McAfee Locked Flash Drive

omega0401

I have a McAfee locked USB flash drive.  Each time I plug it in I get a windows message that there is a problem with my drive.  And Eset wants to scan the drive even though I have temporarily disabled my antivirus.  Why does it want to scan it when it is supposed to be disabled?  I can't get the McAfee message to allow me to enter in my password for the flash drive. 

BTW I am running Windows 10 on a desktop computer.

Edited by omega0401

• Administrators

You can have only one antivirus installed at a time. If you would like to use ESET only as a 2nd opinion on-demand scanner, you would have to disable all protection modules and possibly rename drivers as well which would subsequently generate warnings in gui (could be suppressed in the application statuses setup).

I'd recommend uninstalling the other AV and use ESET, however, for maximum protection use ESET Internet Security (includes also a firewall, antispam, Parental Control and Anti-Theft) or ESET Smart Security Premium (which is EIS with Disk Encryption and Password Manager modules). These two also include botnet and network attack protection modules as opposed to ESET NOD32 Antivirus and thus provide protection against brute-force RDP attacks often carried out by attackers to gain access to remote machines and to encrypt files and extort money from the victim.

18 hours ago, omega0401 said:

I have a McAfee locked USB flash drive.  Each time I plug it in I get a windows message that there is a problem with my drive.  And Eset wants to scan the drive even though I have temporarily disabled my antivirus.  Why does it want to scan it when it is supposed to be disabled?  I can't get the McAfee message to allow me to enter in my password for the flash drive. 

In Eset GUI settings, select:

Advanced setup -> Real-time file system protection -> Mouse click on the gear symbol and select Configure -> Malware scans -> Removable Media

Then set Action to take after inserting removable media to "Do not scan." Save your settings.

Eset_Scan.thumb.png.1a28db18604b1dc1bc3bf9836e42209a.png

When you insert the USB drive, there should be no interference from Eset in any way. When done with the drive, repeat the above steps and set the scan settings back to the default "Show scan options"

3 hours ago, itman said:

In Eset GUI settings, select:

Advanced setup -> Real-time file system protection -> Mouse click on the gear symbol and select Configure -> Malware scans -> Removable Media

Then set Action to take after inserting removable media to "Do not scan." Save your settings.

When you insert the USB drive, there should be no interference from Eset in any way. When done with the drive, repeat the above steps and set the scan settings back to the default "Show scan options"

Itman, thank you.  I was looking under Device Control to disable the flash scan instead of Detection Engine. That fixed that problem.  The last problem is Win 10 keeps telling me there's a problem with the Flash as soon as I plug it in.  I think that is preventing the McAfee executable on the Flash from displaying the password dialog so I can access my files.  Is there a way to stop Win 10 from checking the flash drive?

In my Hardware settings, autoplay is enabled. 

Under settings, devices, autoplay, the Removable Drive says take no action.  But why is it want to scan it when plug it in?  At my work PC, I have no problem access those files.

Edited by omega0401

2 hours ago, omega0401 said:

Is there a way to stop Win 10 from checking the flash drive?

Win 10 AutoPlay and USB settings are shown below. Suspect you will have to disable the default Win notification USB setting.

Win_Autpplay.thumb.png.660385779d22c8e038db8bed3d2213d1.png

Win_USB.thumb.png.9fae62f5927ee5b74a58cbe08199f910.png