Endpoint 6.5 keep old style password after upgrade

tbsky

Hi:

I try to upgrade several endpoint 6.5 to 7.2. the old policies are left in upgrade installation, which I need to reset it. but there is one strange setting: password protection. I have setup new 7.x style password policy. but every time endpoint start-up, it will show information about "password setup changed". it seems never forget  6.x style password inside.

if I uninstall 6.5  and install 7.2 then everything will be fine. but that's seems stupid. is there method  resetting everything to 7.2 default when upgrade?

Edited by tbsky

• Most Valued Members
11 minutes ago, tbsky said:

Hi:

I try to upgrade several endpoint 6.5 to 7.2. the old policies are left in upgrade installation, which I need to reset it. but there is one strange setting: password protection. I have setup new 7.x style password policy. but every time endpoint start-up, it will show information about "password setup changed". it seems never forget  6.x style password inside.

if I uninstall 6.5  and install 7.2 then everything will be fine. but that's seems stupid. is there method  resetting everything to 7.2 default when upgrade?

It's not possible to remove the password through a policy change and then apply password for 7 ?

21 hours ago, Rami said:

It's not possible to remove the password through a policy change and then apply password for 7 ?

howto do that? I didn't set password 6.x style policy. I only set password 7.x style policy. and client shows about now password settings get improvement every time.

in fact, I want to reset all settings to 7.2 default without uninstall. is that possible?

• Most Valued Members
18 minutes ago, tbsky said:

howto do that? I didn't set password 6.x style policy. I only set password 7.x style policy. and client shows about now password settings get improvement every time.

in fact, I want to reset all settings to 7.2 default without uninstall. is that possible?

I believe you can make a default policy from the ESMC and apply it to all computers , but I don't know if that fixes your password problem , I believe I will leave that to someone from ESET Staff Team that works with Endpoints.

34 minutes ago, Rami said:

I believe you can make a default policy from the ESMC and apply it to all computers , but I don't know if that fixes your password problem , I believe I will leave that to someone from ESET Staff Team that works with Endpoints.

according to Endpoint 7.2 document, there should be a different way for policy. although I don't know what it is yet. still waitng for someone answering the forum question.

• Most Valued Members
2 minutes ago, tbsky said:

according to Endpoint 7.2 document, there should be a different way for policy. although I don't know what it is yet. still waitng for someone answering the forum question.

They probably should come with a reply , sometimes they answer a little bit late , but an answer will come for sure , if you need an urgent answer , you can contact your local ESET support , they can assist you.

2 minutes ago, Rami said:

They probably should come with a reply , sometimes they answer a little bit late , but an answer will come for sure , if you need an urgent answer , you can contact your local ESET support , they can assist you.

unfortunately our local ESET support can only answer general questions. when I already RTFM , I can only ask for support in the forum.

• Most Valued Members
3 minutes ago, tbsky said:

unfortunately our local ESET support can only answer general questions. when I already RTFM , I can only ask for support in the forum.

Ok I will tag @Marcos and @MartinK , one of them should be able to help you.

• ESET Staff

Could you please provide screenshot of password related configuration parameters in policy? Not sure what could be wrong, but reverting to defaults might be little tricky.

Also be aware that once policy no longer applies specific setting, it is reverted to previous values, but this  mechanisms was introduced in 7+ versions of endpoint, so it might not work as expected in case settings were changed before upgrade to 7, i.e. in case policy was applied during 6.5 installation, even 7+ version won't be able to revert into state before original policy was applied.

Maybe configuration like this:

image.png

will helps, where "apply" indicator even next to disabled legacy setting is crucial. Unfortunately I had no chance to test it: also be aware this policy won;t make sense only for 7+ endpoints.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:43 AM, MartinK said:

Could you please provide screenshot of password related configuration parameters in policy? Not sure what could be wrong, but reverting to defaults might be little tricky.

Also be aware that once policy no longer applies specific setting, it is reverted to previous values, but this  mechanisms was introduced in 7+ versions of endpoint, so it might not work as expected in case settings were changed before upgrade to 7, i.e. in case policy was applied during 6.5 installation, even 7+ version won't be able to revert into state before original policy was applied.

Maybe configuration like this:

image.png

will helps, where "apply" indicator even next to disabled legacy setting is crucial. Unfortunately I had no chance to test it: also be aware this policy won;t make sense only for 7+ endpoints.

maybe set both 6.x and 7.x password would help, I haven't try. but I will upgrade all client to 7.x, so the policy would be strange at that time. and if someone remove the strange 6.x policy one day, the same behavior may come back.

your information is valuable: "it might not work as expected in case settings were changed before upgrade to 7".

so to prevent all these strange policy problem, I think I should uninstall all the 6.x before upgrade. I need to study how to do it.

but may I ask again last time:

is there any method to reset default policy for endpoint 7.2 without uninstall ?