Good morning,

This is my first post on any community forum so forgive me.

I have a licence for ESET internet Security for W10 on a brand new LG laptop. The WIFI is perfect at home but at work or in the university library it will not connect to the WIFI for love nor money.

I am not a techy person - I am a regular Joe just trying to get on with his life.

Please help me as I am told by employer and Uni that ESET is blocking my access?

I want the security obviously but I need to be able to use my new laptop.

What settings do I need to access to allow me to use my laptop on networks were I need to sign in?

Please keep all responses simple and step by step.

Many thanks in advance,

Newbie to ESET

• Most Valued Members

Also if you go into eset network settings theres home and public network. I presume when going to work and uni the best option would be to change it to public 

I don’t know how to pause any part of the software. I’m afraid I installed it hoping it would just work (naive I know). The brand new laptop worked out of the box on both networks and stopped once I was advised to install some protection. Both networks require minimal log in details but are both public. 

Do I really turn off bits of the software to access the internet/Wi-Fi? Seems counter intuative to turn off the software I bought to protect me when online?

Thank you for your insights to date. More options please. 

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, jockfirth said:

Do I really turn off bits of the software to access the internet/Wi-Fi? Seems counter intuative to turn off the software I bought to protect me when online?

No normally eset shouldn't be disabled but by disabling it you can hopefully see if it fixes the problem. If you right click on the eset icon in the taskbar there will be an option to disable the firewall. Try disabling this and then accessing the internet to see if it fixes the issue. That way we then know it is the firewall module that is causing the issue 

• Most Valued Members

What happens when you try to connect to the WIFI of the University?

ESET shouldn't block you from connecting to Public WIFI , It might only tell you that this WIFI is not secure because it's Public.

5 hours ago, jockfirth said:

I have a licence for ESET internet Security for W10 on a brand new LG laptop. The WIFI is perfect at home but at work or in the university library it will not connect to the WIFI for love nor money.

The work Wi-Fi connection will most definitely require you to manually set up a Wi-Fi connection in Win 10. The same may also apply to the university library Wi-Fi connection. Have you done this?

Edited by itman

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, itman said:

The work Wi-Fi connection will most definitely require you to manually set up a Wi-Fi connection in Win 10. The same may also apply to the university library Wi-Fi connection. Have you done this?

Indeed some kind of a login or phone number for SMS

So I right clicked and paused the firewall and it made no difference. I still can not join public network. I would have no idea how to start setting up a Wi-Fi connection - I assumed these things were plug and play ( not the right term I know) protocols and go?

the university Wi-Fi takes me to a local web page to enter my name and email address. At that point it tells me it can not connect me. I am back at the Uni Wednesday evening so will try some strategies from the Mia support then and update. 

thank you all for your efforts - it is appreciated!

33 minutes ago, jockfirth said:

So I right clicked and paused the firewall and it made no difference. I still can not join public network. I would have no idea how to start setting up a Wi-Fi connection - I assumed these things were plug and play ( not the right term I know) protocols and go?

Refer to this article on use of Win 10 Wi-Fi option: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-connect-wi-fi-on-windows-10-3633729/

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, jockfirth said:

So I right clicked and paused the firewall and it made no difference.

Then it's very likely that even uninstalling ESET wouldn't resolve the issue.