Losing Gateway Connection

I recently switched to AT&T fiber. For some reason about every 20-30 minutes my desktop and laptop (that both have ESET) loses connection... and at different times. I have had AT&T out to check their configuration and all is good. Is there something tripping up the connection?

• Administrators

If the issue can be reproduced within 30 minutes, you might want to try temporarily uninstalling ESET to confirm or rule out that it's somehow involved in the issue. During this time reduce the browsing activity only to bare minimum to prevent possible infection especially if you don't have Windows 10.

I use AT&T 1GB fiber. Have had it installed for some time. Have used EIS during the entire time fiber has been installed and have never had the issue you describe.

I have had issues with AT&T issued Pace 5286AC gateway in regards to DHCPv6 which resulted in my having to change a few Eset default firewall rules. But those issues never resulted in dropped connections as you describe.

Dropped connections are usually related to line connection issues, faulty gateway firmware, or basically ISP related.

Edited by itman

A few other possible reasons for dropped Internet connections.

You are using either AT&T provided or your own Ethernet based Powelink adapters and those devices are not properly synced. This one affected me.

You are connecting via Wi-Fi connection and one or more of the IoT devices within your premises is interfering with the Wi-Fi connection.

One of your neighbor's is hi-jacking your Wi-FI connection. Assuming you are using Eset Home/Office firewall profile, the Connected Home Monitor tool should alert you to any suspected network connection activity.

Note that AT&T diagnostic services only verify that that you are properly receiving an Internet connection to the gateway. Beyond that, you are pretty much on your own.

Edited by itman