Chrome 79 always starts a core dump and crashes

• Most Valued Members
6 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Still it only shows the v4 for me, but it's good to hear Marcos say that the update is coming for Linux desktop too.

v4.png

The current up-to-date version for desktop edition is the v4

Endpoint edition v7 is running as BETA currently , once it goes stable I believe they will start looking at building the v7 for desktop.

The fix that Marcos talked about would be probably a small fix (hotfix) that will solve the issue with browsers and that's it , not a major upgrade.

7 hours ago, Rami said:

The current up-to-date version for desktop edition is the v4

Endpoint edition v7 is running as BETA currently , once it goes stable I believe they will start looking at building the v7 for desktop.

The fix that Marcos talked about would be probably a small fix (hotfix) that will solve the issue with browsers and that's it , not a major upgrade.

What fix? I have to pkill eset in terminal everytime I boot just to use chrome based browsers. This is so annoying.

Despite contacting Eset officially they have so far not responded. I'm not impressed to say the least. On the plus side, I've noticed my laptop feels faster in terms of how fast programs start having deinstalled NOD32. I don't know whether anybody else has experienced this. It's a fairly subtle improvement in speed but a improvement non the less. But then I guess that's to be expected when Eset is not scanning every file that's opened.

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Steelskin said:

Despite contacting Eset officially they have so far not responded.

Please tell us when you contacted ESET UK and if you received a confirmation email with a ticket ID enclosed.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

Please tell us when you contacted ESET UK and if you received a confirmation email with a ticket ID enclosed.

Sometime in early December 2019. if I remember correctly, I made contact by using the interface in NOD32 for reporting problems. I've no idea where that's reported to, does it even work ?  I assumed it was to HQ in Slovakia. I've searched my emails back to 1st December 2019 and have nothing from Eset about a ticket number, just a lot of emails from people reporting the problem on this forum.

• Administrators

Each distributor provides technical support for local customers and contacts ESET HQ in cases when deeper investigation is needed. After contacting customer care, you should receive a confirmation email with a ticket ID. If you didn't receive any, check the spam or junk folder. You can also try contacting customer care via the web form that is available through the wizard https://www.eset.com/uk/customer-care-wizard/.

On 1/20/2020 at 2:06 PM, Marcos said:

There will be a fix for the issue in both Endpoint and ESET NOD32 for Linux desktop according to the latest news.

Oh, good news! Thank you for your help and effort. Looking forward to the fix.

Kind regards

M.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, rencounter said:

I am a big fan of ESET for long time and it recalls me Chromium issue.

They took a few years to fix the issue. Home Linux version is an abandoned child.

I believe after endpoint v7 for linux is done , development will start for the home edition if not already, as most likely they are the same products but for endpoints more features somehow.

I agree with you , sadly indeed it's almost abandoned , I believe it's due to the linux home edition share market , linux edition v4 is lacking behind much steps from the other systems products.

Edited by Rami

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Rami said:

I believe after endpoint v7 for linux is done , development will start for the home edition if not already, as most likely they are the same products but for endpoints more features somehow.

Not really, there will be a home version v4 with a fix for Chrome crashes.

• Most Valued Members
19 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Yes for this I know , you've said it in recent posts , I'm talking about major upgrades.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2020 at 8:26 AM, Marcos said:

When can we expect this hotfix?  I have been watching this thread for a few months awaiting the fix.  When will it be available?

Please, may we know when a new version is going to be released?

We haven't been able to use ESET for 2 months now. Our license will expire soon and I'm not going to recommend my boss to extend it until a fixed version is released.

One more user effected. When will it be fixed?

OpenSUSE 15.1

ESET NOD32 Antivirus4  4.0.93.0

Vivaldi 2.11.1811.33 (Stable channel) (64-bit)

User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/80.0.3987.88 Safari/537.36

Here's the log of the effect:

2/15/20 9:18 AM    kernel    VizCompositorTh[6515]: segfault at 962 ip 000056276c91b006 sp 00007f6b7daa7100 error 6 in vivaldi-bin[562768849000+71ff000]
2/15/20 9:18 AM    kernel    VizCompositorTh[6576]: segfault at 9a9 ip 000055cc5bf7b006 sp 00007f60b0bb4100 error 6 in vivaldi-bin[55cc57ea9000+71ff000]
2/15/20 9:18 AM    kernel    VizCompositorTh[6647]: segfault at 9f1 ip 000055b54d3dc006 sp 00007f4d3c77c100 error 6 in vivaldi-bin[55b54930a000+71ff000]
2/15/20 9:19 AM    kernel    VizCompositorTh[6656]: segfault at 9fa ip 0000557c7affe006 sp 00007f329a5a3100 error 6 in vivaldi-bin[557c76f2c000+71ff000]
2/15/20 9:19 AM    kernel    VizCompositorTh[6679]: segfault at a11 ip 0000561745d48006 sp 00007f8e27c63100 error 6 in vivaldi-bin[561741c76000+71ff000]
2/15/20 9:19 AM    kernel    VizCompositorTh[6689]: segfault at a1b ip 0000563d7ce80006 sp 00007f33c5aee100 error 6 in vivaldi-bin[563d78dae000+71ff000]
2/15/20 9:19 AM    kernel    traps: Chrome_IOThread[6482] trap int3 ip:5572a9bd0e1d sp:7f8669536760 error:0 in vivaldi-bin[5572a75f1000+71ff000]

• Most Valued Members
14 hours ago, Marcos said:

The issue is being looked into but so far it looks like the issue cannot be fixed unfortunately.

So affected devices should wait for the next product version?

Edited by Rami

So affected devices should wait for the next product version?

While their paid licenses with specific expiration dates keep ticking? I don't think there will be any "waiting" only judgement about ESETs responsibilities in regard to their paid products.

• Most Valued Members
23 minutes ago, Kirill said:

While their paid licenses with specific expiration dates keep ticking? I don't think there will be any "waiting" only judgement about ESETs responsibilities in regard to their paid products.

So I don't have this problem because I have AMD GPU and not nVidia?

Why isn't it crashing on my laptop :unsure:

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Totally agree, I will be requesting a pro-rata refund based on how long it's taking Eset to resolve this.

Currently my feeling is that Eset will not be receiving a renewal. This isn't open source software. We pay you good money for a product and you're not delivering a product that does what it's supposed to do. In fact open source is vastly better because at least users generally get feedback from the developers. Is there any 'official' comment from Eset about this problem and I'm not talking about any moderators comments in this forum. 

1 hour ago, Rami said:

So I don't have this problem because I have AMD GPU and not nVidia?

Why isn't it crashing on my laptop :unsure:

Rami, Rami, Rami,

You must have a magical laptop sprinkled with Pixie dust. If only I had a source of Pixie dust right now I would feel so much better.

• Most Valued Members
22 minutes ago, Steelskin said:

Rami, Rami, Rami,

You must have a magical laptop sprinkled with Pixie dust. If only I had a source of Pixie dust right now I would feel so much better.

:D:D

I'm usually not blessed with some spells and magic , I wish I was Gandalf :D

But the difference with me is Chromioum and AMD GPU , all else is normal..

14 minutes ago, Rami said:

:D:D

I'm usually not blessed with some spells and magic , I wish I was Gandalf :D

Life would be so much better if Gandalf would wave his wand (actually, I don't think Gandalf needed a wand, different story), .... Would wave his wand at Eset and fix NOD32. All would be right in the world. 😊

Edited by Steelskin

• Most Valued Members
4 minutes ago, Steelskin said:

Life would be so much better if Gandalf would wave his wand (actually, I don't think Gandalf needed a wand, different story), .... Would wave his wand at Eset and fix NOD32. All would be right in the world. 😊

9760207077426.jpg.076a2fd02f066e3ad3f27215ae5adc64.jpg

Poor Chrome