Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aryeh Goretsky

Best wishes for the holidays for 2019 and beyond!

Hello,

As 2019 comes to a close, and just before computers are turned off so that we can spend time with friends and family, I would like to take a moment to wish each and every one of you best wishes for the holiday season, and the forthcoming New Year as well.

image.png

This past year has been equally exciting, challenging and sometimes even terrifying in terms of computer security, and we know that you have many choices when it comes to whom you choose to protect your computers.  We are grateful that you have chosen to place your trust in ESET, and we will do our utmost to ensure that we continue to earn that trust into 2020 and beyond.

On a personal note, 2019 marks my thirtieth year in the field.  In 1989, I began my career by driving to John McAfee's house and answering the single phone line in-between taking classes at college.  Back then, there were perhaps a couple of dozen computer viruses for PCs running DOS, and about the same for Macs (running the classic Mac OS).  In the intervening three decades, we have seen the rise (and fall) of several computing platforms and entire ecosystems.  We've gone from the dream of having a computer in every home to having one in every room (and sometimes more than one).   Classic computer viruses (i.e., recursively self-replicating code that creates a possibly evolved copy of itself) have become almost extinct as a standalone threat, replaced by an alphabestiary of malicious software, some of which do incorporate viral-like techniques.  The one thing I can say, though, is that I never thought the problem of malicious code would get as bad as it has become today.  The flip side of this, though, is that I am constantly amazed at how good companies like ESET have gotten at combating those threats.  To be a part of ESET and see how the company does things at scale has definitely been a highlight of my career so far, and I hope to continue helping protect your computers for many years to come.

Wishing you all the best,

Aryeh Goretsky