Outlook - Detected Items folder behaving strangely

PuterCare

This is something I had noticed myself but have also had several customers call about, it started within the past month. I noticed that when in Outlook (Office 365 install), the "Detected Items" folder in the left pane will flash/flicker randomly and is also duplicated 2 or 3 times. 

It gets even stranger when I click the "Detected Items" folder, if I click one of the instances it opens an empty folder but if I click the other instance then Outlook rapidly flicks between the two instances forcing me to have to restart Outlook so I can get into another mail folder or do anything and in some cases even crashes Outlook. 

I know this folder is used by Eset so though the logical place to start would be here. I have logged into OWA and deleted all instances of the Detected Items folder but multiples are recreated when I next open Outlook and the same behaviour is observed. 

So far I have only noticed this when using Endpoint Security.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue for the past 4 weeks.  We use ESET endpoint across our entire company & centralize it via the ERA.  Currently I show 2 Detected Items folders, and they occasionally blink causing my left nav bar to refresh.  When I click on either of the folders Outlook stops responding and I am forced to kill the application process in order to get Outlook running again.

Assistance asap would be appreciated, otherwise our company will have to migrate to a different AV solution.

• Administrators

Do you have Endpoint 7.2 installed? Does the issue go away if you disable integration with MS Outlook or email protection by client plug-ins? Does disabling scanning of read email or checking upon inbox content change make a difference?

image.png

I updated to 7.2 (was on 7.1), closed Outlook, disabled both those options, applied, opened Outlook and when selecting one of the Detected Items folders it was fine but when selecting the other it crashed Outlook again. I can't say if the flashing has been fixed as I only had a few minutes spare to test this for you.

• Administrators

Please try to narrow it down to a particular setting that must be disabled in order for the issue to go away (especially disabling "Read email" and "Disable checking upon inbox content change").

Do you use cached Exchange mode?

image.png

An easy fix that worked for me is right-clicking the Detected Items folder that crashes Outlook and deleting it (then deleting the folder in Deleted Items as well).

Not sure why a user or two had duplicates but this corrected it for them.

Outlook 2016 MSI using cached Exchange mode and EES 7.2.2055

3 hours ago, John.From.VT said:

An easy fix that worked for me is right-clicking the Detected Items folder that crashes Outlook and deleting it (then deleting the folder in Deleted Items as well).

Not sure why a user or two had duplicates but this corrected it for them.

Outlook 2016 MSI using cached Exchange mode and EES 7.2.2055

I had deleted the duplicate folder in OWA but when loading Outlook again they reappeared but I just looked and at the moment I only have one Detected Items folder in Outlook so perhaps whatever was causing this is now resolved!