Chrome 79 always starts a core dump and crashes

2 hours ago, denixx said:

Could you please at last install Chrome v79+ from Google and stop being amazed?

Also, please follow up the Craig's post here: https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/17555930?hl=en&msgid=22484348

He says:

"Hello everyone,

We’re following up to let you know that we plan to enable the underlying feature (Renderer Code Integrity) that resulted in the previous incompatibilities with the release of Chrome M79 today."

Looks like it's an issue of Chrome from Google.

Not a Chromium one.

Also, I would take your attention to the fact that Chromium != Google Chrome.

check this, please

Thank you!

Whoever said it's not an issue with Chromium is wrong. It is an identical issue with Chrome & Chromium from the tests I've done. Just depends on what versions you are using.

2 hours ago, Rami said:

I still don't know what is different in my system that is not causing Chromium 79 to crash

Lucky for you. Do you have hardware acceleration enabled? 

On the other hand, in my case deb Google Chrome works ok.

• Most Valued Members
21 minutes ago, Steelskin said:

Whoever said it's not an issue with Chromium is wrong. It is an identical issue with Chrome & Chromium from the tests I've done. Just depends on what versions you are using.

Version 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)

Works fine here.

2 minutes ago, Miroslav N. said:

I still don't know what is different in my system that is not causing Chromium 79 to crash

It's not necessarily all versions of 79 that have a problem. Early versions of 79 may be fine.

What I would like to see is an official response from Eset acknowleging the problem and a resolution, rather than users having to desperately try to figure it out for themselves.

• Most Valued Members
10 minutes ago, Steelskin said:

It's not necessarily all versions of 79 that have a problem. Early versions of 79 may be fine.

What I would like to see is an official response from Eset acknowleging the problem and a resolution, rather than users having to desperately try to figure it out for themselves.

I hope we will receive an update for us linux desktop users , we are forsaken :lol:

12 minutes ago, Rami said:

Version 79.0.3945.79 (Official Build) Built on Ubuntu , running on Ubuntu 18.04 (64-bit)

Works fine here.

OK Rami, please give us a full description of your hardware, what desktop environment your using graphics card, drivers, whether you have hardware acceleration enabled.

Reporting:

"--disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity" is not working in Chrome @ Arch Linux.

But, "--no-sandbox" is working, BUT PEOPLE, DON'T USE IT, THIS IS A BAD PARAMETER! I removed NOD32 again and would check some news from Marcos.

• Most Valued Members

4 minutes ago, Steelskin said:

OK Rami, please give us a full description of your hardware, what desktop environment your using graphics card, drivers, whether you have hardware acceleration enabled.

It's enabled ,

Release 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver) 64-bit

Kernel Linux 5.0.0-37-generic x86_64

MATE 1.20.1

Intel® Core™ i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz × 8

AMD RX 550

Laptop

Edited by Rami

• Most Valued Members
1 minute ago, denixx said:

Reporting:

"--disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity" is not working in Chrome @ Arch Linux.

But, "--no-sandbox" is working, BUT PEOPLE, DON'T USE IT, THIS IS A BAD PARAMETER! I removed NOD32 again and would check some news from Marcos.

Yes indeed without a sandbox it could be hell.

• Most Valued Members
Just now, Steelskin said:

And maybe but only maybe that might be the reason. I'm using Nvidia GTX570M.

Force the browser to use Integrated Board graphics , I believe my Chromium is running on Intel's graphic and not AMD

47 minutes ago, Steelskin said:

My bad, I not checked that information.

I could see this statement somewhere briefly, that "Chromium is not affected", and made additional conclusion from what Craig posted in Google Chrome Community because they say "we are testing new feature".

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, denixx said:

My bad, I not checked that information.

I could see this statement somewhere briefly, that "Chromium is not affected", and made additional conclusion from what Craig posted in Google Chrome Community because they say "we are testing new feature".

They have the same engine under hood , Chromium , Chrome , and now the new Edge.

I have the same problem with Chromium on Ubuntu.

However Brave browser doesn't crash, although it is also based on webkit like Chrome/Chromium.

Edited by Matt123456

• Most Valued Members
20 minutes ago, denixx said:

I'm on Nvidia's GT 730

Could it be that the problem has connection with being having a nvidia card?

8 minutes ago, Rami said:

Could it be that the problem has connection with being having a nvidia card?

Strange thing, if I remove NOD32, all works flawlessly.

Currently I'm on Chrome-dev 81.0.4021.2

Edited by denixx

• Most Valued Members
11 minutes ago, denixx said:

Strange thing, if I remove NOD32, all works flawlessly.

Currently I'm on Chrome-dev 81.0.4021.2

ESET should bring a hotfix, but I don't know about that if they will or they will not.

In Manjaro 18.1.5 (kernel 5.4.12-1 and 4.19.96.1, XFCE 4.14.3), not only chromium 79 is affected but also firefox 72.
In chromium 79 it closes at approximately 10-15 seconds, unless we deactivate the sandbox.
In firefox 72 a process called IPC LAUNCH # 1 appears, which does not close when closing firefox, consuming a lot of RAM, because several of these processes are generated at the same time.

En Manjaro 18.1.5(kernel 5.4.12-1 y 4.19.96.1, XFCE 4.14.3),no solamente se ve afectado chromium 79 sino tambien firefox 72.
En chromium 79 se cierra aproximadamente a los 10-15 segundos, salvo que, desactivemos la sandbox.
En firefox 72 aparece un proceso llamado IPC LAUNCH #1, el cual no se cierra al cerrar firefox, consumiendo mucha RAM, porque se generan varios de estos procesos al mismo tiempo.

Hi,

am I wrong here or did Eset just said that there will be no update for V4 but only for Endpoint V7? And if so, then what is with the https://www.eset.com/int/business/endpoint-antivirus-linux/download/ page only offering to download V4?

Does it all mean that Eset had just basically dropped the support for Linux Desktop with a critical bug and multi-year paid licenses still active?

That would be very nice of them indeed.

4 hours ago, Kirill said:

Hi,

am I wrong here or did Eset just said that there will be no update for V4 but only for Endpoint V7? And if so, then what is with the https://www.eset.com/int/business/endpoint-antivirus-linux/download/ page only offering to download V4?

Does it all mean that Eset had just basically dropped the support for Linux Desktop with a critical bug and multi-year paid licenses still active?

https://www.eset.com/int/home/antivirus-linux/download/ :)

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, Kirill said:

Hi,

No support is not dropped , but development is slow I believe once the Endpoint v7 is ready , they will be ready to go ahead with the Desktop Edition , but that's all my imaginations , it could be all wrong.