SMC - SQL version on a DC

Current set up is that I our SMC Centre v 7.0.577.0 runs on our DC, has happily done so for some time.

The SQL Express version though is 2008R2 -  SMC is the only SQL 'application' on the server. 

The latest update though requires SQL 2014 upward. Therefore it wont update. 

In order to export the database data to another upgraded instance requires various installs - which I'm not happy to do, (as its a DC) and Eset now suggest that SMC shouldn't run on a DC. 

Is my only option a fresh estate wide re-install ?

unless anyone has any other suggestions. …..

• ESET Staff

Is there actually any problem to upgrade database and ESMC on the same machine? Could you please pin-point me to documentation or KB that mentions that ESMC 7.1 should not be installed on DC?

I found this out after discussing with Eset support, after the upgrade task - although it said successful, nothing changed. 

A resubmit was running for 23 hrs before I spoke to support who basically said … tough... 

https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/71/en-US/database_requirements.html

image.png.d2afd60e94ac7d8d1d31a86c1987b584.png

• ESET Staff

Installing on domain controller is not recommended as there might be conflicts during SQLExpress installation, resulting in deployment failure - this recommendation was present in all previous ESMCv7 and ERAv6 versions.

In your case you were clearly able to install ESMC in such environment, so I would not consider this recommendation as relevant = what is crucial is that you have to upgrade SQL database in order to upgrade ESMC. Any chance you tried to install SQLServer 2014+ on DC, side-by-side with existing database and with required settings (especially enabling TCP connectivity to such server)? Or maybe even better would be to upgrade existing database, if possible. Unfortunately this scenarios are not tested so I would be cautious, especially in case DB is used also for other services.

MartinK, - thanks for the suggestion. I haven't attempted to install 2014+ (yet). I'm also considering doing to totally fresh install on another server - appreciate this will mean losing the database etc and having to visit all the client PC to repoint the proxy setting. 

Guessing the upside is that the new DB would not be on a DC - and up to date - downside is having to visit PC's. ? 

unless theres any other possible solution?

• ESET Staff
8 hours ago, mhd99 said:

MartinK, - thanks for the suggestion. I haven't attempted to install 2014+ (yet). I'm also considering doing to totally fresh install on another server - appreciate this will mean losing the database etc and having to visit all the client PC to repoint the proxy setting. 

Guessing the upside is that the new DB would not be on a DC - and up to date - downside is having to visit PC's. ? 

unless theres any other possible solution?

In case you decide to deploy on different server, or more specifically on different database, you can migrate data from old DB to new. It is described also in ESMC documentation for migrations. If you will follow described steps, there will be no loss of data nor AGENTs connectivity (but this depends also on network configuration).

yes, - however it also requires various installs (Management Studio and other requirements) , on the DC in order to export / import the DB - which I'm not keen to do as that would be more complications to process. 

Given this then is it better to do the fresh install ?

Martin

• ESET Staff
10 hours ago, mhd99 said:

yes, - however it also requires various installs (Management Studio and other requirements) , on the DC in order to export / import the DB - which I'm not keen to do as that would be more complications to process. 

Given this then is it better to do the fresh install ?

Martin

Depends on you, whether DB migration effort will be not worth of migrating data and AGENT's connectivity.

My preference would be to migrate data, or at least to try to do that. For example Management studio might be installed on different machine as it can connect to DB via TCP.

sadly - after 3 days trying and having installed SSMS (2014) I don't know enough to get a  successful connection. I now have 12 days before licence renewal so time is running out. 

Look like this update is going to need to total re-install across the estate - unless other suggestions are available? 

Martin

Eventually, decided to ignore best advise and installed express 2014 on the DC. as well as SSMS 2018. 

Followed various guides and after about 4 hours the new db was updated. 

thanks for assistance. 

Martin