Deploying ERA to MAC computer not working, goes wrong during the terminal installation.

Hello,

To say i'm inexperienced at this would be an understatement, I've been trying to deploy the Eset Remote Administrator Agent to the MAC but it keeps giving me an error, I have no idea what it means. This is my first time using a MAC (took me fifteen minutes to get to the terminal) so I'm sure it's obvious to some, hope you could help me. I'm using Eset Endpoint Security 7.2 and Remote Administrator Agent 6.4.  If you need any more information just let me know!

Aantekening 2020-01-23 171943.png

• ESET Staff

Unfortunately errors is not very clear - most probably there is some kind of "escaping" issue in installer script, but might be also incompatibility with recent maOS versions.

Just to be sure, are you aware that ERA 6.4 is no longer in support (= it reached it's EOL) and such old ERA Agent won't even run on current macOS 10.15 "Catalina"?

In order to diagnose where exactly installer fails, executing it as:

bash -x EraAgentInstaller.sh

might be helpful -> it will be much more verbose and it should be clear where the problem is. As I mentioned, most probable issue is that command hdiutil is called with parameters that are not properly escaped (= maybe some path contains space and it is not handled properly).

In case it won't help, as an alternative, manual installation might be solution. Standalone installer in "dmg" format has graphical wizard, where certain connectivity details will be required, as is hostname of ERA server and certificates required for connections.

@MartinK apologies for the late reply, thanks for the command. However, after I posted this thread I wasn't aware of the fact that 6.4 wasn't being supported with macOS 10.15 Catalina so I guess I know what the problem is, I should probably be looking at a migration to the most recent version before I even try anything else :).

Thanks for the help, do you think the error is related to the fact that it isn't being supported anymore? 

• ESET Staff
8 hours ago, GolfWangDee said:

@MartinK apologies for the late reply, thanks for the command. However, after I posted this thread I wasn't aware of the fact that 6.4 wasn't being supported with macOS 10.15 Catalina so I guess I know what the problem is, I should probably be looking at a migration to the most recent version before I even try anything else :).

Thanks for the help, do you think the error is related to the fact that it isn't being supported anymore? 

Unfortunately that is hard to confirm without testing or more date, but ERA 6.4 was definitely not tested in such environment. Errors seems to be more related to installer script, nor ERA Agent, but it might have the same issue - incompatibility with macOS 10.15 environment.

On 1/24/2020 at 5:47 PM, MartinK said:

Unfortunately that is hard to confirm without testing or more date, but ERA 6.4 was definitely not tested in such environment. Errors seems to be more related to installer script, nor ERA Agent, but it might have the same issue - incompatibility with macOS 10.15 environment.

Hey Martin, we're looking for the right time to upgrade ESET. Though before that I gave the upgrade a second try with the command you gave me, I put it in the attachments. Hope you get to take a look at it, I put in everything just to be sure i don't miss any information.

Edited by GolfWangDee

• ESET Staff

From provided logs it seems that it is not possible to "mount" (= open) installer DMG file. My best guess from provided logs and also previous posts and screenshots is that script is not executed with Administrator/root privileges. Could you verify that you are running installer either from root terminal, or using sudo. For example something like:

sudo bash -x EraAgentInstaller.sh

but that will obviously resolve only installer script and there will be still problem to install & run ERA 6.4 Agent on macOs 10.15 due to breaking changes in operating system itself.

Unfortunately we are missing check for permissions in macOS installer script and thus resulting in such a obscure failure. We will try to address this for upcoming releases.

@MartinK Hey, I put the log for the sudo command in the attachments, hope you understand what's going on. 

Yeah, that makes sense. I would like the script to be working before I go through with the upgrade and have it still not work haha, I hope the next message I send you will be from the ESMC future, for now I'm still in the past ;).

Error log sudo command.txt

• ESET Staff
4 hours ago, GolfWangDee said:

@MartinK Hey, I put the log for the sudo command in the attachments, hope you understand what's going on. 

Yeah, that makes sense. I would like the script to be working before I go through with the upgrade and have it still not work haha, I hope the next message I send you will be from the ESMC future, for now I'm still in the past ;).

Error log sudo command.txt 19.91 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for new logs. Now, script works correctly, package is successfully downloaded, installation parameters are ready and installation itself of PKG file is started. Unfortunately more details of installation failure will be available in different log file:

/var/log/install.log

but in case of macOS 10.15 it won't be meaningful, as in such case, even executing of helper tools bundled in installer with fail. There are multiple reasons for this:

• ERA 6.4 Agent for macOS is 32bit application and support for them was dropped in macOs 10.15
  • ERA 6.4 Agent is not notarized, which is process required for all applications to be installed on macOS 10.15
  • ERA 6.4 Agent might try to use old OpenSSL library available in macOS 10.15 resulting in operation abort