Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Norm@Home

Security Camera / EIS says it's sending malicous content?

Recommended Posts

I've got 3/4 computers on my home network all with Eset Internet Security, less than a week ago I added a wireless security camera to my network; it's a single inexpensive unit I bought off of Amazon. When I attached it to my network and set it up I had no warnings of any kind from any of my existing computers. A friend of mine gave me a notebook computer which I upgraded the ram and put in a new hard drive and installed the latest Windows 10 from scratch, at the point I installed EIS it gave me a warning along with the IP address of the camera saying something like "malicious content being broadcast bla bla".

What I don't get is that my other computers are all running the same latest 13.0.24 of EIS and did not give me this warning while this new install on my friends notebook did. What could be the explanation? I've read that some cameras on Amazon were loaded with malware but that was from several years ago, how can I tell if there's really a problem and if there is then is there a way to fix it or do I just take it down and complain to the seller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Norm@Home said:

EIS it gave me a warning along with the IP address of the camera saying something like "malicious content being broadcast bla bla".

Post a screen shot of the Eset alert you are receiving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, itman said:

Post a screen shot of the Eset alert you are receiving.

It was a notification and it popped off before I could get a screen shot of it but the log information says:

Time;Module;Event;User
12/7/2019 12:47:31 PM;Firewall;Network event blocked
Duplicate IP addresses on networkA computer on the network is sending malicious traffic. This can be an attempt to attack your computer.

Change handling of this event;SYSTEM

While it doesn't say it in the log entry the notification did say the ip address was the address of the camera, what do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, New_Style_xd said:

Why didn't this update 13.0.24 come to me?

Hard to tell, try and do a manual search for a version update i.e. Update / Check For Update and see if it comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

I put to upgrade and does not work.

image.png.d97673d5da71a5b3465c1f5a9f1f2c3d.png

It's just a guess but some company's roll out updates by region and perhaps your region hasn't been cleared for the 13.0.24 update yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, New_Style_xd said:

 

Ok, I'll be waiting for update. will it take too long?

Hard to tell, but I'd guess a month tops probably less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Norm@Home said:

Time;Module;Event;User
12/7/2019 12:47:31 PM;Firewall;Network event blocked
Duplicate IP addresses on networkA computer on the network is sending malicious traffic. This can be an attempt to attack your computer.

Review this: https://support.eset.com/en/identical-ip-addresses-detected-in-network .

My best guess is the network adapter installed in this notebook is not assigning a unique IP address to the web camera for some reason.

I suspect this Eset alert is an IDS one. You might have to create an IDS exception in Eset for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 8:56 AM, itman said:

Review this: https://support.eset.com/en/identical-ip-addresses-detected-in-network .

My best guess is the network adapter installed in this notebook is not assigning a unique IP address to the web camera for some reason.

I suspect this Eset alert is an IDS one. You might have to create an IDS exception in Eset for this.

Re "My best guess is the network adapter installed in this notebook is not assigning a unique IP address to the web camera for some reason." first off this is not a web cam installed in the notebook but a standalone security camera and the notebook does not assign it an ip address, the DHCP server on my Windows Server 2016 does all DHCP assignments.

I looked at this a little and perhaps at the time I had it hooked up by Ethernet and wireless and they both took the same ip, I had to connect it by Ethernet in order to program the wireless so that may explain the duplicate ip address warning. So my question still is was this warning message due solely to the fact that the Ethernet & wireless adapters were using the same ip address or in addition to the dup ip address was there malicious traffic and if so what tool do I use to determine if this security camera is in some manner infected with malware or a virus? I'm attaching a picture of the camera, if you want a link to the Amazon product page let me know.

 

SecurityCam.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Norm@Home said:

So my question still is was this warning message due solely to the fact that the Ethernet & wireless adapters were using the same ip address or in addition to the dup ip address was there malicious traffic and if so what tool do I use to determine if this security camera is in some manner infected with malware or a virus?

This thread is somewhat related to the issue you are having: https://forum.eset.com/topic/19424-duplicate-ip-addresses-on-network-cause-by-vpn-and-rdp/

I doubt the camera has malware since 3/4 of your network PC's are not detecting anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...