XP antivirus recommendations

any?

fyi: i have the latest eset version running on my 7 professional.

but, i'm also running a standalone with a fully updated version of windows xp 'connecting' only every so often to update 'updateables'.

i decided to use this old dell [running xp] only as a photo studio [and music player], so i did a complete reinstall followed by a windows update up the wazoo, installed drivers etc via SlimDrivers free ver 2.2 together with 'other' updates and installations/uninstallations as required, checking 'security holes' using 'secunia psi' and on advice, i've installed in place of ie8, google chrome [xp support 'til 4/16 i believe] and mozilla firefox [no ' fixed final support date' as yet].

i've read there are issues too with java, adobe reader and flashplayer,

can anyone recommend a solid antivirus application [free please] that i can run on my xp machine?

thanks for any advice anyone has to offer.

Edited by BellaBoo

• Most Valued Members

I can't recommend a free AV but I am running Eset Smart Security on my old XP and Windows 7 machines.

The XP  system has 1 GB of RAM and a 1.7 MHz processor. I tried all  the free AV's on it and it just brought the system to a halt. Eset SS runs just fine with little impact on the operations. A full scan takes a while but that is to be expected on a 12 year old system with low, very low, specs.

My wife uses the XP for email and some Internet browsing.  I'm trying to talk her in to getting a new computer but I'm not having much luck. She just doesn't like change, some of us old folks are like that. So I removed it from the LAN and keep a backup handy just in case.

I can't recommend a free AV but I am running Eset Smart Security on my old XP and Windows 7 machines.

The XP  system has 1 GB of RAM and a 1.7 MHz  ghz processor. I tried all  the free AV's on it and it just brought the system to a halt. Eset SS runs just fine with little impact on the operations. A full scan takes a while but that is to be expected on a 12 year old system with low, very low, specs.

Very nice. B)  I couldn't help myself but to change the mhz part.  ;)

@Bella

If you only connect that XP PC online just every now and then, then it's probably best to pick a free AV that doesn't rely heavily on the cloud like some free AV's do today. Do you plan on using the AV in real-time or only for doing on-demand scans?

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

The XP  system has 1 GB of RAM and a 1.7 MHz  ghz processor. I tried all  the free AV's on it and it just brought the system to a halt. Eset SS runs just fine with little impact on the operations. A full scan takes a while but that is to be expected on a 12 year old system with low, very low, specs.

@Bella

If you only connect that XP PC online just every now and then, then it's probably best to pick a free AV that doesn't rely heavily on the cloud like some free AV's do today. Do you plan on using the AV in real-time or only for doing on-demand scans?

OOPs! :o Duh! ..  Thanks

@Bella

No biggie, and sorry for being picky. But it would sure be fantastic if one could use XP on a 1.7 mhz cpu. I used Win98 on a PC powered by a 300mhz cpu. Maybe I should start using it again it's around here somewhere, last I heard there is less attacks against Win98 than it is against XP.  :P

Edited by SweX

• Most Valued Members

@Bella

No biggie, and sorry for being picky. But it would sure be fantastic if one could use XP on a 1.7 mhz cpu. I used Win98 on a PC powered by a 300mhz cpu. Maybe I should start using it again it's around here somewhere, last I heard there is less attacks against Win98 than it is against XP.  :P

Just maybe because I spoke about my old XP I had a flash back to my first DOS 8086 computer with it's 40 MB HDD It ran at the blazing speed of 4.77 mhz < no error in the spec here. It was the first x86 processor. Sure had a lot of fun with it.

Take a little trip down memory lane when you have the time: hxxp://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-history,1986.html

As to "being picky" please feel free to save me from looking like an idiot anytime you wish to.

Just maybe because I spoke about my old XP I had a flash back to my first DOS 8086 computer with it's 40 MB HDD It ran at the blazing speed of 4.77 mhz < no error in the spec here. It was the first x86 processor. Sure had a lot of fun with it.

Take a little trip down memory lane when you have the time: hxxp://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-history,1986.html

As to "being picky" please feel free to save me from looking like an idiot anytime you wish to.

Yeah it was good times I bet. Thanks for the link good read!

Ok I will save you, and I request you to do the same for me when needed  ;)

Cheers.

Edited by SweX

thank you both for your replies.

The XP  system has 1 GB of RAM and a 1.7 MHz processor. I tried all  the free AV's on it and it just brought the system to a halt. Eset SS runs just fine with little impact on the operations. A full scan takes a while but that is to be expected on a 12 year old system with low, very low, specs.

My wife uses the XP for email and some Internet browsing.  I'm trying to talk her in to getting a new computer but I'm not having much luck. She just doesn't like change, some of us old folks are like that. So I removed it from the LAN and keep a backup handy just in case.

SCR, my xp won't be connected to the 'net for any purpose except perhaps monthly when I'd expect to go online merely to check for program updates.  my win7 is connected and protected using ess and i agree that ess is the best but i only have one license.

thanks for your input tho :)

hi swex, yes, only once a month maybe so i won't need anything special; I'm looking at zone alarm [free antivirus + firewall].  likely what i'll do is when i connect, i'll update the signature database, check for other updates and do an on-demand scan once I've disconnected.

I'd be pleased to have your opinion on zone alarm.  any if anyone else has any comments, please let me know.

thanks again :)

ps: why can i not add a link or even paste anything in a post [whether using mouse and or control functions] !??!  i must say i am most glad for the auto saved content facility!

just testing if i can add a link [because i replied using multiquote and that may be a factor]:

ok.  so the link facility isn't working for me; i get the dialog box, i can paste the link, but it won't let me 'ok', 'cancel' and not even clicking the 'x' helped.  i had to click the back button, clicked the forward button, refreshed and as i said, i am thankful for the auto saved content --- and --- restore content facility.

is there something in my settings that i need to tick?

happy for any assistance.  thanks :)

hi swex, yes, only once a month maybe so i won't need anything special; I'm looking at zone alarm [free antivirus + firewall].  likely what i'll do is when i connect, i'll update the signature database, check for other updates and do an on-demand scan once I've disconnected.

I'd be pleased to have your opinion on zone alarm.  any if anyone else has any comments, please let me know.

thanks again :)

ps: why can i not add a link or even paste anything in a post [whether using mouse and or control functions] !??!  i must say i am most glad for the auto saved content facility!

I know that Zonealarm wouldn't run well on my PC having 512MB of RAM. So I haven't even tried it out. Some say it's light, others say the opposite. Of course the best is for you to install it on your own PC to see how it behaves on your hardware. It still uses the Kaspersky AV engine afaik.

But I would find a deal for ESS or NOD32 as you are familiar with the products already and know how they perform on the system.

thanks swex for your input. I upgraded my xp pc ram installing to its capacity of 1gig [from its original 256meg] and it's for that reason that I'm running my xp as a stand alone without net connectivity.

I love love love the idea of running eset on my xp machine paying just that little bit extra for an additional license but I'm grappling with a cost outlay [altho minimal and so very reasonable] against a product that's free just so I can connect every month or so and for just a very short time.

you see, even tho a second eset license costs $10 and as reasonable and as incredible as that sounds, I won't need it daily or even weekly, more likely monthly or perhaps even longer for example 2 months so it won't be a set timeframe.

I'm still um'ing and ah'ing so it's no big decision just yet but I do want to 'try' zone alarm in the meantime because it is free and if it fits my bill, then job done --- if not, then I get myself an additional eset license and if that's how it pans out, then I have you and SCR [and eset] to thank :)

i'll let you know :)