Internet security and Tonec Internet Download Manager

I am running Eset Internet security 4.2.71.2 and am currently having issues that supposedly are caused by Eset internet security, at least according to Tonec!!  What is happening is that my downloads get to around 90% and stop, and according to Tonec this is a recognised common problem caused by Eset.  Have any others here struck this problem and if so, is there any way around it.  They suggest I disable Eset when downloading, I don't think so!! on that suggestion.

Any assistance much appreciated. :)

Thanks people, so I am at a bit of a loss here, are you saying that I have probably got this function activated? I really don't know how to enable this feature, or for that matter what it refers to.  Is it something to do with Eset, IDM or just a setting on the computer?  Forgive my ignorance on this as it it new to me...

Edited by Exfso

Hello Exfso

My recommendation would be to add the program or application in question to the exclusions list and any IP's you are making a connection with to the Allowed rules list for the firewall.

Try switching to interactive mode of your firewall to see if there are any extra needed rules to be made.

You may also try adding the application to the exclusion list of protocol filtering as well if needed.

Let us know if you need assistance setting any of the above up.

Thanks People, I can confirm that it is not enabled.  Arakasi, I gather you are referring to adding Tonec Internet download manager to the exclusions listl.  Yep I need assistance if that is ok, much appreciated.

Hi again,

I have attached a few pics to show you the basics of where to go.

I hope the pictures speak for themselves.

When adding the exclusions for Antivirus and anti-spyware, i would exclude the whole folder, not just the program.

However, i am not to sure if i would exclude a download manager myself.

Just be cautious and use common sense when downloading.

Let us know if you need any more assistance.

post-1101-0-13822600-1396831278_thumb.jpg

post-1101-0-81508200-1396831283_thumb.jpg

post-1101-0-25900000-1396831398_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arakasi

• Administrators

I'd strongly recommend upgrading from v4 to the latest v7 downloadable from ESET's website which not only provides better protection against zero-day malware but also has lower footprint thanks to LiveGrid and Smart optimization.

Yeah, I was looking at that option, I used to have V5 I think it was and kept getting these damn messages saying that it Eset required attention, which I was not sure whether or not that issue had been fixed, so in the absence of any thing else when I got this computer, I elected to go back to V4 which I knew did not have this particular annoyance.  I hope that issue has been fixed??

Yeah, I was looking at that option, I used to have V5 I think it was and kept getting these damn messages saying that it Eset required attention, which I was not sure whether or not that issue had been fixed, so in the absence of any thing else when I got this computer, I elected to go back to V4 which I knew did not have this particular annoyance.  I hope that issue has been fixed??

Download and install 7, not 5, and if the issue persists, report back here and we will try to determine what you are talking about.

What was it requiring attention about ?

That is the point there was nothing wrong that needed attention.  I rang support, somewhere in Australia and the guy I spoke to said it was a known fault with V5 and it would be fixed in the next update, this was a couple of years ago now. The message was like a popup, it happened all the time when I had the computer up and running, totally annoying.  I gather people here would remember the problem if they had V5, the tech I spoke to said it was quite a problem with V5 and just to be patient or downgrade and re-install V4 which is what I did.

I see it occurring sometimes on the Endpoint version which is 5.

I suspect it is caused by having hidden windows updates, or similar, i have never been able to determine cause. However performance and useability remains the same.

About the "attention" popup, I had it with V5 as well, at least a couple of times.

But I have not had it with V7, and the only way to find out if it will happen on your system with V7 or not is simply to install V7 and use it. Then if it does happen report it here and we'll try to find the cause, but as I said it doesn't happen with V7 for me.

Thanks for the responses.  Just a query on V7 are there any reported problems with it, as I am a firm believer in the old adage, "if it aint broke, don't fix it", and V4 is working ok for me.  Having said that, the problem I am having with IDM is apparently attributed to Eset, so maybe the problem will disappear with an installation of V7.  Apparently, at least according to reviews it is a bit of a system hog, not sure what you guys think of it in this regard.  I suppose I can install it and if it all goes pear shaped, revert back to what I am using now.  Thoughts and suggestions welcomed..

• Administrators

Apparently, at least according to reviews it is a bit of a system hog, not sure what you guys think of it in this regard.

Not sure what reviews you're referring to but v7 should be the lightest version in terms of system footprint. Also the experience of many users here from using v7 in real life confirms that.

Apparently, at least according to reviews it is a bit of a system hog, not sure what you guys think of it in this regard.  I suppose I can install it and if it all goes pear shaped, revert back to what I am using now.  Thoughts and suggestions welcomed..

It really depends on how you or the reviewer define a system hog? 

Snappiness on the system i.e how it runs on the PC fast/slow light/heavy. Or resource usage by looking in the task manager comparing it to other (reviewed) products using 5mb of RAM. Or something else.

All I can say is I have V7 installed on a PC coming from WW2 and it runs V7 just as good as it did with V5.  :)

Edited by SweX

Well I have upgraded to V7.0.302.26 system so far looks fine, have not used IDM as yet, so that will be the big test, but so far so good.  Thanks for all the advice people, much appreciated. :)