Whitelist Files that Smart Security Thinks are Bad

I have 32 different files on my computer that Smart Security doesn't like.  I have them on my machine for various research projects.  So that SS doesn't flag them, I put them in the exclusions list under Computer > Antivirus and Antispyware > Exclusions.  However, this hasn't changed a thing.  SS still gets upset when it finds them.  How do I exclude or whitelist files that I don't want SS flagging during real time and scheduled scans?

• Administrators

Please enclose a screen shot of your exclusion setup window as well as the detection names that ESET reports on those files.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I got the problem sorted out.  The issue is that I was copying and pasting from the log into the Exclusions list and I wasn't watching my lines closely.  I was picking the shadow copy path and not the real path.

• Administrators

Coincidentally, is there a way to wildcard paths?  So that every instance of the PUP that I don't want ESET to worry about is ignored?

Yes, wildcards are supported. Once you have excluded a particular PUA from detection via the advanced options in the yellow alert window, you can edit the path and replace it with "c:\*" for instance to make the PUA ignored anywhere on the disk C:.

• 4 weeks later...

After having some problems with SS, I ended up talking to the phone support guys.  Great group.  Very knowledgeable.  As an aside, I asked them about the files that I was getting flagged on even though they were whitelisted.  Turns out, they were PUAs and you cannot whitelist PUAs.  The only solution to the problem is to not use the "enable detection of potentially unsafe applications" scanner option.

Thanks for your help, I would have posted screen shots but the paths contain real names of real people who really value their privacy.  It would have been impossible to do a character by character comparison of the paths because of this.  

• Administrators

Given that it's possible to exclude actual threats, why wouldn't it be possible to exclude PUAs? Any file that is detected can be excluded from scanning. In case of PUAs, they can be excluded from detection as well which means actual threats would still be detected on such files.