if you are new user , the GUI will be enough for most uses and most likely it will be stable on your system (sometimes it could go crazy) , but for sure it's more stable and faster than Windows , and runs better on old PCs

It will take time to get used as for anything else in life , but once you get used for it , you will feel the difference

Atleast you won't get the Please Wait , Don't turn off your PC nightmare while having HDD not SSD

I mean what is the best distro for new users - one that uses a decent UI