Multiple ESET Servers - Same DB

• ESET Staff

No, it is not possible -> only active-passive cluster is supported, which means that only one server can run at a moment, but there can be multiple server instances ready to be started immediately.

What would be the usecase for running multiple servers?

I've two cases, which are similar.

1) Fallback mechanism (active-active), from your comment it's not possible, OK.

2) Say I want to make an update on the server OS and for that I'll make a new server and install ESET SMC in it. Is there a way to make the transition from the old server to the new server without loosing data? Temporary offline is OK. I just recently saw this seems to be documented in https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/70/en-US/migration_assistant.html?migration_same_version.html, I'll need to make a more detailed read first to see if I've any doubts.

Thanks!

From this guide:

https://help.eset.com/esmc_install/70/en-US/migration_assistant.html?clean_installation_same_ip.html

I don't see any reference to DB configuration, do we use the same login/db as the old server?

I'm assuming no information is lost in the DB when we start using the new server?

Thanks.

• ESET Staff

In short, ESMC stores all data in it's database, so in order to preserver all data, you have to move database to new server. That is why you have to search for "Migration scenarios" instead of "Clean installations" - so link to documentation in previous comment is not correct: it will retain only connections from AGENTs but no data. I would recommend to check Migrated Database - same IP address. Scenarios also differ in connections details - in case hostname or IP address of ESMC changes, also migration of certificates is required to retain AGENTs connectivity.

In short, without any details, migration would require to:

1. Stop old ESMC service and create full backup of database
  2. Install new DB server and import database backup created in previous step
  3. Ensure that new DB is properly configured (listening on TCP port + administrative access is available)
  4. Start new ESMC installation and in DB configuration wizard, point it to new DB server
  5. As a result, ESMC will be installed. It is probable it will be using newly generated certificates, so reverting to old ones as described in documentation might be required.