ESET SS main GUI eats up all the memory

version 7.0.302.26 (previous had that memory leak too - upgrading did not help)

The main GUI of ESET SS  sometimes uses many gigabytes of memory.  Yesterday - 6 GB, but I remember it using much more. Possibly more than 20 GB.

Usually I can kill the main GUI from the task manager and then it restarts by itself at once and after restarting it uses about 5 MB only.

But at least once I was not able to kill it and had to reboot.

I was not able to detect the exact moment or the reason when/why it occurs. And because my license expires in 11 days I am thinking about trying something else - I have also another issue which might be ESET related, not sure yet - I guess, better to write separately about it.

My system:

Windows 8 64 bit with  explorer.exe from Windows 7 (in a wrapper) - so I don't have any Metro or Apps or  lucky charms or whatever they are called.

Memory: 32 GB

• Administrators

version 7.0.302.26 (previous had that memory leak too - upgrading did not help)

The main GUI of ESET SS  sometimes uses many gigabytes of memory.  Yesterday - 6 GB, but I remember it using much more. Possibly more than 20 GB.

Usually I can kill the main GUI from the task manager and then it restarts by itself at once and after restarting it uses about 5 MB only.

But at least once I was not able to kill it and had to reboot.

I was not able to detect the exact moment or the reason when/why it occurs. And because my license expires in 11 days I am thinking about trying something else - I have also another issue which might be ESET related, not sure yet - I guess, better to write separately about it.

If you are able to reproduce the isssue at any time, please disable Self-defense and restart the computer. When you notice the process is consuming too much RAM, create a dump of egui.exe via the Task manager -> Create dump function. When done, compress the memory dump, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

No, I can't reproduce it at any time.  Yesterday it was 6 GB, but now it is staying at 4.8 MB. I'm not sure how frequently it occurs because I may not notice it for days and weeks - having lots of free memory.

Possibly it is related to hundreds of open tabs in 64 bit Opera 12.16 - it sometimes uses similar amount of memory as Opera, but perhaps a coincidence - so far it does not happen.

No, SSL scanning is disabled - by default, probably.

Among all those open tabs there are usually very few or no https pages.

Am I the first one to report a memory leak in the GUI?

If the GUI is just a GUI and nothing else, this memory leak should not depend on what other applications I am running, etc.

I often have uTorrent with many active torrents, NewsBinPro (64 bit) using lots of memory and with many active threads, and Opera (64 bit build) with multiple open tabs and windows

And I have three network adapters simultaneously active, max bandwidth on two of them is > 300 Mbps each, on the third one - 100 Mbps, so network activity is sometimes considerable.

I have two usenet servers on specific adapters and the default gw (for uTorrent etc) - on the third one.

But still, - it is just a GUI, not a scanning engine?

Currently the main gui is using 7.2 MB - increased slightly from 4.8 MB it was stuck at  before. I doubt if it reaches gigabytes so gradually.

Edited by parkher

• Administrators

My egui.exe takes up between 11-24 MB of RAM so 7 MB seems to me pretty ok. If it goes beyond 30-40 MBs, please create a dump of egui.exe via the Task manager. When done, compress the dump, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

After staying below 8 MB for several days,  today  Smart Security gui memory usage finally began to grow. First I saw it was about 78 MB, now, a few hours later  - 715.8 MB (it grew while I was off computer and not doing  anything (I mean, not starting anything new or not opening new tabs, or not actively downloading anything, Opera, uTorrent, NewsBinPro, several instances of Far, etc - remained open)

If the problem is somehow related to Opera, the current Opera memory usage: 2,224.6 MB - maybe before I had not enough open tabs

While I was typing this, just in a couple of minutes,  the gui memory usage further grew to 731.5 MB.

I did nothing except typed this text and closed a few Opera tabs - the Opera memory usage actually went down.

It seems that once the gui started growing, it will continue.

A minute later: 734.5 MB.  

Let me use a timer set to 1 minute:

Start: 737.3 MB

End: 738.7 MB

Start: 740.0 MB

End: 741.4 MB

Interesting, a stable rate of 1.4 MB a minute :)

Edited by parkher

I now closed everything except the task manager and Opera. I also closed all the tabs in Opera except this one.

Strange,  the memory usage of Opera went down to 719.5 MB only. One this tab, really?

The SS gui growing rate, 1 minute:

Start: 780.0 MB (yes, it went up 40 MB already)

End: 781.3 MB

The same rate, even with everything closed. I will now close Opera altogether. And see what happens then.

Of course, there are still background processes and windows processes, not sure if killing some of them could help. But active application will be closed.

BTW:

ESET service: 103.4 MB  - does not seem to be growing

ESET Main GUI: 787.4 MB

So I closed Opera,  killed some background processes that clearly could be killed, closed even the task manager.   The GUI still growing.

Now it is 823.3 MB

No wonder it got over 20 GB when kept growing long enough.

Edited by parkher

I just noticed one thing:  Windows updates are available - maybe the gui starts growing when Windows updates are available?  It is a possibility.  SS detects windows updates

• Administrators

Please create a dump of egui.exe via the Task manager when you notice it's taking up too much RAM. When done, compress it, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link so that we can investigate the issue.

OK, the dump created and uploaded, the pm sent.  

I repeat - once the memory usage starts growing it keeps growing at a pretty constant rate, even when all other applications are closed. Once the memory leak occurs, it continues until all the available memory is used up.

This time the leak occurred after  Eset SS detected that Windows was out-of-date (important updates available). It may have been a coincidence or not.

My latest problems were even with Sony PRS-T2, and even after fresh reboot.  The card separately still worked fine but T2 is not designed for frequent access to the card.

Notice that when only the internal card was used, Aura HD was handled fine. The problem is when an additional external sd card is inserted into the reader.