Using eset authentication server (with eset firewall as default)

Instead of windows defender. I have wd firewall deactivated, I have managed to activate the server (I have generated the keys and now just need to press 'ok'). However I am a little uncertain of how to make the necessary firewall exceptions to ensure I've made the necessary substitutions.

Is there a guid or something that can take step by step through the using eset access server with it's own brand of firewall (smart security premium user).

Edited by Agathon

• Administrators

Please elaborate more on what you mean by ESET authentication server. In automatic mode, all non-initiated incoming communication is blocked and all outgoing communication allowed. That said, basically only if computers from outside the trusted zone connect to a machine a rule must be created.

Hi,

I am talking about this:

---

The ESET Authentication server provides your network with an additional layer of protection by requiring remote users to authenticate through a server you configure before accessing the network. Follow the step-by-step instructions in this article to download, install and configure the ESET Authentication Server...

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2501-what-is-the-eset-authentication-server-and-how-do-i-install-and-configure-it

---

It says one here that once installed the application will automatically pre-configure windows defender firewall exceptions, which is disabled on my device.

I found this also:

---

Firewall exceptions

Windows Firewall exceptions essential for the proper function of ESET Secure Authentication will be added automatically as part of installation. If you use a different firewall, the following exceptions must be defined in that firewall manually:

Exception Name: ESET Secure Authentication Core Service

Scope: Any

Protocol: TCP

Local Port: 8000

Remote Ports: All

Exception Name: ESET Secure Authentication API

Protocol: TCP

Local Port: 8001

Exception Name: ESET Secure Authentication RADIUS Service

Protocol: UDP

Local Port: 1812

Exception Name: ESET Secure Authentication RADIUS Service (Alternative Port)

Protocol: UDP

Local Port: 1645

---

Problem is, I just don't know how to actually find a way implement this on the firewall. Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Edited by Agathon

• Administrators

You are mixing an additional tool ESET Authentication server and the product ESET Secure Authentication (2FA). Unfortunately it is not clear what you would like to achieve since both the above mentioned products / tools are for business use and you have ESET Smart Security Premium.

Oh I see 😔 So those are strictly for server side use?

I was just looking for away to protect my RDPs (try to prevent them from getting hacked) when connecting to a VPS and thought I would try it out locally first.

Edited by Agathon

• Administrators

Correct. ESET Secure Authentication is rather intended for business users. The price starts at $350 for 5 devices so most likely not something that you are after if you are a home user:

https://www.eset.com/us/business/endpoint-security/two-factor-authentication/

• Most Valued Members
14 hours ago, Agathon said:

Oh I see 😔 So those are strictly for server side use?

I was just looking for away to protect my RDPs (try to prevent them from getting hacked) when connecting to a VPS and thought I would try it out locally first.

Is your VPS a Windows Server or Windows 10?

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Agathon said:

It is windows 10

You can use your ESET firewall to firewall the RDP port only to specific IP Addresses and use it to protect your Windows 10 VPS so that will hide your RDP ports from the internet and keep it only to your IP Addresses.

ESET Smart Security or Internet Security will be enough to protect your VPS

Probably your provider provides also a Firewall through somekind of a panel , or you can run your own firewall by someway I am not sure , you can use OPNSENSE firewall , but you need to create a virtual machine only for that

Edited by Rami

Sounds like an ideal soultion!

I'm not a network/IT admin so i'm not thoroughly attuned to the subject. Not nearly. But my Admin guy is and he recommended eset through and through. I'm here to learn more of the subject, get advice and help (where I can). Many thanks for all the input here.

I shall begin reading through the knowledge base properly starting with smart security premium.

If there was something like an eset endorsed or official cybersecurity course, I would totally sit that

• Most Valued Members
10 hours ago, Agathon said:

Sounds like an ideal soultion!

I'm not a network/IT admin so i'm not thoroughly attuned to the subject. Not nearly. But my Admin guy is and he recommended eset through and through. I'm here to learn more of the subject, get advice and help (where I can). Many thanks for all the input here.

I shall begin reading through the knowledge base properly starting with smart security premium.

If there was something like an eset endorsed or official cybersecurity course, I would totally sit that

Unfortunately there is no courses for ESET as far as I know

But your ideal way for this is to install one of the either , ESS or EIS , you can firewall your RDP port which is TCP port 3389 to your IP Addresses so that will rest your mind that only yourself can connect

but probably your provider has some built in firewall in your c-panel which can help you protect your VS

If you can create Virtual Machines like in Google Cloud , it's fun to try OPNSENSE if you like to make some projects.