Option to permanently disable Tags

Just upgraded to the latest ESMC. Is there any way to permanently disable Tags? They just take up space and every time I use a computer name filter, that view has the Tags pane. I don't ever want to see it, but now I am forced to close it every time I filter on a computer name.

• ESET Staff

Hello @Campbell IT

You can change the side panel layout to hide tags completely. However you can´t disable "tags" filter from the top pane, it´s present there permanently, without the possibility to be switched off. For what purpose you want to hide it? Don´t you ever plan to use tagging, or you want to maximize the filter panel space?

We won't use tags and it just clutters up the view. It's not just at the top, it is in the side panel where the groups are. It keeps coming back when I change views. I have to re-hide it every time. The other issue with the new look is that it doesn't remember that I want to left side panel to be collapsed. Every time I log back in, it is expanded again. This version has added more clicks to an already click-heavy application.

Is it possible that it is a browser issue? I am using Firefox 71.

• ESET Staff

Thank you for your feedback. We will work on addressing your concerns (filter bar, side panel) in the future releases, as our intentions are to streamline the UX, and eliminate unnecessary clicks.  Also, unfortunately it is not a browser related issue. 

Also, when you mention that ESMC is click-heavy, do you have any particular examples of click-heavy workflows? Or anything that you would consider as worth optimizing for the benefit of all users? 

Thanks, Michal. Off the top of my head, having to click on the computer name, then click Show Details seems to me to be too much clicking. If you are looking at the details of a lot of machines, it gets to be a lot of clicking. Since you now have the box next to the computer name (with the 3 stacked dots) that brings up the same menu choices as clicking on the computer name, how about making a click on the computer name just go directly into the details? Just a thought.

On 1/8/2020 at 2:17 AM, Campbell IT said:

Just upgraded to the latest ESMC. Is there any way to permanently disable Tags? They just take up space and every time I use a computer name filter, that view has the Tags pane. I don't ever want to see it, but now I am forced to close it every time I filter on a computer name.

I'd like to second that, tags too much valuable screen space.

<OT>Furthermore, column resizing is a bit troublesome, perhaps columns could be auto-resized in a future revision</OT>

• 1 month later...

Indeed, it is really annoying to re-hide a and browse trough the whole folder structure each time when I click on the "Computers" manu option. Click-click-click to roll down the structure, then check for example the state of the tasks then again click-click-click for reopen the right subfolder under the "Computers".

The previous version was more user friendly.