Firewall prompts and Windows 8.1

I've just installed Windows 8.1 on my laptop and have been experiencing issues with ESS v6.0.316.0 and v7.0.302.0.

When using apps from the start screen, I don't see a firewall prompt when that app requires internet access.  I have to go back to the desktop in order to see the prompt.

Is there any way I can force ESS to display the prompt on the app window?

Thanks.

Just seen the setting to allow Metro apps.  It was already enabled.

However, opening some apps still seem to initiate internet traffic from connected apps and services.

• Administrators

Do you mean that no window with action selection is displayed for non-Metro applications when run from the start screen? Such applications should open on the desktop which means that the firewall prompt window should be displayed as well.

• Administrators

I think he wants a metro eset version to interrupt metro apps instead of having to go back to the desktop to make selections :)

Communication for Metro applications is enabled by default. If it's needed to select an action for Metro applications, a prompt window should also appear on the start screen.

Do you mean that no window with action selection is displayed for non-Metro applications when run from the start screen? Such applications should open on the desktop which means that the firewall prompt window should be displayed as well.

No I mean that some metro apps such as Bing News, Sport etc seem to be generating traffic through other services such as Windows Store Host and svchost.  However, the prompt only shows on the desktop so cannot be actioned until I switch to desktop.

He has to switch back and forth from his metro apps, and the desktop to address ESS pop ups and dialogues.

I have seen this myself a time or two.

Edited by Arakasi

For the time being, I've just decided to block most of the traffic back to MS which goes through Windows Explorer and some other processes.  I appreciate that this may affect some features of Windows 8 from working correctly but I'm going to monitor things and if I notice any problems, I can always unblock or edit the rule.

It's staggering just how much more traffic to MS I'm seeing on Windows 8 compared to previous versions.