ESET Security Management Center - Problems with Java 8 Update 241

My ESET System is running in stable state now for a long time....

My server reports that the is a Java update available (Java 8 Update 241). I did the update, restart the server and tried to connect to the Management Center. The Management Center is no more available. Local and from other computers.

I uninstalled the Update, installed the old Version (Java 8 Update 231) and had no success to give the Management Center to live again.

The only thing that worked is to restore the server to the state before I did the Java update.

Has anyone the same experience? What can I do to keep Java up to date, but having a working Management Center?

• ESET Staff
57 minutes ago, TomTomTom said:

My server reports that the is a Java update available (Java 8 Update 241). I did the update, restart the server and tried to connect to the Management Center. The Management Center is no more available. Local and from other computers.

I uninstalled the Update, installed the old Version (Java 8 Update 231) and had no success to give the Management Center to live again.

The only thing that worked is to restore the server to the state before I did the Java update.

Has anyone the same experience? What can I do to keep Java up to date, but having a working Management Center?

Please check Apache Tomcat configuration, it is probably configured to use Java from fixed path, which would result in failure as upgrade of Java changes paths. Also it is possible that JAVA_HOME environment variable is not set correctly after update.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin,

I checked my system in the state before installing the new Java:

- The environment variable JAVA_HOME does not exist (surprise - but the system is running and everything works fine)

- Java -version shows 1.8.0_231

Then I let the update run with the result I can not connect to the ESMC console.

- Java - version shows 1.8.0_241

- setting a JAVA_HOME variable brings no improvement

Has anyone an idea what can I do further? How and where can I check the Apache Tomcat configuration? The ESET environment was installed out of the box....nothing special

Thanks

Hi Edward,

thanks for trying to help. I did yout recommendations, but the problem is still the same. After the installation it is impossible to connect to the console.

• Most Valued Members
On 1/24/2020 at 2:35 PM, TomTomTom said:

Hi,

Here are a few ideas that I have:

1. Check if the Tomcat logs say anything.
  2. Check if the Tomcat service is running.
  3. Were there any firewall changes?  You mentioned that you tried to connect to the MC and that it's not available.  What exact error did you get?  A 404?  Cannot connect (i.e. not listening to any connections)?   On the ESMC server, if you do a "netstat -na",  is the port available and listening?

Edmund

• 3 weeks later...

I tried it again... With the new Java version the Apache Tomcat 9.0 Service is not starting anymore....

I changed nothing in firewall settings...

Where can I find the Tomcat log?