Eset blocking ultra VNC please help.

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hi Guys,

I'm running ESET end point protection along with the ESET remote administrator. 

I've now installed the client on 5 machines and the server is picking them up. Problem is ESET is blocking all VNC connections. 

I've tried setting up a policy to allow VNC on port 5900 (default port) but it's not working. 

Please help, how do I exclude Ultra VNC running on port 5900 and 5800? 

Kind Regards,
Werner Marx

• Administrators

In the default Automatic mode, ESET firewall allows all outbound communication and blocks all non-initiated inbound communication. In order to be able to connect to a computer remotely via VNC, you can either create an allowing rule with ports 5900 and 5800. You can also confine the rule to specific IP addresses, subnet or range.

Alternatively you can switch the firewall to learning mode for a while until all necessary rules are created automatically and then switch either to the Policy-based mode or Automatic mode with exceptions.

Hi there Marcos,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not certain how to setup the rule on ERA because I've setup a policy and it doesn't seem to work. Can you explain how do I set up this rule to allow ports 5900 and 5800 so that all the pc's will allow VNC? Or point me to some documentation that will explain how to do it? 

Kind Regards

W

• Administrators
  • Solution

When editing the policy, under Personal firewall - Settings -> Filtering mode change the mode to "Automatic mode with exceptions".

Under "Rule setup", create a new allowing rule with local ports 5800 and 5900 added. To confine the rule to specific IP addresses, subnets or ranges, you can do so in the Remote tab.