Fortinet DNS/Web Filter blocking ESET Forum

Nightowl

• Most Valued Members

This is still the same , and also got blocked for the same reason (it's not new now)

Reason : Newly Observed Domain and this is what gets blocked eset.invisionmanaged.net

All I can say is "strange things go on" in regards to the Eset forum. Edited re-posting time-outs, errors when logging out of the forum, you name it.

Bottom line - you will probably have to "relax" your Fortinet settings in regards to the forum.

I will also note that my Eset forum issues are more pronounced after switching to DoH in FireFox. So it appears that whatever you are experiencing is DNS related.

• Most Valued Members
14 hours ago, itman said:

All I can say is "strange things go on" in regards to the Eset forum. Edited re-posting time-outs, errors when logging out of the forum, you name it.

Bottom line - you will probably have to "relax" your Fortinet settings in regards to the forum.

I can allow it , I know , but it should be solved , it's not new now because since March last year the same type of detection , or maybe more new servers for the forum

Another interesting observation.

My boot drive crashed two weekends ago. My image backup restored OK but boot rec was corrupted and could not restore it using multiple attempts with various options. So I decided it was time to do a fresh Win 10 1909 install. BTW - glad I did; things work now that never did in my previous Win 7 upgraded installation.

Anyway, I installed FireFox fresh. Set up uBlock Origin immediately. Thereafter, I started getting strange occasional redirects that never happened with my old FireFox installation. Checking out FireFox settings, DoH was not enabled. Strange since I thought that was done now by default. Enabled DoH w/Cloudfare servers and haven't had one of those redirects since. I can only conclude that this activity had to be originating from my ISP DNS servers.

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, itman said:

Another interesting observation.

My boot drive crashed two weekends ago. My image backup restored OK but boot rec was corrupted and could not restore it using multiple attempts with various options. So I decided it was time to do a fresh Win 10 1909 install. BTW - glad I did; things work now that never did in my previous Win 7 upgraded installation.

Anyway, I installed FireFox fresh. Set up uBlock Origin immediately. Thereafter, I started getting strange occasional redirects that never happened with my old FireFox installation. Checking out FireFox settings, DoH was not enabled. Strange since I thought that was done now by default. Enabled DoH w/Cloudfare servers and haven't had one of those redirects since. I can only conclude that this activity had to be originating from my ISP DNS servers.

Yes it seems that you get redirected to another servers while surfing this forum , you get redirected to some other servers owned by Invision , which can be blocked for some reasons , Firefox sometimes block it with BAD SIGNATURE error , and also the Fortinet

14 hours ago, Rami said:

Yes it seems that you get redirected to another servers while surfing this forum , you get redirected to some other servers owned by Invision , which can be blocked for some reasons ,

Actually, my previous comments about Firefox had nothing to do with the Eset forum. Again, I was getting random ones infrequently until I enabled DoH.

Another behavior I have seen in regards to uBlock Origin and Firefox is how some search list connections are silently blocked, whereas others will show a block alert from  the applicable TPL. For example when using the Google displayed search results list, I can click on a URL and nothing happens. UBlock just silently blocks the connection attempt.  No failed connection display, etc..

-EDIT- Appears the above blocking is not being done by uBlock Origin after all. The blocking is being done by Eset PUA blacklist. But no alert is being displayed if its a Google search it URL:

Eset_Google_PUA.png.adefc690405187e9e3e81bd4f28de922.png

Whereas if I try to access hxxps://www.pcrisk.com via Firefox address bar, I will receive an Eset PUA alert. Looks like a bug. Will open a new thread for it.

Edited by itman

Below is an example of how DNS monitoring is always present by your ISP. Now it is possible that Firefox DoH - Cloudflare servers fell back to DoT:

Eset_DNS.thumb.png.8764fe35f1069297be4796062f4458b2.png