Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free 2.00.1000

chrlshlmn

Edit: Malwarebytes has changed the color scheme to introduce less exageration on "un-protected" status.

Hello,

I have a premium account, however i feel bad for the users that are using the free version because it gives big red X's on the Real time and License sections. ( Sales tactic )

I think the Red X's are over-exaggerated.

Also more sales additions with the Secure Backup. ( Its not an advertising pop-up or bundled addition, its a permanent group of objects in the bottom left that will never go away. )

It may say something different when you have Mbam backup installed, i would have to check at home to verify as i use Mbam backup at home, and Malwarebytes malware protection.

I do like the new web exclusion section, being able to add ips and domains now.

:)

Edited by Arakasi

Hello,

I have a premium account, however i feel bad for the users that are using the free version because it gives big red X's on the Real time and License sections. ( Sales tactic )

I think the Red X's are over-exaggerated.

:)

Yes indeed. :) FWIW, Marcin said this a couple days ago and that they are working on the color scheme and it will be a bit different in future builds.....

Without committing to these (because my team will kill me if I do!) here's what we're thinking about releasing in about a week and a few days.  

1. change all the aggressive red colors to a calmer red, change all the aggressive orange colors to a calmer orange  

2. switch more notifications from red to orange leaving only protection off and malware detections as red, database notifications should be orange  

3. on first launch ever after install, you shouldn't be getting a database out of date notification, that will scare most users, we'll fix this  

4. if the UI is in focus, you shouldn't be getting additional tray notifications, only if the UI isn't open, we'll fix this  

5. change notification size to be a bit smaller by reducing the color portion of it for now

I know this doesn't seem a lot, but it's a first pass at all of the feedback. We think it will come off a bit less rogue-ish and buy us time to get back to improving stability and various other UI components.  

I guess this thread could be moved to General where we have another MBAM 2.0 thread, maybe merged them ?  :unsure:

Edited by SweX

Yes I agree the free version has the big red x and other that's not functional in the free version.I might just try the trial version and see if I'm comfortable with it.If so I will purchase.Will real-time be compatible with ESET?Thanks for all the feedback. :) 

Yes I agree the free version has the big red x and other that's not functional in the free version.I might just try the trial version and see if I'm comfortable with it.If so I will purchase.Will real-time be compatible with ESET?Thanks for all the feedback. :)

They should work fine together last I heard, Arakasi uses MBAM in real-time so he knows more how they get along, or not. In anycase it's always a good idea to put exclusions for ESET in MBAM and vice versa. :)

They should work fine together last I heard, Arakasi uses MBAM in real-time so he knows more how they get along, or not. In anycase it's always a good idea to put exclusions for ESET in MBAM and vice versa. :)

They get along just fine together on my machine :) , however it also makes a difference what people are doing day to day on computers.

What i use mine for:

I play full screen games, use steam, uplay, blizzard games/battle.net , run emulators, browsing with ie and waterfox, i have adobe creative suite 6, office 2010 products for business, use remote access programs for work,

develop programs with .net studio 2010 & 2013, the whole nine yards, i dont do any cad work or have my system on a domain at home, no strange hardware attached, and much more i dont use that is floating around so you are taking a chance.

(windows 7 x64bit home)

• 2 months later...

Yes I do admit, eset and malwarebytes premium play alongside good together.Thanks to all for the  answers,support and reviews.I just had to purchase the license.Thanks to everyone feedback good or bad.

Edited by chrlshlmn

Good buy chris ! :)

Don't forget to add exclusions for each real time scanning to minimize lock ups or driver crashes.

I think i have had 1 blue screen in 2-3 years caused by pairing the two software. A restart and everything resumed.

The biggest advantage i have seen comes from pairing both web protections. On occasion Mbam will block a malicious site that ESET may not have in the db.

However i must proclaim that ESET always catches live threats before malwarebytes, sometimes mbam will repair a few extra registry objects or temp files and remnants.

Edited by Arakasi

Yes,Arakasi thanks to you .Yes indeed, a great buy.Exclusions set on both programs. One issue I do have is after a scan,it won't change to the next scheduled scan.?Thanks, :)

Edited by chrlshlmn

Yes,Arakasi thanks to you .Yes indeed, a great buy.Exclusions set on both programs. One issue I do have is after a scan,it won't change to the next scheduled scan.? Thanks, :)

Hello Chris, I assume you have that schedule issue in Malwarebytes and not ESS, right?  :)

Cheers!

Yes,Malwarebytes support says its an issue that would be fixed in the next version. :)Right.

Edited by chrlshlmn

Thank you SweX.One question,on the exclusions of malwarebytes and eset,do I exclude just malwarebytes,or the subfolders also?I'm hoping I'm asking the right question.Trying make sure I have it configured correctly. Thank you.If so what files.?Thanks

Edited by chrlshlmn

Hello,

In ESET's real-time exclusions. Add the following:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

For 64bit Operating systems the directory path for installation is C:\Program Files (x86)

In Malwarebytes exclusions. Add the following:

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\x86\ekrn.exe

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe

Unsure if 32bit is the same for ESET's directories, but exclude ekrn.exe wherever it's located.

That should be good enough to get you going for now.

Keep in mind, excluding entire directories should be avoided whenever possible because its a higher security risk.

Malware can hide in any folder it wants if its excluded. :)

Thank you Arakasi,your response and answer was very helpful and formative.I will make sure I have everything configured properly. :)

• Most Valued Members

Starting with v2.x Malwarebytes no longer uses mbamgui.exe nor is the (') used in the directory name "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" is now "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware"  in Win 7 x64 "C:\Program Files(86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware"

This is the latest exclusion list from the Malwarebytes forum:

With the new version of Malwarebytes v2.x there is no longer a file called mbamgui.exe....

These are the files that would need to be excluded if needed...

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe
For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 & 8:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe
Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Source: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/150947-missing-mbam/

Post #2 by Firefox

@Arakasi

Keep in mind, excluding entire directories should be avoided whenever possible because its a higher security risk.

Malware can hide in any folder it wants if its excluded.

Thanks for this advice, I had the entire directory excluded never giving a thought to the possibility of the higher risk :wacko:

In looking for mbamgui.exe I found the above post at Malwarebytes.

This made me go back at look at all my settings just to be sure I didn't make the same mistake in either program unfortunatly I did but all is corrected.... Again, thanks

Edited by SCR

I totally forgot about the new version. Im still using 1.75. Thanks for clearing that up for chris and I.

Yes, Same here  ;)

@SCR, thanks for that quote from the MBAM forum very useful i'm sure it'll come handy more times on here in the future as well.  :)

• Most Valued Members

One more question.Do you exclude all the ekrn files in malwarebytes,? Thank you. :huh:

You do not have to exclude all the ekrn files, just those noted in Arakasi's post #14

In Malwarebytes exclusions. Add the following:

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\x86\ekrn.exe

C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\egui.exe

Unsure if 32bit is the same for ESET's directories, but exclude ekrn.exe wherever it's located.

That's all I have excluded and my Win 7 x64 is running smooth.

Thanks to all who supported me with the configuration of eset and malwarebytes exclusions.In no particular order,Thanks to Arakasi,SweX, and SCR.I'm happy to say both seems to working together very well.If any issues shall arise,I will come here for some very supportive answers and solutions.Thanks a bunch to each of you. :)

Thanks to all who supported me with the configuration of eset and malwarebytes exclusions.In no particular order,Thanks to Arakasi,SweX, and SCR.I'm happy to say both seems to working together very well.If any issues shall arise,I will come here for some very supportive answers and solutions.Thanks a bunch to each of you. :)

You're most welcome friend.

• 3 weeks later...