Select camera for anti-theft

I'm running ESET Smart Security on my MS Surface Pro tablet. After running a test of ESET's anti-theft feature I see that it took a picture using the back camera on the Surface Pro instead of the front camera which is likely less useful in theft circumstances.

Is there any way to change ESET to use the front camera?

Thanks.

I'm running ESET Smart Security on my MS Surface Pro tablet. After running a test of ESET's anti-theft feature I see that it took a picture using the back camera on the Surface Pro instead of the front camera which is likely less useful in theft circumstances.

Thanks.

Hello governor

Hahaha,I understand your situation. Do you think that switching only to the front camera will do the trick? Quote: To switch between the front and rear-facing cameras, open the Camera app, and then tap or click the Change camera button at the bottom right of the screen. Link: Surface cameras FAQ. Sorry but this is the only idea I have.

Regards, Janus

Thanks.

Hello governor

Hahaha,I understand your situation. Do you think that switching only to the front camera will do the trick? Quote: To switch between the front and rear-facing cameras, open the Camera app, and then tap or click the Change camera button at the bottom right of the screen. Link: Surface cameras FAQ. Sorry but this is the only idea I have.

Regards, Janus

The camera app already is set to the front camera. I need to change the camera that ESET uses when it takes it's anti-theft snapshot.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have MS Surface Pro 1 too. And the I can see only a totally black picture in the test report.

When I am using the camera app, the app needs 2-3 seconds to show a picture, during this time I think it sets the brightness/exposure. Maybe the Eset engineers will need to find a way to control the exposure on the cameras. It would be useful also useful to make a picture with all available cameras...

Best regards,

Jan 

Wouldn't it be most useful if the Anti-theft feature of ESS would took photos of both cameras: the front and the back camera?

• ESET Staff

Hi there,

as far I know, ESS makes shots from all cameras that can be detected...

regards

peter

EDIT: sorry, i thought its EMS :) will look for some solution :)

Edited by metaller

Okay and what do you think about changing this in future version of ESS, so that the Anti-theft feature will capture pictures from all cameras which are available?

Edited by rugk

• ESET Staff

As Aryeh wrote,

need to contact developers, doesn't depend on me ;) I think it's because it counts with regular NTB, with standart 1 camera built in...

regards,

peter

There could be a lot of coding involved because of ensuring all scenarios that could yield in errors. User doesnt have driver for cam installed etc.

Or the instance where a usb cam is being used verses a bluetooth camera or wireless, etc etc.

What a struggle to hard code in if this then that type strings.

With android its linux, no issue, or iOs, unix based, both having java involved.

However Windows..... thats a dif ballgame heh.

• 5 months later...

Any news on this? I have the Surface Pro 3 and tried changing to the front camera in the camera app, but this made no difference to the ESET anti-theft. It keeps using the back camera. If someone has an answer that would be awesome!

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my Surface Pro 3. Anti-theft takes a picture using the back-facing camera (not both cameras, as suggested by some staff here).

So, wow, since this thread was started (May 25, 2013-just about 3 years and 6 months ago) eset has not been able to provide an answer?? Or, am I looking for answers in the wrong place?

Makes me thinking I should probably not renew...

On 5/28/2013 at 8:16 PM, Aryeh Goretsky said:

Hello,

I have contacted ESET's engineers about the issue.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Any news from the engineers since 2013?