ESET FAILED TO INSTALL DUE TO POSSIBLE MALWARE

ScottWStewart

I am trying to install ESET Endpoint Security on a workstation running Windows 7 Pro, I am going to upgrade the OS to Windows 10 Pro after the ESET update however when I go to install ESET I get the error that it failed to install, this could be because your system possibly is infected with Malware. Then it gives me the option to scan for malware and it says it found malware and cleaned it. But when I go to install ESET again it gives me the same message. I am updating from ESET Endpoint Security 7.0.2091.0 to ESET Endpoint security 7.2.2055.0

5 hours ago, ScottWStewart said:

Then it gives me the option to scan for malware and it says it found malware and cleaned it. But when I go to install ESET again it gives me the same message

Have you rebooted the device? If not, do so and see if you now can install EES.

• Administrators

Please carry on as follows:

1, Configure installation logging as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb406-how-do-i-generate-an-installation-error-log-for-windows-eset-products
2, Start logging with Procmon prior to launching the installer and stop logging when the installation fails
3, Save the Procmon log and compress it.
4, Collect logs with ESET Log Collector.

Finally upload all 3 logs (the install log, Procmon log, ELC logs) here.

Hi Scott,

Just my 2c...

If you've got sometime to trouble shoot I would recommend giving the Manual Uninstaller tool a shot.
https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool

You'll need to reboot your computer in Safe-mode then try again. 

This occasionally works for me.

Hi Scott et al. 

The company I work for bought two brand new Dell laptops yesterday. We make use of the ECA so I generated a new installer (simple group management installer) to get them picked up on the cloud. It ran the installer successfully (it seemed) but nowhere does it register that it is actually installed, not natively on the laptop or on the cloud. I then tried installing endpoint anti-irus and it installed the entire group management installer again, and then at the end of the anti-virus installation I get the exact same error as Scott regarding the possible malware. Again, these are two brand new Dell laptops with Windows 10 Pro. 

Please be so kind to post the solution to this issue should you find one. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Raynard said:

Please be so kind to post the solution to this issue should you find one.

It's usually caused by incorrect permissions to certain registry keys, requested logs should shed more light.

18 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please carry on as follows:

1, Configure installation logging as per https://support.eset.com/en/kb406-how-do-i-generate-an-installation-error-log-for-windows-eset-products
2, Start logging with Procmon prior to launching the installer and stop logging when the installation fails
3, Save the Procmon log and compress it.
4, Collect logs with ESET Log Collector.

Finally upload all 3 logs (the install log, Procmon log, ESET Log Collector logs) here.

Will this logging program work with the business version of the ESET client?

• Administrators
On 1/30/2020 at 5:13 PM, ScottWStewart said:

Will this logging program work with the business version of the ESET client?

Yes, it will work with msi installers. In case of home products, Live installer generates install logs automatically and they are also collected by ESET Log Collector for further perusal by ESET staff.

Try installing the following windows update

KB4490628

KB4474419

I have had similar issues on Windows 7 machines when upgrading from 5 to 7 and these updates have stopped the error you mentioned. So not quite the same as you but it might help

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 2:41 AM, Marcos said:

Yes, it will work with msi installers. In case of home products, Live installer generates install logs automatically and they are also collected by ESET Log Collector for further perusal by ESET staff.

Marcos,

I've been very busy with doing some hardware updates on the desktops here, but hope to follow the procedure you laid out for me this afternoon. Again, thanks for the help!

On 1/29/2020 at 8:16 PM, Cp3p0 said:

Hi Scott,

Just my 2c...

If you've got sometime to trouble shoot I would recommend giving the Manual Uninstaller tool a shot.
https://support.eset.com/en/kb2289-uninstall-eset-manually-using-the-eset-uninstaller-tool

You'll need to reboot your computer in Safe-mode then try again. 

This occasionally works for me.

I successfully uninstalled ESET using the uninstaller tool, rebooted and ran the installer again and I didn't have any Malware issues preventing the fresh installation of ESET Endpoint Security 7.2.2055.0! All is well now and running up to speed. Thanks for all the responses guys. Cp3p0 thanks for the solution.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Carlos Marino said:

Usually this error is related to missing updates on OS level.

Never seen the error to be caused by missing Windows updates. Do you know what updates must not be installed in order for the error to occur?

37 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Never seen the error to be caused by missing Windows updates. Do you know what updates must not be installed in order for the error to occur?

I usually follow this KB:

https://support.eset.com/en/kb2892-system-requirements-for-eset-endpoint-security-eset-endpoint-antivirus