Mac client pointed at Mirror server now unable to connect to ESMC

Having recently migrated from ERA to ESMC everything is working fine and successfully updating our multiple windows servers. However, some new Apple Macs have been introduced to our domain and have had the the Mac ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.8.400.0 successfully deployed to them and they used to show an up to date Last connected Time within ESMC.

These Macs are on the staff LAN that has a staff proxy, along with a couple of windows servers. So I add the proxy details into the generated windows File security Installers to enable them to communicate with the ESMC that is on a different internal LAN.  This worked fine for the couple of windows servers on the staff LAN but the Mac installer doesn't allow proxy details to be embedded within them. Therefore, I set the proxy details in the Policy that is assigned to the Macs but unfortunately they only show the Last Connected Time as the day they had their Mac ESET Endpoint Antivirus 6.8.400.0 deployed to them. 

It gets slightly more complicated as I also introduced a Mirror server and configured the Mac Policy and the Policy for the couple of windows servers on the staff LAN, to point at the mirror server to receive their updates, as I was under the false impression that all clients received their updates from the ESMC and not individually through the internet. Currently the couple of windows servers show up to Last Connected Time within ESMC, as they have the proxy settings necessary to see the ESMC on a separate LAN, plus their mirror proxy settings to allow them to successfully receive their updates from the mirror server which is great! 

However, the Macs also have their mirror proxy settings to allow them to successfully receive their updates from the mirror server which is working great but unfortunately they don't show an up to date Last Connected Time within the ESMC. Therefore my concern is that these Macs won't be able to alert any detected threats within the ESMC if they can not. Have I missed an important step in their configuration? 

Kind regards and won't be able to reply until Monday but appreciate any advice and hopefully I have explained this complex situation. 

ESET Security Management Center (Server), Version 7.1 (7.1.503.0)
ESET Security Management Center (Web Console), Version 7.1 (7.1.393.0)
Copyright (c) 1992-2019 ESET, spol. s r.o. All Rights Reserved.

End-user license agreement

CentOS (64-bit), Version 7.7.1908

NAME

VERSION

Update module 1074.1 (20190925)
Translation support module 1780 (20191217)
SysInspector module 1274 (20180918)
SSL module 1041B (20190913)
Push Notification Service module 1055 (20191107)
Configuration module 1822.1 (20191028)
Database info:
DB Name: era_db
DB Version: MySQL 5.6.40
DB Size: 163MB
DB Hostname: eset-manager.*******
DB User: era@localhost

Edited by OllyOrc

• ESET Staff

Hello,

What you have to do is to configure the proxy for both the agent, and the mac security product.

In case the macs are showing not correct "last connected time" it would mean that they are not able to connect to the server at all, which is the thing you should troubleshoot. To confirm this, please check the status.html of one of the mac agents. 

Also, what makes me confused is, that you mix topic of proxy and mirror. When you refer to mirror, do you mean actual offline generated mirror by mirror tool, or you utilize the proxy caching function. In this case, you just need to configure both agent / endpoint to communicate via proxy, and they should get the updates from there automatically. 

Please note, that in ESMC 7.1 you can configure proxy details for the agent live installer, and also choose a policy that will be applied to the machine. 

@Marcos can you please move this to "ERA" portion of the forum? 

Thanks Michalj, 

it was your advice detailing placing the proxy settings into the Mac Agent installer, that fixed my issue as the Mac client is now reporting to the ESMC

I take your valid point that there is no need for the mirror tool when also using a proxy that will cache the updates anyway. However, I'm currently testing the mirror tool server works along with its Apache web server to deliver the updates to the clients. Now it is working fine I can point the majority of our servers towards the working Mirror tool,  as they are on a separate network with no proxy. 

Many thanks