Telemetry module EIS

Hello friends.

Sorry, my english isn't good.

I accidentally saw the telemetry module at the bottom of the installed component list.below the machine learning module. but on another my laptop this module is not listed on component list...! both products on the laptops are the same version (EIS13.0.24.0).

what is this module and what does it do?

82742486_telemetrymodule.PNG.a9fdca1518292ad6f2a7592bed317924.PNG

I am grateful for your guidance.

The "Customer Experience Improvement Program" setting has no bearing on if the Eset telemetry module is installed. I have this setting disabled and the telemetry module is installed on my EIS 13.0.24 device.

So the answer to this question:

10 hours ago, mhmd said:

the telemetry module at the bottom of the installed component list.below the machine learning module. but on another my laptop this module is not listed on component list...! both products on the laptops are the same version (EIS13.0.24.0).

Remains unresolved.

Perhaps it relates to pre-release update status? I have this enabled on my Eset installation. However, I believe this module is installed on all Eset installations unless manually or third party software removed. Are you using any third party privacy based software on the device that is missing the telemetry module?

Be interesting what all is being sent home, having that module listed using pre-release update channel.

Might switch back to regular-update just to not have the telemetry module.

Why would they need a telemetry module to check the version, which is already checked in regular-updates?

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, SRT said:

Be interesting what all is being sent home, having that module listed using pre-release update channel.
Might switch back to regular-update just to not have the telemetry module.
Why would they need a telemetry module to check the version, which is already checked in regular-updates?

Probably you've missed what was written above.

The module concerns Customer Experience Improvement Program that you can OPT IN during ESET installation. For more information and for a list of what data is gathered, please refer to

https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/ceip.html

What types of information do we collect?

Data about interaction with the product

This information tells us more about how our products are used. Thanks to this we know, for example, which functionalities are used often, what settings users modify or how much time they spend using the product.

Data about devices

We collect this information to understand where and what devices our products are used on. Typical examples are device model, country, version and name of the operating system.

Error diagnostics data

Information about error and crash situations is also collected. For example, what error has occurred and which actions led to it.

Why do we collect this information?

This anonymous information lets us improve our products for you, our user. It helps us to make them the most relevant, easy-to-use and faultless as possible.

Who controls this information?

ESET, spol. s r.o. is the sole controller of data collected in the Program. This information is not shared with third parties.

hello @itman

I only using ESET since 2007 and i never use third-party privacy software.

update setting is default and set on release channel.

in this photo you can see other modules version on my laptop.

scheme.thumb.PNG.3cdee17034830302ad959be3b622c6f1.PNG

• Administrators

That's most likely because the Antivirus and antispyware module 1559.1 has been released only to a portion of users with regular updates so far, with the rest to follow soon.

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Probably you've missed what was written above.

The module concerns Customer Experience Improvement Program that you can OPT IN during ESET installation. For more information and for a list of what data is gathered, please refer to

https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/ceip.html

What types of information do we collect?

Data about interaction with the product

This information tells us more about how our products are used. Thanks to this we know, for example, which functionalities are used often, what settings users modify or how much time they spend using the product.

Data about devices

We collect this information to understand where and what devices our products are used on. Typical examples are device model, country, version and name of the operating system.

Error diagnostics data

Information about error and crash situations is also collected. For example, what error has occurred and which actions led to it.

Why do we collect this information?

This anonymous information lets us improve our products for you, our user. It helps us to make them the most relevant, easy-to-use and faultless as possible.

Who controls this information?

ESET, spol. s r.o. is the sole controller of data collected in the Program. This information is not shared with third parties.

I did opt out.

Why is the module present when using pre-release update channel?  Even though I opted out through advance settings and when installed.

NOT there using regular update.  Just tested using "Regular updates"

Edited by SRT

11 minutes ago, SRT said:

Why is the module present when using pre-release update channel? 

I am not that concerned about the module be present in PRU. The question is if in PRU mode is opt-out from Customer Experience option being overriden?

I have the option to be alerted on submissions to Eset enabled. So far, those have been only for options I specifically allowed. So I assume no "hidden" telemetry is being sent.

• Administrators

Support for Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) has been there since 2016. The only change is that it's now displayed in the list of modules.

As already written, participation in CEIP is optional and is disabled by default unless the user opts is during installation or later in the advanced setup. The fact that the module appears in the list doesn't mean that it was enabled. Modules are installed regardless of whether a particular feature (e.g. HIPS, firewall, etc.) is enabled or not. More information on CEIP is provided at the above link and in the privacy policy at https://help.eset.com/eis/13/en-US/privacy_policy.html.

Thanks for the information.

I just think it is strange to have the telemetry module showing sometimes depending on the kind of updates received.

"The question is if in PRU mode is opt-out from Customer Experience option being overridden?" Itman is right, this question is more important.

I will leave it at that. Thanks again.

Edited by SRT

• Administrators
4 hours ago, SRT said:

I just think it is strange to have the telemetry module showing sometimes depending on the kind of updates received.

When modules from the pre-release update channel make it to the regular update channel, it will be visible for all users.