Smart Security detected a safe virus?

Go to solution Solved by Marcos,

Hello!

I want to download a safe file from a site. And it has a mirror download link in Cnet. So I download it from Cnet since it is more secure to download there. But Eset Smart Security 7 block it. I disabled it so that it can download the file. The file downloaded normally and I installed the application. I went back to my downloads folder and scan the Cnet installer app. It was detected as harmful application. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Administrators
  • Solution

There's nothing like a safe virus; either an application / file is innocuous or harmful. Probably you're referring to the CNET download wrapper detected as a potentially unwanted application (PUA). These applications do not carry out malicious actions but some users may want to keep them away from their computers. Detection of PUA is optional and can be enabled/disabled during installation or later in the program setup. Even with PUA detection enabled, particular PUAs can be excluded from detection.

I want to add that ESET didn't detect the actual software you wanted to download as i'm sure it's perfectly safe, but the bundled software that comes with it wich is seen as unwanted junk.