Win 7 to 10, whole slew of potential threats

Cougar

I've upgraded from win 7 pro 64 to win 10 just recently. I've always had eSet(12.2.30) for some years now. I usually seek help on youtube whenever I change OS's to learn it and also to get a gauge on it's quirks and popularity. I almost installed it years back, but got turned off when a Beta Win 10 release update hung my system. Good thing I did a recent Win 7 mirror. I turned all updates off and decided to put 10 off until the end. Now, after install I can't believe the number of the authors who all have similar complaints, one claiming to have worked for MS. There seems to be consensus that MS is in cahoots with sellers who are trying to obtain buying habits of the computer users or web buyers to aid their own interests, or for MS to learn what future computer products they will be interested in buying. Just having to set up my basic operating system and not having yet gone deep into the suggestions of the authors who want their viewers to try this or that and to prove them right about Win 10. However, I have discovered so far that a few habits of Win10 were exactly what they said would happen, mostly the problem of it's resetting the default settings I made which is annoying.

My question is why is ESet so quiet while all this is happening? Not a peep, just the occasional notification of another sale offer from them. But as a loyal Eseter, I have come to trust them, and know that behind the scenes, they are fending off the scores of conspirators who are at attack at the gates. But, still...... quiet......

I noted Win 10 Youtubers seem to have more than one virus checker in their start group. Some may have 2 active, each behaving with each other they will assure you. One I noted on his screen behind him that he has an eSet in mem, BUT he recommends that we should also have Malwarebytes, and have it check the system often. He took a few minutes to describe Spybot, which was interesting since I used an antiquated version it almost 20 years back. All this insecurity of others has me sit up and pay attention. I ask myself, isn't eSet checking the firewall for nasty intruders?

Just wondering if I'm getting concerned for nothing and what your own thoughts are.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Cougar

• Most Valued Members

Both operating systems have their own vulnerabilities(like every system in the world) and differences , you should keep them up-to-date , it's now not possible with Windows 7 due to Microsoft dropping the support

Windows 10 isn't like Windows 7 , it has some of it's own different things that Microsoft wanted to put , they may be bad or good depending on the user view , while ESET has nothing to do with all I've talked about , it's not their product so they have no power of what Microsoft is doing with their products

2 realtime AVs in the same time will cause conflicts , you can install ESET and activate it as real time and use Windows Defender as second opinion scanner , or something like HitmanPro

About the firewall , when you install Internet Security or Smart Security , you get ESET firewall installed , it will run if I am not mistaken by default on Automatic Mode , which will make automatic rules in the firewall depending on the machine learning or reputation or I don't know how exactly it works

ESET provides you with Firewall and Network Protection.

EDIT:

Here exactly you can see about ESET's technologies : https://www.eset.com/int/about/technology/

And also you are more protected in Windows 10 than in Windows 7 in my opinion , but I'm not talking about Privacy issues in W10 or the applications that it forces download on the user.

Edited by Rami

Microsoft and Eset plus most major AV vendors recommend only one real-time solution be used. If additional security solutions are deployed, they should be used in on-demand scan mode only,

Win 10 native security protections are much more extensive than anything that was provided in Win 7.

As far as privacy issues with Win 10, most of those features can be disabled manually or third party software can be deployed to disable them.

As far as Eset's "non-chattiness" you are concerned about, Eset is designed to block most malware on download before it even hits your disk. As such, its a rare occasion that an Eset on-demand scan ever detects anything. It usually occurs if a new signature has been added and something downloaded previously is detected. And most of this falls in the catagory of penetration test tools, scripts, and the like.

• Most Valued Members
20 hours ago, Cougar said:

I've upgraded from win 7 pro 64 to win 10 just recently. I've always had eSet(12.2.30) for some years now. I usually seek help on youtube whenever I change OS's to learn it and also to get a gauge on it's quirks and popularity. I almost installed it years back, but got turned off when a Beta Win 10 release update hung my system. Good thing I did a recent Win 7 mirror. I turned all updates off and decided to put 10 off until the end. Now, after install I can't believe the number of the authors who all have similar complaints, one claiming to have worked for MS. There seems to be consensus that MS is in cahoots with sellers who are trying to obtain buying habits of the computer users or web buyers to aid their own interests, or for MS to learn what future computer products they will be interested in buying. Just having to set up my basic operating system and not having yet gone deep into the suggestions of the authors who want their viewers to try this or that and to prove them right about Win 10. However, I have discovered so far that a few habits of Win10 were exactly what they said would happen, mostly the problem of it's resetting the default settings I made which is annoying.

My question is why is ESet so quiet while all this is happening? Not a peep, just the occasional notification of another sale offer from them. But as a loyal Eseter, I have come to trust them, and know that behind the scenes, they are fending off the scores of conspirators who are at attack at the gates. But, still...... quiet......

I noted Win 10 Youtubers seem to have more than one virus checker in their start group. Some may have 2 active, each behaving with each other they will assure you. One I noted on his screen behind him that he has an eSet in mem, BUT he recommends that we should also have Malwarebytes, and have it check the system often. He took a few minutes to describe Spybot, which was interesting since I used an antiquated version it almost 20 years back. All this insecurity of others has me sit up and pay attention. I ask myself, isn't eSet checking the firewall for nasty intruders?

Just wondering if I'm getting concerned for nothing and what your own thoughts are.

Thanks for your help.

Are you asking about why is eset not doing anything about microsoft and its spying?

I did mention in the past if it was possible to have a feature that could control and block Microsofts telemetry. Interestingly the people behind spybot has a program that can block different programs and companies telemetry including Microsoft. Eset did say this might be hard as it might cause legal issues although I'm unsure how spybot gets around this.

Also there is the problem that you could block the wrong thing and prevent stuff that should be on from working