Eset NOD32 causes Chrome and Chromium to crash

Since early December 2019, Chrome and Chromium on Linux crash after a few minutes of use. This problem has been reported in various other forums and it seems that a number of users are experiencing this problem. There appears to be a problem in either Eset or Chrome/Chromium.

I'm running eset anti-virus software and have found that if I kill all eset processes then Chrome stops crashing. In other threads I've seen mention of simply disabling 'real time file protection' but that did not work for me. I've no idea if the problem is in Eset or Chrome (or Chromium, which also has the same problem) and I've found the problem in versions of chrome since 79.0.3945.88-1 and the previous version plus later versions 80.0.3987.16-1 and 81.0.4000.3-1.

Interestingly one of the symptoms is that you see the webpage flash several times as you move about the webpage and after a few minutes Chrome or Chromium crashes. Looking at the console output each flash corresponds with a crash being reported then sometimes prior to the crash an invalid opcode.

As to whether it's a bug in eset or chrome I've no idea at present but killing all running eset processes appears to have stopped Chrome crashing.

This is happening to two different systems, one runs Kubuntu Linux 18.04LTS and the other is KDE Neon (Based on Ubuntu 18.04LTS). The problem started after an update on or around 4th December 2019.

• Administrators

There's already an existing topic on this subject: https://forum.eset.com/topic/21896-chrome-79-always-starts-a-core-dump-and-crashes/

Please continue with discussion there. To prevent multiple topics on the same subject, we'll draw this one to a close.

• Marcos locked this topic