Scanning less objects

Tio

Hello people of the forum,

So I have been running computer scan on my nod32 frequently and I always had something around 420k objects scanned. Recently I found out that it's been scanning around 310k objects any idea why ? I haven't deleted any files or anything for that matter.  And what scan do you guys use the "Scan your computer or " Advanced scan "? 

I assume you have left Eset scan settings at the default settings. As such, the Smart scan profile would be in effect:

Smart scan: This is the default scanning profile. The Smart scan profile uses Smart Optimization technology, which excludes files that were found to be clean in a previous scan and have not been modified since that scan. This allows for lower scan times with a minimal impact to system security.

https://support.eset.com/en/advanced-scanning-options-in-eset-windows-home-products

Thanks fro the reply 

A friend of mine installed me the nod32 and I guess its on default settings when I press F5 under Malware scans  "On Demand scan " Selected profile - Smart scan I assume that is what u were referring to as a Smart scan ? Yesterday I did an in depth scan shows 0 threats ( happy) but would please tell me what are the best settings to adjust my av ? Should I change from Smart scan to in-depth, under HIPS the filtering mode its automatic mode, need any change ? Detection Engine - Scanner options : "Enable detection of potentially unsafe applications I have it on X - is it okay ?

4 hours ago, Tio said:

but would please tell me what are the best settings to adjust my av ?

Eset recommends running an in-depth scan once a month. This can be done by selecting the Custom scan option and selecting the in-depth profile for the scan.

For other on-demand off-line scanning, the default Smart scan profile provides the best protection and scan efficency.

4 hours ago, Tio said:

Detection Engine - Scanner options : "Enable detection of potentially unsafe applications I have it on X - is it okay ?

You're referring to the real-time scanning options here. As far as as I am concerned, all options should be enabled including potentially unwanted applications.

• Administrators

As for HIPS, it's better to use Smart mode than automatic mode. While it usually behaves like automatic mode, when certain suspicious operations are detected, it will ask you for an action.

Regarding detection of potentially unsafe applications, these cover legitimate tools that can be misused in the wrong hands, e.g. various password cracking tools, process killers, monitoring software, etc. We recommend enabling detection and adding pot. unsafe applications that you use on purpose to detection exclusions.

• Most Valued Members
16 hours ago, itman said:

I assume you have left Eset scan settings at the default settings. As such, the Smart scan profile would be in effect:

https://support.eset.com/en/advanced-scanning-options-in-eset-windows-home-products

I've always wondered as you can change file dates would it be possible for malware to try to abuse this e.g. same file size and change date so file appears to be old

5 hours ago, peteyt said:

I've always wondered as you can change file dates would it be possible for malware to try to abuse this e.g. same file size and change date so file appears to be old

Assumed is Eset's whitelisting includes a number of file identifiers including file hash value.

One thing that was discovered was Eset will not re-scan a file if it is renamed when using Smart Optimization. If that is a concern, the option can be disabled in Eset GUI real-time scanning options.

Issue is that I might have some cracking tools and if I Enable detection of potentially unsafe applications it might start detecting those tools , since I am not very knowledgeable I'm not sure which one's are safe to exclude from Eset :( .  If I leave it with an X and perform and in-depth scan from advanced scan will it detect any potentially unsafe apps ? My point being leave it with an X and perform weekly in-depth scans to somehow compensate the X. 

• Administrators

If you disable detection of potentially unsafe applications, it will be disabled throughout the product, ie. an in-depth scan will not detect pot. unsafe applications either.