Endpoint Security Anti phishing non functional

cookieboy69

I have a really weird problem. I have Endpoint Security 6.5.2132.1 installed on a Windows 10 PC. I turned PC on this morning and got an error Anti phishing non-functional. The only option I had was to Disable Permanently, I couldn’t enable it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but still got the same error. I even resorted to re-formatting the hard drive and Installing Windows 10 again. I then installed Endpoint Security. I wasn’t connected to Wi-Fi, so not activated, but to my amazement I had the same problem with Anti phishing non-functional.  How can this be? In the end I uninstalled Endpoint and installed Eset Security and this works fine 

• Administrators

There is a problem with the old Endpoint 6.5 and verification of dll signatures starting as of Feb 8, 2020. I'd recommend uninstalling the old version 6.5 and installing the latest version 7.2 from scratch.

• Administrators

Not without a special tool that will replace ekrn.exe with a fixed version. The tool is not ready yet. Endpoint 6.6 and newer were not affected by this bug.

However, in order to get complete protection from current threats, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to Endpoint 7.2.

• Administrators

Currently this should work:
- temporarily set the system date to Feb 7, 2020 or earlier
- uninstall Endpoint 6.5
- set a correct system date
- after a reboot, download and install Endpoint 7.2

• Administrators

According to the latest information, the following versions cannot be fixed and will need to be uninstalled and the latest version to be installed:

We are currently preparing a remedy procedure for bigger networks.

Wondering how this would be fixed. The please upgrade is not an option for large networks and the versions are still in support. We have over 15000 nodes without any protection at this moment.  Those nodes run without and ERA in special environments. 

Edited by Glitch

i just change it 6 Feb 2020, then restart computer, then found eset 6.5 still working. after that i adjust back my date and time ,remember have to unclick internet time sync.

@MarcosCame to this thread this morning. Got more than 1000 clients in this state, all of them Windows XP boxes, running the ESET recommended version 6.5.2118.4

This is not among the versions you've listed, however my ESET console has turned red and my phone has not stopped ringing from concerned users.

11 hours ago, Marcos said:

Currently this should work:
- temporarily set the system date to Feb 7, 2020 or earlier
- uninstall Endpoint 6.5
- set a correct system date
- after a reboot, download and install Endpoint 7.2

The instructions above are not a solution! And endpoint 7.2 can not be installed on XP.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, psikowong said:

i just change it 6 Feb 2020, then restart computer, then found eset 6.5 still working. after that i adjust back my date and time ,remember have to unclick internet time sync.

It is necessary to upgrade to the latest version, ie. 7.2 as well unless you are using Windows XP. Otherwise the issue will recur after a computer restart. We do not recommend staying with v6.5 since v7 has substantially better protection against current threats and bruteforce attacks.

Please but please stop with the we recommend to upgrade message yes we get it the latest the greatest but in the current scenario it is not an option we can now confirm that we have issues on over 17000 endpoints!  Upgrades are scheduled and not forced as it can cause more harm than do any good. 

Version 6.5 is in full support still so for us it is very frustrating to hear: please upgrade please upgrade. As a security company ESET has made a real large security hole as all those endpoints are not protected. 

• Administrators

As I wrote, we are testing a fix tool for those who cannot upgrade to the latest version right now for whatever reason. We didn't mean that upgrade to the latest version is the only option, it's just highly recommended if possible. We'll keep you posted.

34 minutes ago, Marcos said:

It is necessary to upgrade to the latest version, ie. 7.2 as well unless you are using Windows XP. Otherwise the issue will recur after a computer restart. We do not recommend staying with v6.5 since v7 has substantially better protection against current threats and bruteforce attacks.

What is the current ESET recommendation for Windows XP? 6.5 or 6.6?

But before answering, please weight your response very carefully: if and only if 6.6 is as stable as 6.5 on XP, I could consider upgrading to the former, as a viable option.

Edited by carmik

• Administrators
Just now, carmik said:

What is the current ESET recommendation for Windows XP? 6.5 or 6.6?

Endpoint 6.6 is not affected whatsoever. While it runs on Windows XP alright, it is not officially supported by this version of Endpoint.

As for Endpoint 6.5, we are currently testing a fix. The alert will be updated then and we'll let you know here as well.

What about fixing this problem on 5.0.xx version? Yes, we are happy owners of 100+ WinXP workstations with 5.0.xx - not 15000, but without pleasure of unexpected upgrade too.

23 minutes ago, Marcos said:

As for Endpoint 6.5, we are currently testing a fix. The alert will be updated then and we'll let you know here as well.

Have any fixes been made for Endpoint 5.0?

27 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Endpoint 6.6 is not affected whatsoever. While it runs on Windows XP alright, it is not officially supported by this version of Endpoint.

True but 6.6 can’t update anymore due to a certificate change on January 27th. We are eagerly awaiting a hot fix. 

we are currently no protection using endpoint 6.5 then now dont have protection, please give us a tool to solve just no need to upgrade, its very hard to ask everyone uninstall then install again new version because that will take time and put us to that risk. thanks

I really don't like when the free antivirus works better than the paid one. This case is similar. Everything should be in automatic mode ... not like running to every PC (50 and above) and applying fixes, updates etc. Think about it.

39 minutes ago, Glitch said:

True but 6.6 can’t update anymore due to a certificate change on January 27th. We are eagerly awaiting a hot fix. 

This issue only occurs with 6.6.0.0-6.6.2063.x. 6.6.2089 can be updated normally.