Endpoint Security Anti phishing non functional

cookieboy69

• Administrators

I really don't like when the free antivirus works better than the paid one. This case is similar. Everything should be in automatic mode ... not like running to every PC (50 and above) and applying fixes, updates etc. Think about it.

V7.2 is the first one that is fully prepared for so-called microPCUs that work differently than upgrades via msi when the product is first uninstalled and then installed from scratch. That used to be a common point when the installation failed so we had to first address this via the already mentioned microPCUs that are supported by latest product versions.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, sdnian said:

This issue only occurs with 6.6.0.0-6.6.2063.x. 6.6.2089 can be updated normally.

Endpoint 6.6 and newer is not affected whatsoever. The issue affects only 6.5 products and the latest versions of Endpoint v5 except the very last one.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ADS82 said:

i've got reported some v7.0 also affected... and they upgrade to v7.1 or 7.2 case was solved.

If there was a problem with Endpoint v7.0, it must have been caused by something else. Please provide more details on how the issue manifests in case it recurs.

The issue discussed in this topic affects only v6.5 and Endpoint v5 except v5.0.2271.

3 hours ago, Marcos said:

As for Endpoint 6.5, we are currently testing a fix. The alert will be updated then and we'll let you know here as well.

Are you working on a fix for Endpoint 5.0?

Please provide automatic fix for version 6.5. We have over 100 pc affected.

If You are serious company and want to hold customers, You have to provide fix for BUG in Your's product.
Setting system date to past and manually uninstall and install is NOT acceptable solution.

Edited by lasek101

I have some Windows XP clients and I started upgrading with 6.6.2089.2. Its not officially supported for Windows Xp, but I can confirm that 6.6.2089.2 works fine on Windows XP SP3 ( i have only 32-bit version of that Windows).

Hope this helps 🍺

Edited by Mitazi

@mcrouse in my case system date must be 7.2 or before, so it can 6.5 load correct and uninstall correctly. For installing another version system date must be today. If you are installing 6.6 or 7.x on 6.5, then the date must be 7.2 or earlier during installation, to be able to properly uninstall 6.5. You can then change the date to today before restart.

13 minutes ago, Mitazi said:

@mcrouse in my case system date must be 7.2 or before, so it can 6.5 load correct and uninstall correctly. For installing another version system date must be today. If you are installing 6.6 or 7.x on 6.5, then the date must be 7.2 or earlier during installation, to be able to properly uninstall 6.5. You can then change the date to today before restart.

I am trying to install 6.6 on 6.5 with Windows XP SP3 but with no success. Which date should i put on system time?

@nme.one 6.5 need to be load correctly before trying to uninstall it. In my case i change system date to 7.2, restart machine (6.5 loads correctly, with no attentions), install 6.6 on 6.5, change system date to today, restart machine. That works.

Shifting the time/date on a domain-joined server is NOT a simple feat for File Security endpoints.

I would rather just boot to safe mode and use the ESET uninstall tool to remove and push out v7.1 instead.

• Administrators

Update (Feb 10, 16:30 CET):
1, A fix tool that will replace ekrn.exe with a fixed version will be ready within today (Feb 10). The tool will need to be run on machines with affected ESET Security products that are malfunctioning. No restart should be needed to get the product work. The tool should work for affected Endpoint v5 as well as v6.5 products also on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.
2, If you have an affected version of the product and it still works alright, do not restart the computer yet. Tomorrow (Feb 11) we'll be releasing Antivirus and antispyware module which will patch ekrn to fix the issue.
3, We should have 6.5 installers with a fixed ekrn.exe ready by tomorrow and will replace them in the repository too.
4, After remedying the issue, please consider upgrading to the latest Endpoint v7.2 wherever possible. While Endpoint v5 and 6.5 products will work until they reach EOL, we strongly encourage you to use the latest version which not only addresses bugs and issues from older versions but also brings substantially better protection against current threats.

I would really recommend to ESET to stop saying please upgrade to version 7 etc etc yes yes we know the latest and greatest but it is frustrating as it does not help us at this moment.  You are saying that with version 7 this could never happen although version 7 also has bugs. Just keep to the facts and release fixes. 

for example please upgrade how? Via the era does not work! Because 6.5 is not working so you need to set back the system date first which causes a database crash if you have such programs so please keep the facts make a fix we will loose business due to this. 

• Administrators

We have already informed that a fix tool is being prepared that will fix existing versions. We fully understand that not everyone can upgrade immediately to newer versions and therefore we never claimed that upgrading today is the only "solution".  Instead, we've been working on a the tool that will fix installations that are already in a bad state. All you'll need to do is to run it on affected machines. The tool should be available within today and should work for both Endpoint v5 and v6.5 products on all systems, including Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Moreover tomorrow we are going to release a new version of the Antivirus and antispyware module which will automatically patch affected versions of the products on machines that have not been restarted yet. Also we are going to replace 6.5 installers in the repository with a fixed version.

Thanks for the update Marcos.  You've mentioned that the patched module will fix machines that have not been restarted.  The majority of my machines are workstations and I have little control over whether users decide to restart them or not.  For those machines that are affected and have been restarted, will the module update not work?

• Administrators

On machines that have been restarted and where ESET doesn't work (ie. neither update does), it will be necessary to run the fix tool that we are testing right now. We'll announce it here when ready.

22 minutes ago, persianmcse said:

Hey dear Marcos
Can you please do me a favor and let me know how to download fix tool?

I'm sure a link will be provided, when it's ready. They're still testing it.

• Administrators

Today we'll have a fix for fixable versions 6.5 (Endpoint 6.5.2118, 6.5.2123, 6.5.2132, server products 6.5.10057, 6.5.10059, 6.5.12017, 6.5.12018, 6.5.14026). For Endpoint v5 and other otherwise "unfixable" versions 6.5, we continue working on a non-trivial fix.

We can assure you that the issue is treated with utmost priority and our developers, QA testers and other staff have been literally working day and night since Saturday to figure out the root cause of the issue and deliver a fix.