Hi There,

I posted quite a while ago and the Auto Updates worked for a little while (2 days) then whenever I open the computer this is what I get:

Visrus signature database ended with an error.  That is shown in RED.

HOWEVER... when I go to update manually, it works just fine... It has been like this for the last month or so...

I have no problem doing it manually but it kind of bothers me that SOMETIMES it will Auto Update and other times it will not...

The prog. just shows the RED error.  I have tried clearing the Cache, I did the network thing, I did a reinstall from the disk and then I tried a reinstall from this site...Nothing works..

I am running Vista Ultimate on this Box, also have an iMac... but I love Windows and cannot figgure out why this is happening!

Thanks,,,
~Verne~

Hi Verne,

This is an issue with windows that seems to be showing itself at random times with users.

I do not recall if we ever came to a solution, however i can give you suggestions to try based on questions answered.

The problem: The network adapter hasnt fully initialized before ESET attempts collection, and or the computer has not received an IP or response from dns before ESET tries to update.

Does this happen when awakening from sleep mode ? Does it happen from a shutdown state ? Is hibernation involved ? Turn it off.

One thing you can try is turning off the option for the computer to shut down your adapter to save power in the properties > power management area.

You could also try running "Complete Internet Repair" a program that resets all your internet base services. Followed by a reinstallation of ESET.

Let us know if any of this helps.

I have made mine a little less regular by installing the latest WiFi drivers on my laptop. Network adaptor drivers on my desk top and unchecking "let windows save power by turning off" in device manager properties.

It now never happens on laptop and about 1 in 10 on the desktop.

Its a timing bug similar to the Eset requires attention" pop up that was also left to run through several versions.

• Administrators

Its a timing bug similar to the Eset requires attention" pop up that was also left to run through several versions.

This was not a timing bug. It was an undocumented error returned by a Windows API function which caused this. The issue was fixed by ignoring this particular error.

Most likely it takes several minutes to establish a wi-fi connection which causes the initial attempt for automatic update to fail.

• Most Valued Members

This error occurs on my system as well. In my case it's because I am not always online and the auto update naturally fails. I connect through Verizon cell modem and may be on and off line several times per day. Once I'm online the next scheduled update works fine.

Thanks fellows, I have tried all of the above except run a "Complete Internet Repair"

I don't want to go that route.  It appears it is a timing problem all right.  It only happens when I put the computer to "sleep"

I do not use Hibernate, it also appears to be OK when I do a complete shutdown then turn the box back on.

I have UNCHECKED "Let Windows save power etc" this does not help as well as clearing the cache.

I will just live with it and do the updates manually, no big deal, and just hope a new version of Eset will fix it!

Thanks,

~Verne~

Hi there,

I think I have finally fixed this problem on Windows Vista Ultimate...

I would love to tell you what I did but I will wait another day or so and see if I really did!

I will let you know...I did have Avast Security on here before but it got away TOO Bloated for me.

~Verne~

Hi Arakas,

Guess what I already tried a "delayed start" to ESET to no avail, of course it did not work!

Also I thought I had it solved yesterday but that did not work either.

As long as I can do the "manual update" it will have to stay the way it is...  Thanks fellows for your help!

~Verne~

I too had this problem. The little red triangle with exclamation mark would appear by the update section indicating an error had occurred. However the tray icon remained green, so unless I checked I would never had known.

This only happened if there was an update available, and from a cold boot. My system is Windows 8 and my system disk is a 125MB SSD.

Got a feeling this is something to do with the fast startup facility in windows 8 along with the speed of the SSD

I only installed the trial version, so I was pleased I hadnt paid.... 

Is anybody from ESET looking into this... I would have purchased but for this....

I recently purchased and installed ESS on three machines, two SSD's and one not, all Windows 8.1.  All three machines on cold boot get the same error showing in GUI but not taskbar icon.  All three machines get updated by the next scheduled update done by ESS and then the error disappears.  I did not see the error during the trial period for some reason, only after purchase.  Odd...

both my laptop and desktop are Windows 8.1 64 bit laptop wifi desktop wired they both do it 60 % of the time.

The desktop doesn't bother me.

Laptop is used about twice a week for less than an hour, so I think I'm correct in assuming it would never update on it's own..

Threads show this was evident and fixed in V6. But was present when V7 was in beta, thread is still on page one of the beta forum, I can't believe something as critical as a paid for anti virus with update issues has dragged on so long?

I agree 100% that this is quite serious if one never checks the GUI.

With the tray Icon remaining normal one would never know that you are not getting Virus Updates

unless you checked which should not be necessary especially when you paid for the protection.

The protection should be automatic without having to check the GUI several times a day to be sure you are protected!

~Verne~

• Most Valued Members

Eset is starting before the Internet connection is made, as it should be. I certainly don't want the connection made before my security application starts.

A simple solution, at least to me - programming it is another story, would to be to allow the update to occur when a online connection is detected. This would be similar to the "Update when a dial up connection" is identified. If I use my Verizon modem through the Verizon connection manager Eset considers it a dial up connection but not when used through my router.

Eset should be able to identify a Internet connection for update rather easily I would think.

On Edit:

I don't have a big issue with this as I expect it due to the way I connect to the Internet, but it's all the more reason to add "Check for Update" to the tray menu.

Edited by SCR

Hi Scr,

You are DEAD ON,

That is where the updates thingy should be...right on the Tray.. If we want to update the Virus Updates we should

have a choice...not the way it is now...nothing but RED, RED, and more RED...I am getting to hate this prog..

~Verne~

• Administrators

That is where the updates thingy should be...right on the Tray.. If we want to update the Virus Updates we should

There's a poll where visitors can vote for the options they'd like to have in the tray icon context menu: https://forum.eset.com/topic/1651-tray-menu-options-poll/

Wow Marcos 15 posts on this thread relating to failing initial virus updates on W8. Serious stuff... I'd say. And all you can do is refer your clients to a poll on tray icon options.

BrokenDobro is clearly unhappy about your product, if I was him I would ask for a refund after that crass reply...

I'm glad I didnt buy your product ... 

Steve with 2 posts total.

I sure am glad you made your 2 cents post here.

Really productive and helpful.

I made suggestions in post 2.

Marcos gave some valid info in post 4.

We work as a team here, not posting the same things over and over.

The original poster is using Windows Vista.

Anyone else in this thread is hi-jacking and creating confusion.

If stevehas has a win8 issue you should start a new thread.

I have seen the mentioned update issue on vista more times then stars i can count in the sky.

Its always been a random issue and hard to troubleshoot.

90% of the time its been a Windows Issue not something else.

After loading a fresh copy of windows vista the issue is always fixed.

However im not suggesting to the OP that unless he wants to play ball.

There are still things he could try to rid himself of this error if he wants to tackle it.

Windows 8 is a totally different ball game and its a fairly new OS.

Any bugs still coming around are being fixed by the app team as they arise and as people report them with willingness to resolve.

Thanks for stopping by Stevehas your input was so valuable.

Arak~

I tried on windows 7, it seems to fail occasionally on anything that boots fast. would have thought that was fairly fast to fix. It was reported in V6, it was reported in V7 beta.

I think any short tempers may be due to the fact this has been going on for "quite a while" and it doesn't even look like it's being acknowledged.

This forum is also a pain because it lets you write the entire post then tells you "you don't have permission" because you forgot you cleared your cookies last night!

• Administrators

I tried on windows 7, it seems to fail occasionally on anything that boots fast. would have thought that was fairly fast to fix. It was reported in V6, it was reported in V7 beta.

There is already a quite long delay before ekrn attempts to update after it starts but it seems that even a several minute delay is not enough in some cases.

This forum is also a pain because it lets you write the entire post then tells you "you don't have permission" because you forgot you cleared your cookies last night!

I was able to reproduce it and notified our forum administrator to look into it. Thank you for the heads-up.

Thanks Marcos, I have used Eset since v2.5 every variation, I personally have only seen this issue (3 pc's) in V7 for you information.

Personally, I have found that on XP failed updates i.e the software checks to early before the internet connection has been established.

It have never ever happened on cold boot. But it has happened between 2 and 5 times totally through the years after I start the PC from sleep, but only then.

In the cases the update goes well and does not fail, it's usually finished already by the time the monitor light up, that's how fast it goes, it's like the program pings the update servers the moment I push the power button to wake up the PC. 

Edited by SweX

Hi There,

I wonder why you are knocking VISTA ULTIMATE??  I have tried AVG, no problem.. I have tried KASKESPY,  a long time ago..

Also I had no problem with AVAST, FULL prog... It seem's to me that ESET is the only one that is having a problem that

I am using an older version, what about Win XP, most of the business i know are still using Win XP.... Very Scary.

Please get with it!

~Verne~

p.s. for some reason the program updated itself.....VERY VERY STRANGE!!!

Vista is the worst Win OS ever created. Even Microsoft said that a while afterwards that it was a bad release.  :lol:

Vista has an OS market share of just 2.99% while Win XP has 27.69%. And now XP is unsupported when it comes to hardcore patches, but Vista is not. If the OS usage % would be the other way around I would agree with MS decision to make XP unsupported at 2.99%, well once it goes under 10% or there about. It may be an old OS, but there are still to many users in the world to make it unsupported right now, all they had to do was to continue with the hardcore patches nothing else, no OS "improvements" or stuff like that just the critical patches, but MS clearly is tired of people using XP and want them to spend money on a new OS, even if they don't really need the new fancy OS for their daily computer usage. 

Vista works without issues for some people, while others (quite many) have had a terrible experience running Vista.

With that said, I am not really sure what you mean with "I wonder why you are knocking VISTA ULTIMATE??"  ?

Edited by SweX

• 9 months later...

Hi. My tablet pc has connected standby "future" and the problem when eset try to update and my tablet pc is in standby mode. Therefore the system don't allow eset to update and there is many error messages from eset after system is waked up, such us Server not found. How is it possible to change update settings for eset disable it on standby connected mode? Eset v. 8.0.304.0. Thanx

post-6274-0-41417300-1422116681_thumb.png