Install in windows 7 ultimate 64bit

• Administrators

V13 requires Windows 7 SP1 and Windows updates updates KB4490628 and KB4474419 to be installed. Please make sure that they are installed.

You could install v12 and then upgrade to 13  it runs fine without  the latest broken ms patches , in fact i haven't patched my Win7  since Dec 17 security only update, .net has been patched upto date  as has office

• Administrators

We do not recommend using v10 and newer without SHA-2 support in OS. The SHA-1 signing certificate already expired in July this year and the update module has been in a frozen state since. On January 27, 2020 the prolonged support for SHA-1 will end and products on systems without SHA-2 support will stop to update.

• Most Valued Members
9 hours ago, tommy456 said:

You could install v12 and then upgrade to 13  it runs fine without  the latest broken ms patches , in fact i haven't patched my Win7  since Dec 17 security only update, .net has been patched upto date  as has office

Always risky though. 

• Most Valued Members
4 hours ago, tommy456 said:

Risks of data loss can be minimized if you make regular system images and store on a external  ssd ,

More because support is ending and windows 10 has better security.

It means issues e.g. vulnerabilities won't be patched

• Administrators

As I have already mentioned, ESET will stop updating modules after Jan 27, 2020 if the OS doesn't support SHA-2 code signing by that time.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:30 PM, Marcos said:

With respect Marcos, my input was not what will happen in the future but was regarding the present , and i was suggesting a method that the OP could instal the product that they may well of paid for ,  but why is eset abandoning  sha-1? Are they just in cahoots with MS or is there a real security  risk ?

Edited by tommy456

Well until MS releases a stable UNBROKEN build on their bloated o/s  win10 I will avoid it like the plague i ain't no sheep that blindly follows the herd or believes the propaganda used to steer us

• Most Valued Members
16 hours ago, tommy456 said:

With respect Marcos, my input was not what will happen in the future but was regarding the present , and i was suggesting a method that the OP could instal the product that they may well of paid for ,  but why is eset abandoning  sha-1? Are they just in cahoots with MS or is there a real security  risk ?

13 hours ago, tommy456 said:

Well until MS releases a stable UNBROKEN build on their bloated o/s  win10 I will avoid it like the plague i ain't no sheep that blindly follows the herd or believes the propaganda used to steer us

I found an article about SHA-1 which seems to show that it is now unsecure https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/at-deaths-door-for-years-widely-used-sha1-function-is-now-dead/

As for eset being in cahoots with Microsoft. What it appears is the opposite. If SHA-1 is indeed unsecure eset wouldn't be a good security program if it was still using it and putting its customers potentially at risk.

As a windows 10 user I do feel it is far secure than previous versions. When new updates come there tends to be issues but they have made it easier to pause updates. 

I also never recommend people using unsupported versions of windows which soon windows 7 will be unsupported. You can try and protect it yourself but if bugs are not fixed you will always be potentially at risk

There are many things about win10 that i will avoid, the lack of control over updates is just one reason not to downgrade IMO, because it's MY hardware My PC  i therefore should have total control , plus MS with Win 10 no longer are selling you a product that you own it's now a service, whilst build upgrades are free  that could change in the future, but the extensive telemetry  most of which is hidden deep within and is always reverted following a build upgrade, and the METRO GUI That unlike with Win 8.1 can't be replaced with the classic shell, I have a stable machine and have had 60+ days without a restart

19 hours ago, tommy456 said:

but why is eset abandoning  sha-1? Are they just in cahoots with MS or is there a real security  risk ?

Way back in 2017 it was shown to be unsafe: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3173791/stop-using-sha1-it-s-now-completely-unsafe.html

It was officially deprecated as an Internet encryption standard last May: https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-lvelvindron-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate-01.html