Anyone else's renew message going absolutely nuts?

CB4688

My eset license has expired and literally every few minutes I get the reminder notification popping up on my desktop. Not only is it absolutely incessant but it's corrupted. Sometimes the message is in script, sometimes it's proper, sometimes it's invisible with only a task bar icon. Several times I've clicked the 'Click here to unsubscribe' button and it has literally done nothing. This is absolutely ridiculous. What can I do about this?

• Administrators

Please provide a screen shot for clarification. It is not clear what ESET product you use and what you mean by that the message is in script. Moreover, I don't recall ever seeing "Click here to unsubscribe" in ESET's products.

Something is not right with those screen shots. The shot on the left shows the Eset desktop icon in normal status. The shot on the right is how the desktop icon should always appear when Eset's license has expired indicating an issue with Eset.

As far as I am aware of when Eset's license expires, it is in effect no longer protecting your system. That is real-time scanning and other protections are disabled. If you check in Windows Security Center, it should show that Windows Defender is now your active real-time scannner.

Just uninstall Eset if don't plan on doing a license renewal and this nag popup issue will be resolved.

Edited by itman

• Administrators

If your license has expired, you can either purchase a renewal or uninstall ESET. Non-updated product will turn off real-time protection and Windows Defender will be activated to ensure protection.

If you decide to continue using ESET, I'd recommend considering upgrade to ESET Internet Security which also provides protection from brute-force attacks (typically RDP which is infamously exploited by attackers encrypting files and subsequently extorting money) as well as protection from exploiting vulnerabilities in network protocols to stop malware from spreading on unpatched systems.