Startup scan is running ignoring my settings

The first thing I do when I install NOD32 is to go to the Task Scheduler and uncheck the run startup scan at user logon but I do keep the run startup scan after successful update.

after my laptop being on for 24 hours, I thought of giving it a reboot, as soon as the reboot happened, I noticed the NOD32 icon animation on, so I hoevered my mouse over and it said in the caption (startup scan)

what gives?

• Administrators

It's probably a sort of a backup scan which is always run at computer startup. Without this scan, you might have to wait several hours for the next update to take place in order to clean ransomware or other similar malware. I'll discuss with engineers if it would be possible to disable this scan if a user wants to take the risk.

It's probably a sort of a backup scan which is always run at computer startup. Without this scan, you might have to wait several hours for the next update to take place in order to clean ransomware or other similar malware. I'll discuss with engineers if it would be possible to disable this scan if a user wants to take the risk.

please do because I personally think it is useless.

Let's say you DID have a virus, with or without the scan, the moment that virus runs, NOD32 would still detect and neutralize it so.... running a startup scan will just slow down my startup

• Administrators

please do because I personally think it is useless.

Let's say you DID have a virus, with or without the scan, the moment that virus runs, NOD32 would still detect and neutralize it so.... running a startup scan will just slow down my startup

It's not useless, believe me. It's there on purpose; it was me who suggested this feature. For instance, if you infected with a new LockScreen trojan detected only in memory during a memory scan, without this initial startup scan you might need to wait several hours for an update to take place which would trigger a startup scan after update and clean the malware. Startup scans should take only a few seconds and should have unnoticeable impact on performance. Are you saying that you see a difference in performance with the startup scan task enabled and disabled? Do you have LiveGrid and Smart optimization enabled?

I see, I might turn it back on then, I don't notice an impact on performance to be honest since I have a very fast system, my system specs:

ASUS G750JX-CV050H Laptop
CPU: Intel i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
Memory: Hynix 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Sound: Realtek HD Audio with ASUS SonicMaster technology
Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD + External Western Digital My Book 3TB 5400 RPM HDD
Screen: Samsung SEC5044-LTN173HT02P01 17.3" Full HD 3D (1920x1080 120Hz) 16:9 aspect ratio
LAN: Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
WLAN: Bigfoot Networks Killer Dual Band Wireless-N 1202
Router: ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900

On a side note, Live Grid is on, but what is smart optimization? I couldn't find that option

• Administrators

Smart optimization is a mechanism to prevent files from being scanned repeatedly. It's enabled by default but can be disabled for particular protection modules. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend disabling it as it's perfectly safe and it's made not to skip malicious files.

For the startup scanner, you can find this setting in the advanced setup under Computer -> Antivirus and antispyware -> Startup scan -> ThreatSense setup -> Other.

The first thing I do when I install NOD32 is to go to the Task Scheduler and uncheck the run startup scan at user logon but I do keep the run startup scan after successful update.

after my laptop being on for 24 hours, I thought of giving it a reboot, as soon as the reboot happened, I noticed the NOD32 icon animation on, so I hoevered my mouse over and it said in the caption (startup scan)

what gives?

As Marcos says it's not uselss.

But I can say I do the opposite, I disable the startup scan that is suppose to run after each VSD update. But keep it enabled to run at each boot. Yesterday the startup-scan on boot was done within 0.5 seconds. I saw it start but before I moved my cursor over the "e" it was already done.

Edited by SweX

Yesterday the startup-scan on boot was done within 0.5 seconds. I saw it start but before I moved my cursor over the "e" it was already done.

Smart optimization. ;)

None of your files have changed so it skips em all...... (0.5 secs) You're safe. :P

Yesterday the startup-scan on boot was done within 0.5 seconds. I saw it start but before I moved my cursor over the "e" it was already done.

Smart optimization. ;)

None of your files have changed so it skips em all...... (0.5 secs) You're safe. :P

Yeah, but it have usually taken around 3-5 seconds on average before so I was surprised to see it finish lightning fast like that. But I don't mind speedy gonzales of course  :D

Edited by SweX

• Administrators

But I can say I do the opposite, I disable the startup scan that is suppose to run after each VSD update. But keep it enabled to run at each boot. Yesterday the startup-scan on boot was done within 0.5 seconds. I saw it start but before I moved my cursor over the "e" it was already done.

If you often restart your computer, it could be relatively ok. However, if you want ESET to scan memory for malware that has just been added in the last update, I'd strongly recommend leaving the startup scan after update enabled. Otherwise potential malware could remain silently running until you restart your computer.

If you often restart your computer, it could be relatively ok. However, if you want ESET to scan memory for malware that has just been added in the last update, I'd strongly recommend leaving the startup scan after update enabled. Otherwise potential malware could remain silently running until you restart your computer.

Yes once a day. I have it disabled as it takes a longer time to finish if it starts when I have my browser or any other program open.  Wich is also why I don't start doing things on the PC before the startup-scan at boot has finished. I usually start the PC couple minutes before I am going to use it so I know the startup-scan is done by then.