ESET Endpoint Antivirus for Linux 7 BETA signup

• ESET Moderators

Dear Linux community,

We’ve been working on the new generation of our solution for Linux desktops for quite a while.

The hard work of our development & QA teams, using technologies developed for the ESET File Security for Linux 7, were materialized into the first BETA version of our Endpoint product, which we would like to share with you.

To mention just few of the top new features:

• Completely new distributed architecture, natively 64-bit, with better performance, security and stability
  • New technology for On-access scanning by means of ESET-in-house-developed lightweight kernel module  
  • Optimized for multi-core performance 
  • Compatible with latest ESET Security Management Center 7.1

If you are interested in getting a chance of a hands-on experience with it and see the full list of improvements, just leave a comment here or send me ( @Peter Randziak) and @TomasP a private message.

We are looking forward to your participation.

• ESET Moderators

Hello marco1958,

This is a beta for ESET Endpoint Antivirus, i.e. a product for desktop environments. The version you are referring to is probably ESET File Security, i.e. a server product.

We just posted the information in this "Linux Servers" forum section as well, because many Linux admins running ESET File Security may be interested in ESET Endpoint Antivirus as well.

• ESET Moderators

Hello @marco1958,

7.0.1152.0 is a version for file servers, this is a BETA of a product to protect Linux desktops i.e. systems on which the users work...

I will send you a private message in few moments with details.

Regards, Peter

What's the difference, from anti-virus/malware/... viewpoint, between a file server, with multiple clients accessing files via NFS/SMB/... and a workstation with a single user accessing local files and network resources? Is there a difference in attack vectors? In prevention, detection, ... I think every write should be processed. After virus updates, the reads should be monitored?  

• Most Valued Members
On 11/20/2019 at 2:34 PM, Peter Randziak said:

Dear Linux community,

We’ve been working on the new generation of our solution for Linux desktops for quite a while.

The hard work of our development & QA teams, using technologies developed for the ESET File Security for Linux 7, were materialized into the first BETA version of our Endpoint product, which we would like to share with you.

To mention just few of the top new features:

• Completely new distributed architecture, natively 64-bit, with better performance, security and stability
  • New technology for On-access scanning by means of ESET-in-house-developed lightweight kernel module  
  • Optimized for multi-core performance 
  • Compatible with latest ESET Security Management Center 7.1

If you are interested in getting a chance of a hands-on experience with it and see the full list of improvements, just leave a comment here or send me ( @Peter Randziak) and @TomasP a private message.

We are looking forward to your participation.

Does that include the Desktop Version (non endpoint)?

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

@marco1958 on Desktops / Terminal servers the users running the applications, on the file servers they do not.

The Desktop needs a notifications so the user knows why a file (malicious one) suddenly disappeared 🙂 

Yes monitoring of the R/W operations is crucial for protection and is handled by the on-access scanner.

@Rami this version is intended for business users mostly with ESMC management console, as the product does not have GUI, only notification manager, but one may commands to work with it...

Peter 

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello,

@marco1958 on Desktops / Terminal servers the users running the applications, on the file servers they do not.

The Desktop needs a notifications so the user knows why a file (malicious one) suddenly disappeared 🙂 

Yes monitoring of the R/W operations is crucial for protection and is handled by the on-access scanner.

@Rami this version is intended for business users mostly with ESMC management console, as the product does not have GUI, only notification manager, but one may commands to work with it...

Peter 

I understand , I might use it with our endpoint license , even though it's intended for terminal , but it's better than having the v4 , but I will wait for the stable version , because it's a production computer.

• ESET Moderators
30 minutes ago, Rami said:

I understand , I might use it with our endpoint license , even though it's intended for terminal , but it's better than having the v4 , but I will wait for the stable version , because it's a production computer.

I can provide you with a NFR license for testing.

We do not expect much issues, but I understand that you consider it as a risk for a production environment, but you may first try in a VM, later in production of you want to.

Peter

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 1:34 PM, Peter Randziak said:

Hello,

just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of using a proprietary kernel module instead of fanotify?

Edited by kermit80

On 11/25/2019 at 10:24 AM, Peter Randziak said:

this version is intended for business users mostly with ESMC management console, as the product does not have GUI, only notification manager, but one may commands to work with it...

There will be a gui in the final version?

Also, I'm currently testing Sophos anti-virus for linux on my computer. What would be the strenghts of ESET Endpoint compared to that product (apart from better detection capability, I guess)?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators
14 minutes ago, sysadminPA said:

would like to try it in my company. We use version 4.0.95 now.

ESET Endpoint Antivirus v7 has been already released as per the post above from Feb 27.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

ESET Endpoint Antivirus v7 has been already released as per the post above from Feb 27.

I have clicked on the link and I get this error.

Sorry, there is a problem

You do not have permission to view this content.

Error code: 2F173/H

I have written a message by clicking the "Contact us" button below the warning but got no reply. Is this an issue or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!