ESET NOD32 Google Chrome 79 crashes

andre.s

The strange thing about this is:

1. Some users in my company with the identical Ubuntu and ESET install (ESET is managed by ESMC), as well as the same version of Chromium/Chrome, are having this problem while others (like myself) don't have it.
  2. Users reporting this problem online in general are using Windows and Linux, as well as other Antivirus software than ESET.

So what's actually the cause of this? @Marcos could you explain how it is that ESET is "fixing" the problem and yet it's occurring with and without ESET, and on some Linux systems with ESET it's not happening at all, and on WIndows and Linux ... !?

It is definitely happening on Linux.

I have Manjaro XFCE installed, and after I install ESET NOD32 for Linux Desktop, Google Chrome starts to flicker, and close.

When I uninstall the antivirus, Chrome works normally.

There is a work-around. If you start Chrome without sandboxing, it works OK.

To do this, you run Chrome with --no-sandbox

But, it is not good to run Chrome without this protection in the long term.

I just noticed that this thread is about the business versions, not the home user one.

Perhaps others think that this is about the home user version too, and thus there is some confusion?

34 minutes ago, Ioannis Vranos said:

I just noticed that this thread is about the business versions, not the home user one.

Perhaps others think that this is about the home user version too, and thus there is some confusion?

Appears so.

Based on the retail version of Eset for Linux thread on this issue: https://forum.eset.com/topic/21896-chrome-79-always-starts-a-core-dump-and-crashes/, no fix for this problem is projected .

Edited by itman

This thread is about ESET NOD32. This product is listed under https://www.eset.com/au/home/antivirus-linux/download/

which is listed under the home products section of the ESET (Australian) website. It is not listed under the business section.

The vendor has already stated that a fix will be released for ESET NOD32 in version v4.0.95 of this product in the near future.

Thanks for the tip re running Chrome, ie Chrome with --no-sandbox .

3 hours ago, Ellis said:

This thread is about ESET NOD32.

Actually this thread is about the Endpoint ver. of NOD32 for Linux. Note that this thread is posted in the forum Endpoint section.

Eset offers two versions of NOD32 for Linux. The Endpoint ver. here: https://www.eset.com/us/business/endpoint-security/linux-antivirus/download/ which is currently release 7.0.13.0. The Home ver. here: https://www.eset.com/us/home/antivirus-linux/download/ which is currently release 4.0.93.0.

Bottom line - they are not the same product. This thread is mixing Home and Endpoint ver. postings together and that is the cause of the confusion. @Marcos, posted a reply last Tues. that this issue will be fixed in the Home ver. in release 4.0.95 but no ETA has been established yet for that release.

Edited by itman

It should also be noted that the system requirements for the Endpoint and Home versions of Linux are different. Notably, the Endpoint version only supports 64 bit versions of Linux. Per their respective on-line help:

Endpoint

System requirements

The following minimum hardware requirements must be met before the installation process in order to run ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux properly:

•processor Intel/AMD x64

•700MB of free hard disk space

The following operating systems of 64-bit architecture are officially supported and tested:

•Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 LTS 64-bit

•Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 64-bit with supported desktop environment installed.

Supported desktop environments:

•GNOME

•KDE

•XFCE

Remote management via ESET Security Management Center.

ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux is  compatible with ESET Security Management Center v7.1 and later.

Home

System requirements

For optimal performance of ESET NOD32 Antivirus, your system should meet the following hardware and software requirements:

Processor architecture    

32bit, 64bit AMD®, Intel®

System    

Debian and RedHat based distributions (Ubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora, Mandriva, RedHat etc.)

kernel 2.6.x and later

GNU C Library 2.3 or newer

GTK+ 2.6 or newer

LSB 3.1 compatibility recommended

Memory    

512 MB

Free disk space    

100 MB

NOTE: SeLinux and AppArmor are not supported. They have to be disabled prior to installing ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

Edited by itman

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Marcos and the Eset team. I have just downloaded V 4.0.95 of Eset Nod32 Antivirus for linux and installed it.

Chrome is no longer crashing out.

Again thanks to Eset for continuing to support Linux. I will certainly continue to support Eset.

Again Thanks, Ellis.

I confirm that the bug of ESET NOD32 for Linux Desktop (home edition), version 4.0, regarding Google Chrome flickering and closing, has been fixed.

Edited by Ioannis Vranos