ESET NOD32 Google Chrome 79 crashes

andre.s

The newest Google Chrome 79 crashes if ESET NOD32 is running. If I uninstall eset Google Chrome is working fine. If I install Google Chrome 78 and eset is running its also fine an no crashes.

OS is Debian 9 or 10

google-chrome-stable 79.0.3945.79-1

Here is what I see on terminal if Google Chrome crashes

../../sandbox/linux/seccomp-bpf-helpers/sigsys_handlers.cc:**CRASHING**:(tg)kill() failure
[2831:135:1217/143835.660701:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(124)] ContextResult::kTransientFailure: Failed to send GpuChannelMsg_CreateCommandBuffer.
[2854:151:1217/143837.090861:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(124)] ContextResult::kTransientFailure: Failed to send GpuChannelMsg_CreateCommandBuffer.
../../sandbox/linux/seccomp-bpf-helpers/sigsys_handlers.cc:**CRASHING**:(tg)kill() failure
[2854:151:1217/143849.147978:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(124)] ContextResult::kTransientFailure: Failed to send GpuChannelMsg_CreateCommandBuffer.
[4334:4334:1217/144249.309433:ERROR:gpu_channel_manager.cc(450)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: Failed to create shared context for virtualization.
[4521:4521:1217/144259.214596:ERROR:gpu_channel_manager.cc(450)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: Failed to create shared context for virtualization.
[4601:4601:1217/144310.006822:ERROR:gpu_channel_manager.cc(450)] ContextResult::kFatalFailure: Failed to create shared context for virtualization.
[2489:2509:1217/144319.131218:FATAL:gpu_data_manager_impl_private.cc(990)] The display compositor is frequently crashing. Goodbye.
Trace/Breakpoint ausgelöst

Any hint what I can try that the newest Google Chrome is working?

• Administrators

Although ESET should not interfere with browsers on Linux in any way, if you are positive that the issue go away after uninstalling EAV I'd recommend opening a support ticket with customer care and providing them also logs collected as per the KB https://support.eset.com/en/run-the-info-getcommand-on-a-linux-virtual-machine-and-send-the-logs-to-eset-technical-support.

I just started seeing the same issue with Chromium 79 (and I'm also running ESET).

I used to run Chromium with the  --use-gl=osmesa flag because otherwise it would crash for some reason (different from the crash discussed on this topic). I now simply stopped using --use-gl=osmesa and it doesn't crash any more. Seems Chromium fixed the original rendering bug I had.

Same here. 

Chrome 78 & Chromium 78 + ESET = No Problems

Chrome 79 & Chromium 78 + ESET = Chrome crashes (same terminal output as postet above), Chromium working

Chrome 79 & Chromium 79 + ESET = Crome & Chromium crash

Chrome 79 & Chromium 79  NO ESET = No Problems  

Same issue here!

NOD32 for linux is obviously crashing chromium as well google chrome.

I've just confirmed it, installing ESET software only after chromium.

The same test was made with google chrome.

By the way, Application Armor have to be configured to allow NOD32 works in peace.

For additional info,I would liek to share my expertience:

On two different computers with Ubuntu 16.04, Chrome and Chromium version 79.x crash, with or without Nod32. Also after uninstalling and reinstalling all products and rebooting in between.

On pone of these computers I have removed chrome and chromium, and installed the snap version of chromium version 79. This runs without issue, also when Nod32 ins running!

On Windows 10 (10.0.14393) With Eset Internet Security 13.0.24.0 I experience no problem with Chrome 79.x.

Hope this helps.

Hi any update on this topic ?

I'm facing the same issue...

I'd love to provide additional feedback if necessary.

Chrome Version 79.0.3945.88

ESET: 4.0.93.0

RE "The issue will be addressed in Endpoint v7 which is planned for Q1/2020. "

What does this mean for existing users like myself who are experiencing this problem.

I am using

Chrome Version 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 : 4.0.93.0 (2 year licence)

Linux Mint 19 / Mate

Will a fix be supplied or will Endpoint V7 be provided free to existing customers ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 8:01 PM, Ellis said:

Will a fix be supplied or will Endpoint V7 be provided free to existing customers ?

Or will we all be requesting refunds and the associated bad press that will produce ?

Really ? A bug fix in Q1/2020 and no bug fix planned for the ESET Linux Desktop Home edition ? Seriously ? 😠

I can confirm that running Chromium as a snap fixes the issue. Considering that Chromium has a long history of tripping over GPU related issues on Linux, and that the issue is new in Chromium 79, I'm loath to put the blame solely on ESET here.

Oh, and seeing that there seems to be no apparmor protection for Chromium, your system security is likely to increase by running Chromium as a snap anyway.

• ESET Staff

Hello, ESET licenses are not version-specific. Meaning any customer using currently V4 on linux, can use any other available version on any of the platforms. V4 is a very old code-base, meaning addressing compatibility issues with newer browsers will be targeted towards the next major release of the V7 Linux Endpoint. 

On 1/7/2020 at 3:04 PM, MichalJ said:

the next major release of the V7 Linux Endpoint

And what exactly does this mean if https://www.eset.com/int/business/endpoint-antivirus-linux/download/ still only offers to download V4?

Are you saying that you've just dropped the support for Linux Desktop product that you sold with multiple year licenses?

• ESET Staff

@Kirill Licenses for ESET products are not sold for a specific product version. Meaning, that with your current license you will be eligible to use the new V7 as well. Linux Endpoint product is the last one running the old version of architecture / scanning core, and it will be updated to V7 soon. We are already running a beta program (available here), V7 should not have this issue at all.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Can we get an update here.

I noticed from another post that the issue is being looked at but appears so far it cannot be fixed ?

Can you let us know if they are going to continue to try to resolve this ?

Thanks.

• Administrators

There is no update yet on this. While the crash issue was fixed, another severe issue with detection was found. Currently we are in the process of deciding how to carry on.

Thanks Marcos.

If you could lets us know what the final outcome is once a decision is made,  that is whether it can be fixed or not, that would be appreciated.

This will help me decide on whether I need to look for another solution elsewhere, though I would prefer to continue using and supporting  Eset.

Again Thanks.