ESET NOD32 Antivirus V.7 Brings Windows XP To It's Knees

Geminate

I was very happy with versions 4-6 of ESET NOD32 Antivirus.  Then I stupidly updated my desktop computer to ESET NOD32 Antivirus V.7.  Immediately I took a major performance hit, losing 50% or more of my computer's speed.  Not satisfied in screwing that computer up, I gave  ESET NOD32 Antivirus V.7 a chance on my laptop.  When I say crawl, I mean crawl... I had to remove ESET NOD32 Antivirus V.7 and reinstall ESET NOD32 Antivirus V.6 - now everything is fine and back to normal.  I wonder how long ESET is going to support ESET NOD32 Antivirus V.6, since ESET NOD32 Antivirus V.7 is unusable in Windows XP?  Sad that NOD32 Antivirus V.7 doesn't get along with Windows XP.  I guess I have to find a new AV that won't kill system performance.

Hello Geminate,

We have plenty of users that do not experience problems with XP and version 7

One being my friend Swex on here. He has xp sp 3 and 512mb of ram and version 7 works flawlessly.

I would send him a PM or wait for him to respond here.

Going forward, if you would like to determine the cause of your performance issues with version 7 and XP, i would perform a full clean uninstall of version 6, install version 7 again;

Then post back here so we can collect logs (specifically a Sysinspector and so forth), and determine which module exactly is causing your performance issue.

I recommend try disabling real-time protection first (alone), and see if it makes a difference.

If not, try disabling HIPS followed by a restart and determine if performance is back to normal.

We need to isolate where the issue lies, so that we may better assist you.

I hope you will work with us to determine cause, as there is no issue between version 7 and XP that we know of in existence right now.

Regards~

• Administrators

There must be something wrong with your system configuration as nobody else have experienced and reported such issue. In terms of protection, v7 is much better compared to v6 thanks to Advanced memory scanner. Please try to narrow it down to a particular protection module by disabling each module, one at a time. If nothing helps, try renaming C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamon.sys and ehrdrv.sys in safe mode, one at a time. Subsequently we will be able to troubleshoot the issue further and I believe we'll eventually find a solution.

• ESET Staff

Hi Geminate,

Are you currently using a fully updated version of Windows XP with service pack 3 installed? We recommend that for the best experience with Version 7.

Hi Geminate,

Are you currently using a fully updated version of Windows XP with service pack 3 installed? We recommend that for the best experience with Version 7.

Yes, but all of my computers are Pentium 4's.  I am using Windows XP Pro 32-bit fully updated.  I figure my hardware cannot handle the new version 7 of NOD32.

• Administrators

Yes, but all of my computers are Pentium 4's.  I am using Windows XP Pro 32-bit fully updated.  I figure my hardware cannot handle the new version 7 of NOD32.

Swex is running v7 on a computer with 512 MB of RAM and I have it installed on a VM with 380 MB of RAM without any effect on the performance. There must me something else than hw configuration which causes the issue.

Please try to narrow it down as per the instructions in my previous post.

What model pentium 4's ?

Are they multi core ? Do they have hyperthreading at all ?

Celeron's and Pentium D's are considered Pentium 4 model, some of the later Pent 4's from 2003-2005 have hypertheading.

The D is a dual core.

Like Marcos and Arakasi have said, I have no performance issues or slow downs at all because of ESET.

Could you give some examples when you get the performance hit with V7, unless it is constantly slow all the time.

Slow when opening/closing programs.

When Browsing?

Have you done a full system scan after installing V7?

Are you using V7 on default settings?

If you look in the Taskmanager how is ekrn.exe behaving, RAM usage should be between 80-110 MB.

And among the other processes is there any process sticking out with a high RAM or CPU usage?

Are you using a 3'rd party firewall along NOD32, if so wich one?

Are you running any other security program in real-time along NOD32?

HTH :)